For my money, the one great band that was part of the whole Britpop thing, though others had their moments (even Oasis!). And they're back now fwiw

Their masterpiece, for me, is 13. But there are many highlights elsewhere, none better than this gorgeous ballad

This is arguably one of their lesser singles but I really like the Ray Davisesque lyric and that it's supposed to be about the Suede singer, who Albarn's then gf (the Elastica singer) used to date.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Thought the album had leaked then ffs.

Blur 8)

Not that it affects the music but Albarn seems like a very likeable person too.

Anyway I am looking forward to the new album.

Only God knows.

Love them, they really hit a sweet spot from Modern Life through 13, phenomenal run of albums. One of those bands I never knew (aside from Song 2) before I found MB despite being a big Gorillaz fan in high school.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Re Damon's other projects and collabs, I remember once asking a friend who was a big Blur fan "have you heard Damon's Chinese opera? Has some great stuff". She and a friend started laughing at how silly and "jumped the shark" this sounds but I said "don't knock it till you tried it" and sent her an mp3 of this song. The next day she played it on her uni radio show and thanked me on air before all of her single digit audience.

This was her favorite Blur song

Quote from: jadis on Jul 10, 2023, 09:17 AMRe Damon's other projects and collabs, I remember once asking a friend who was a big Blur fan "have you heard Damon's Chinese opera? Has some great stuff". She and a friend started laughing at how silly and "jumped the shark" this sounds but I said "don't knock it till you tried it" and sent her an mp3 of this song. The next day she played it on her uni radio show and thanked me on air before all of her single digit audience.

Y'know, I've never actually heard that soundtrack, much less seen the stage show.

I always respected Damon for branching out so much musically; I always wondered what 90s Blur fans thought when they heard "Clint Eastwood" for the first time and found out he was behind the Gorillaz stuff. If nothing else you have to respect the man's artistic range.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jul 15, 2023, 03:05 PMY'know, I've never actually heard that soundtrack, much less seen the stage show.

I always respected Damon for branching out so much musically; I always wondered what 90s Blur fans thought when they heard "Clint Eastwood" for the first time and found out he was behind the Gorillaz stuff. If nothing else you have to respect the man's artistic range.

Thought it was great and bought the album lolz. Second album was even better.  8)

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jul 15, 2023, 03:17 PMThought it was great and bought the album lolz. Second album was even better.  8)

Oh, very much same. Demon Days is a masterpiece IMO. In my junior year of high school when that album had just come out, I was taking a computer art class where the teacher let us throw on our Ipods during work time and I would listen to it frequently in that context.

I kinda fell off them after they went on hiatus after the third album, but I do love everything they did before that hiatus, very colorful and fun stuff and I dig the emphasis on collabs with other artists.

Although I'm a huge Oasis fan, I must admit that Blur's discography is probably more complete than Oasis. This single called "The Narcissist" released 2 months ago made me think about a lot of things, maybe because of the melody. Great band and sometimes I feel that in the 90s in America they were kinda underrated.

They were underrated even here imo and maybe still are cos of the Oasis comparison.

Looks like this new Blur album has got rave reviews. Forgot it was out on Friday so I'll get it ASAP. 8)

Only God knows.