We all do this or at least have done this at one or another point in our lives. Identify in whatever sense, however little or much actual similarity there is between you and that character, doesn't matter. Let's hear about it.

I'll go first

Tom Reagan from Miller's Crossing, played so seductively by Gabriel Byrne

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Peter from Office Space for me. 

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Morticia Addams, definitely a personal icon for me.

Elegant and darkly romantic with a definite quirky mom energy. We didn't do anything for Halloween last year, but if we do this year I really want to motion for us to go as her and Gomez.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Two strong favorites for me are Number 6 and Number 48 from the controversial "Fall Out" finale of the 1967 ITC series, The Prisoner - such iconic and philosophical characters.

Number 6

Number 48

(I'm like this all the time.)

Alexander from Fanny and Alexander.

I was very much like that as a kid, and there are some similarities between our childhoods too

Sam Lowry, a somewhat spineless man oppressed by work and circumstance. The only place he is free and brave is in his dreams.

I also assume he too likes the song Aquarela do Brasil.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 13, 2023, 02:40 PMMorticia Addams, definitely a personal icon for me.

Elegant and darkly romantic with a definite quirky mom energy. We didn't do anything for Halloween last year, but if we do this year I really want to motion for us to go as her and Gomez.

We went as Gomez and Wednesday and it was like one month before that netflix thing came out and it suddenly became annoyingly ubiquitous.

Not that I ever was a big fan of the movie. The actors are amazing but something about its humor is not for me 

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jun 13, 2023, 09:50 PMTwo strong favorites for me are Number 6 and Number 48 from the controversial "Fall Out" finale of the 1967 ITC series, The Prisoner - such iconic and philosophical characters.

Number 6

Number 48

Interesting choice, two for the price of one... I like the Prisoner, though imho that finale is a bit too wordy. My favorite episodes are the one where it's basically an Avengers tribute and the one where there's something with injections of hallucinogens and there's some switcheroo afoot. That one was really stunning 

Quote from: Marie Monday on Jun 13, 2023, 10:13 PMAlexander from Fanny and Alexander.

I was very much like that as a kid, and there are some similarities between our childhoods too

I really need to watch this. Seen quite of a few of his "darker" ones so far but avoided this somehow until now

#7 Jun 16, 2023, 07:49 PM Last Edit: Jun 16, 2023, 08:35 PM by jadis
Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jun 13, 2023, 09:50 PMTwo strong favorites for me are Number 6 and Number 48 from the controversial "Fall Out" finale of the 1967 ITC series, The Prisoner - such iconic and philosophical characters.

Number 6

Number 48

One film where I definitely sympathized with both the protagonist and the antagonist is the great Three Days of the Condor, with Robert Redford as the guy on the run and a spellbinding Max von Sydow as the cosmopolitan elite assassin who's after him. Maybe not on the first viewing, where you hate the cold blooded killer and root for Redford, but after you realize the story is a bit more complicated than that, you begin to see there's a certain Tom Reaganesque allure to Joubert, the man who "knows all the angles" and so forth