Carcass

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Strapping Young Lad - Wrongside

Portal - Abysmill

Some really cool avant-garde metal. I love the guitar tones used throughout the album.

I like "post metal" which gets to be in quotes because it isn't a real genre. Mostly atmospheric sludge is what my taste is but I've been meaning to branch out into atmospheric black metal.

Quote from: robhr on Jan 28, 2024, 03:56 AMI like "post metal" which gets to be in quotes because it isn't a real genre. Mostly atmospheric sludge is what my taste is but I've been meaning to branch out into atmospheric black metal.

Doomgaze is good too Post-Metal's got some great bands I love those posty's

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jan 29, 2024, 12:59 AMDoomgaze is good too Post-Metal's got some great bands I love those posty's

Yes, doomgaze must be explored by me too.

Quote from: robhr on Jan 29, 2024, 01:26 AMYes, doomgaze must be explored by me too.

btw if genres aren't real words aren't real, it's all made up lol

I mean if you look at a word long enough u end up being like ???

anyways yeah u should check out this band Pyramids, they have some sort of connection with Blut Aus Nord but take it in a more decidedly Blackgaze/Post-Metal direction and the vocals are cleaner, the music sort of sounds like pretty industrial metal lol it's good!!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jan 29, 2024, 03:36 AMbtw if genres aren't real words aren't real, it's all made up lol

I mean if you look at a word long enough u end up being like ???

anyways yeah u should check out this band Pyramids, they have some sort of connection with Blut Aus Nord but take it in a more decidedly Blackgaze/Post-Metal direction and the vocals are cleaner, the music sort of sounds like pretty industrial metal lol it's good!!

I know, but as with things like "screamo," "post-metal" is a misnomer. What we call "post-metal" is actually a collection of genres. I still use the word as it is a good word but I always put it in quotations or make air quotes when I say it.

I will give them a looksee I enjoy industrial as well.

Optimally, genres should be like biology's taxonomy.

So Carnivora is an order. It contains various families of carnivores, here represented by Felidae, Canidae and Ursidae which again contains (among others) the genuses Felis (cats), Canis (wolves) and Ursus (bears).. which each again contain several species.

So an Ursus horribilis belongs to several taxonomic levels;

The genus Ursus
The family Ursidae
The order Carnivora
The class Mammalia
The phylum Chordata
The kingdom Animalia

So too could Doomsludge be a genre under Post Metal which is under Metal, which is eventually a branch under Rock.

Of course any system would get mucked up, but at least that's something that could potentially make a little sense to me.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 06:45 AMOptimally, genres should be like biology's taxonomy.

So Carnivora is an order. It contains various families of carnivores, here represented by Felidae, Canidae and Ursidae which again contains (among others) the genuses Felis (cats), Canis (wolves) and Ursus (bears).. which each again contain several species.

The genus Ursus
The family Ursidae
The order Carnivora
The class Mammalia
The phylum Chordata
The kingdom Animalia

So too could Doomsludge be a genre under Post Metal which is under Metal, which is eventually a branch under Rock.

Of course any system would get mucked up, but at least that's something that could potentially make a little sense to me.

Yes, however to use an example... "Atmospheric sludge." Atmospheric sludge came out of sludge which came out of doom which came out of metal. The term "post-metal" took several different genres that already existed within a class and lumped them altogether in a new artificial class. And lumping things together in a new artificial class would be an incorrect use of the system you described.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 06:45 AMOptimally, genres should be like biology's taxonomy.

The genus Ursus
The family Ursidae
The order Carnivora
The class Mammalia
The phylum Chordata
The kingdom Animalia

cough

https://rateyourmusic.com/genres/

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Jan 29, 2024, 06:49 AMcough

https://rateyourmusic.com/genres/

Yes, Discord also has or had their own taxonomy that I used for tagging my own collection some 15 years ago. Inside rateyourmusic or discogs, self-contained little systems, it can work just fine.

Problem is in the real world there's no consensus or authority, so who's to say which idea or even definition of a genre is the right one?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 29, 2024, 03:48 PMYes, Discord also has or had their own taxonomy that I used for tagging my own collection some 15 years ago. Inside rateyourmusic or discogs, self-contained little systems, it can work just fine.

Problem is in the real world there's no consensus or authority, so who's to say which idea or even definition of a genre is the right one?

[Rant Ahead]

Genre descriptions are so asinine to me.

Alt rock, metal and punk communities get so unnecessarily pissy about it. Like, people will tell me that the umbrella of "emo" includes bands as soft as American Football and as hard as Orchid. And yet somehow simultaneously there's absolutely no room under that umbrella for Silverstein or From First to Last or any "mall bands". Those must be strictly filed under post-hardcore, because there's never been any bands that could be described by more than one label in all of history.

And there's so much elitism, particularly on the metal side. Metalheads would mercilessly rip my taste apart if I ever so much as included a metalcore or scene band in a list of favorite bands. It didn't matter that I also loved Slayer and Pantera and Metallica and other "actual" metal bands, if the genre police found my Myspace page and saw that I listened to "poser scene kid metal" like Bring Me the Horizon or The Devil Wears Prada I would be mocked and ostracized.

So all I had was my fellow poser scene kids, and I'm thankful for that.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jan 29, 2024, 04:32 PM[Rant Ahead]

Genre descriptions are so asinine to me.

Alt rock, metal and punk communities get so unnecessarily pissy about it. Like, people will tell me that the umbrella of "emo" includes bands as soft as American Football and as hard as Orchid. And yet somehow simultaneously there's absolutely no room under that umbrella for Silverstein or From First to Last or any "mall bands". Those must be strictly filed under post-hardcore, because there's never been any bands that could be described by more than one label in all of history.

And there's so much elitism, particularly on the metal side. Metalheads would mercilessly rip my taste apart if I ever so much as included a metalcore or scene band in a list of favorite bands. It didn't matter that I also loved Slayer and Pantera and Metallica and other "actual" metal bands, if the genre police found my Myspace page and saw that I listened to "poser scene kid metal" like Bring Me the Horizon or The Devil Wears Prada I would be mocked and ostracized.

So all I had was my fellow poser scene kids, and I'm thankful for that.

I love genres for the history and sociology aspect, but yaaaa ur so right...

those circles especially are so militant about getting their words right it's honestly so restrictive, if genres are supposed to be a jumping off point they have filled the pool with concrete.  You'd think that with their attachment to the genre names that they'd be more explorative of them, but nah I find it likely usually that they hold so strongly to the terms bc they only listen to like butt Hardcore 3-chord bands (in punk circles) and the same 3 metal genres that have existed since the 80s (in case of metalheads).  Like, terms are malleable, and esp in the case of post-hardcore I can back up with a list of over 300/400 bands that says post-hardcore has been thru many many variations bc newsflash lol genres develop and change over time.  Not even just that, but the fact that the old waves influence the new ones means anyone that denies things fit in certain genres is being ignorant of the history, and ridiculous to boot.  Like I said, they r made up words lol, ppl get too angry over it just enjoy the frickin tunes  8)