What metal are you folks listening to lately?

The album Psychocephalic Spawning by Effluence is a bonkers and inhuman mixture of brutal death metal and free jazz. It's probably about as extreme as metal gets.

Some black/thrash from this year that's pretty good. Not very original, but still a good listen.

It should come as a surprise to absolutely no one that this is my favorite Black Sabbath song. In early 2020 just before Covid hit, I actually started (or planned to start) a stoner metal band that was just synths and drums, inspired very directly by this song.

I kinda lost contact with my drummer friend who was going to be in the band, but listening to this song always brings back that pre-Covid optimism that we were going to totally crush it with this band thing.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I'm a very proud Sabaton fan, loving the new King Gizzard, and I'm a life long Metallica fan. Beyond that, I listen to metal like I do all other genres. I'm more into songs than albums, and I typically find a lot of albums have 2+ songs worth of filler.

I really wish Eternal Champion would put out more. The Armor of Ire was incredible. I also generally like Mastodon, but I haven't found a way to love them as I do other bands. To whatever degree TOOL is metal, I like them as well. Some one-off tracks that are always in rotation

Wings of Feather & Wax - Killer Be Killed
Pilgrim - Arch Enemy
The Coheed version of The Trooper
Speaking of Coheed I think a few tracks of theirs should count: Dark Sentencer, Vic the Butcher, maybe Welcome Home
The sometimes stoner-metal of Clutch I enjoy

I don't really like Cookie Monster vocals, or those Black Metal yappy shrieks. But I try to branch out. Open to recommendations.

I don't listen to much metal at all, but I did enjoy this cover that I discovered recently and have probably posted elsewhere as well.

Of course I like the original and Megadeth in general :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

Not exactly metal in this instance but if you like Mastodon and/or hard hitting synth music I would highly recommend Arcadea. It's a Mastodon side project that's all synths and drums.

Very intense and ridiculously heavy sludge metal. Good music for when you're feeling pissed off and want to punch someone.

Whoa, blast from the past! I forgot all about that band, I listened to that album a bunch in college.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jun 21, 2023, 10:12 PMWhoa, blast from the past! I forgot all about that band, I listened to that album a bunch in college.
I'm only discovering it now. It's one hell of an album!

Caustic RNA Transmogrification- sounds orginal good drummer i like the random like kid drum sounds here in there

Hellripper-ehhh classic metal

man yall really like mastodon huh there drummer is great and that side project sounds dope KBK also a mastodon side thing AA sounds slow n heavy straight nu metal like

when i go to music stores i just grab random stuff in the metal section stuff i never heard the name of before or also go buy the artwork :P these 2 i had recently discovered

both bands are dope and im glad there both carrying the torch for METAL !!!!

I woke up too early this morning and I'm a bit cranky because of it so I listened to this during my morning walk. Some br00tal slam was just what I needed today.

I just seen Metallica twice as part of their 72 seasons tour, I had never seen them before and they blew my head off.

What a band. How those guys can pull that off at 60 I'll never know. They were incredible and played amazingly on both nights.

I've been starting to enjoy metal more over the last few years.. considering all I ever used to listen to was electronica, it has been quite a change 😂

Quote from: FETCHER. on Jun 28, 2023, 10:37 PMI just seen Metallica twice as part of their 72 seasons tour, I had never seen them before and they blew my head off.

What a band. How those guys can pull that off at 60 I'll never know. They were incredible and played amazingly on both nights.

I've been starting to enjoy metal more over the last few years.. considering all I ever used to listen to was electronica, it has been quite a change 😂

Ah, nice! I saw them back in 2003, I remember them being really good, but it was a huge arena show and to be honest my senses were pretty overwhelmed by the whole experience. It was like my fourth or fifth ever concert as well.

My music journey was kind of the opposite haha, I was a rock kid through and through with just a couple electronic artists, mostly rock or pop adjacent. After I discovered my love of synthesizers I dove headfirst into the electronic world, though I still listen to a lot of rock.

Car Bomb - Black Blood

Crowbar - Planets Collide

Dir En Grey - Vinushka