#15 Aug 12, 2023, 06:37 PM Last Edit: Aug 12, 2023, 06:41 PM by degrassi.knoll
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 12, 2023, 05:29 PMI don't know how you're getting all that from the title Guybrush chose, I think you might be reading a bit too much into his reasons for choosing that title and making assumptions about his intentions.

As someone who is classed as obese by BMI, I don't think it's the most accurate title either regarding the realities of obesity, but I think Guybrush means well, he certainly does not seem like someone who would deem anyone "beneath" him or think being fat is bad.

I wasn't referring to the title implying all that. I was referring to the previous discussion. I called the title tone-deaf, yes.

As always, if I am speaking to a specific "you" I will make that clear. Anything else is to be taken as general statement. Ffs.

Tore knows if I'm going to call him out on something I don't pussyfoot around.

a particle; a fragment of totality

Quote from: degrassi.knoll on Aug 12, 2023, 06:37 PMI wasn't referring to the title implying all that. I was referring to the previous discussion. I called the title tone-deaf, yes.

Ah, gotcha. I misread your posts, thanks for the clarification.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Random thoughts I have on this issue...

I find the Coach Greg video unbearable for several reasons, including his tone and the fact that he frames it as a black and white health issue, as though it's that simple.

Personally I find this issue a bit tricky to address. First of all, because everything I'll say is bound to be through the prism of what makes my dick hard. No way around it, I'm afraid. The women I like tend to be approximately of the Barbie Ferreira body type, not the Lizzo body type, which I find unappealing. BUT every single woman I know who is of the curvy Barbie Ferreira body type, which I find irresistible, has deep-seated psychological issues with her body image. Whether due to internalized hatred from looking at swimsuit catalogues or from idiots commenting on their instagram photos or not finding clothes that fit or all of the above. They all know they're beautiful and their bodies are feminine and natural, and they're still messed up over looking like they do. So the body positivity thing is not just about women of Lizzo's size but about every woman who doesn't look like a Russian tennis player.

The one time I bodyshamed someone was by saying she's gotten too thin. During Covid I DMed on Instagram someone I used to hook up with in NYC a couple of years earlier. I told her something like "you know, I really thought the curvy version of you was so hot, don't let the body fascism of podcaster X get to your head." She replied saying that she had health issues after Covid and that I was a cretin and a moron and blocked me. Fair enough.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Aug 12, 2023, 07:06 PMRandom thoughts I have on this issue...

I find the Coach Greg video unbearable for several reasons, including his tone and the fact that he frames it as a black and white health issue, as though it's that simple.

Personally I find this issue a bit tricky to address. First of all, because everything I'll say is bound to be through the prism of what makes my dick hard. No way around it, I'm afraid. The women I like tend to be approximately of the Barbie Ferreira body type, not the Lizzo body type, which I find unappealing. BUT every single woman I know who is of the curvy Barbie Ferreira body type, which I find irresistible, has deep-seated psychological issues with her body image. Whether due to internalized hatred from looking at swimsuit catalogues or from idiots commenting on their instagram photos or not finding clothes that fit or all of the above. They all know they're beautiful and their bodies are feminine and natural, and they're still messed up over looking like they do. So the body positivity thing is not just about women of Lizzo's size but about every woman who doesn't look like a Russian tennis player.

The one time I bodyshamed someone was by saying she's gotten too thin. During Covid I DMed on Instagram someone I used to hook up with in NYC a couple of years earlier. I told her something like "you know, I really thought the curvy version of you was so hot, don't let the body fascism of podcaster X get to your head." She replied saying that she had health issues after Covid and that I was a cretin and a moron and blocked me. Fair enough.

I think this all the time but you aren't supposed to vocalize it. :laughing:  The recipient will never take it well. She acted accordingly given the situation. I don't blame her.

When certain women lose weight, I'm like aww I liked you better when you were on the chubbier side but I also realize they didn't lose weight for me and my pleasure.

Lizzo's body type gets me rock hard besides that minor disclaimer to maybe see why I'm biased or trying to defend her.

It's more just that the initial video is cringe as fuck. I don't know why people need to go around telling people what they need to eat and don't need to eat to adhere to some body image standard they have in their own head.

Even my grandmother does it all the time, she will ask me on the phone what I ate and then proceed to tell me that I need to stop eating this and eat more of this or that. The easiest way I go about shutting her up is to ask her when she got her certificate to be a nutritionist. If she can't present me with the paperwork I don't want to hear jack shit coming out of her mouth related to my personal diet and what I should and should NOT be eating. Mind you she's a hefty woman herself that should be taking her own advice but she's NOT.

It's so weird that society as a whole don't want to see fat people winning. If someone is fat and happy, they feel like they have to go extra hard to tear them down.

"but it's unhealthy to carry around all that weight"

So what!? it's unhealthy to do a lot of things in life that people do willingly, Ie. smoking tobacco.

Let fat people have confidence and wear whatever the fuck they want to wear. I always tell my partner she can outside wearing whatever the fuck she wants as long as she is comfortable in it and also comfortable with the male gaze that she's gonna produce but at the end of the day that's her choice not mines. I hate it when she wants my opinion like on a dress or whatever. I may like it on her but at the end of the day the choice should be hers because she ultimately has to wear it and what if I'm not around. She has to feel confident and comfortable enough to wear it like even when I'm not around.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 13, 2023, 01:08 PMLet fat people have confidence and wear whatever the fuck they want to wear. I always tell my partner she can outside wearing whatever the fuck she wants as long as she is comfortable in it and also comfortable with the male gaze that she's gonna produce but at the end of the day that's her choice not mines. I hate it when she wants my opinion like on a dress or whatever. I may like it on her but at the end of the day the choice should be hers because she ultimately has to wear it and what if I'm not around. She has to feel confident and comfortable enough to wear it like even when I'm not around.

I like this attitude. In my case I very much do value my partner's opinion on what I wear, but a big reason for that is that the outfits he likes me to wear are the ones that do make me feel confident and comfortable. So even though our relationship dynamic is different, I think we definitely relate to the same ideas.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Aug 13, 2023, 02:10 PM2023's Most Overweight and Obese Cities in the U.S.

if you look at the stats, people like to clown the US as being a fat country but Abu Dabir has passed us and their residents are more fat than we are.

Same goes for Mexico, they are catching up to or have surpassed the states when it comes to weight. I'd have to go look up the world statistics but it's kind of funny we still get the reputation of being like the fattest country when that's no longer true.

I feel like the "fat acceptance" people are way less obnoxious than the "fat is bad" people. It's just a very thinly disguised way of making fun of fat people so just call it like it is.

The fat acceptance people are largely just fat people who are trying to accept themselves and have self esteem and confidence so the idea of shitting on people trying to do that comes across as so try-hard edgy to me. Low hanging fruit.

Quote from: Dirty on Aug 26, 2023, 08:35 AMI feel like the "fat acceptance" people are way less obnoxious than the "fat is bad" people. It's just a very thinly disguised way of making fun of fat people so just call it like it is.

The fat acceptance people are largely just fat people who are trying to accept themselves and have self esteem and confidence so the idea of shitting on people trying to do that comes across as so try-hard edgy to me. Low hanging fruit.

You hit the nail on the head here. Also the fat is bad people are super disingenuous pretending like they care about the person's health and not wanting them to die early. Fuck outta here.

I think I mentioned my impression of French people is roughly like: imagine going into a bakery and wanting to buy a snack. The person behind the counter is like should you eat that? You're already fat.

That's hyperbole of course, but comparatively speaking, cultures down south on the continent seem much less filtered and way more honest in a judgy way, even towards strangers.

I don't think that's necessarily bad, but it's like the antithesis of Norwegian social culture which is more about trying not to be a nuisance to anyone - even like not too cool, not too loud, not take up too much space etc. We're not a fat shaming people, reserving that sort of feedback to the people who are closest to us, like maybe a brother, partner or a daughter. And then it's less about shaming and finding the right balance between supporting a positive self-image and wanting to steer someone towards healthier living.

There are always some outliers, but that's the average Norwegian.

Happiness is a warm manatee

When it comes to fat acceptance advocates, I'm only annoyed at the extreme few (I've only very occasionally seen that on tumblr I think) who pretend being very overweight is not unhealthy at all. In doing that, you implicity go along with the (phony) reasoning of the 'fat is bad' people that if it's unhealthy, they deserve shit for it.
Those 'fat is bad' people, on the other hand, are just desperate for reasons to feel better about themselves by putting others down. There are plenty things more unhealthy than being fat which they don't make a fuss about either, and if they really felt concern for people's health, they would voice it in a more constructive way. Also, as if that attitude towards fat people hasn't caused heaps of health malaise in the form of eating disorders.