#120 Apr 24, 2024, 09:50 PM Last Edit: Apr 24, 2024, 09:53 PM by Key
Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 24, 2024, 08:31 PMI finished Fallout last night. So what are the details that might have had more of an impact on me?

Spoiler

The city he looks at is the main area of one of the better Fallout games, New Vegas. and there's so much craziness that happens there that it's exciting to imagine what they are going to do with it as a setting in the next season. It's one of my favorite Fallout games for sure, so I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it. It's the only 3D Fallout game that was made by Obsidian and everything about it is awesome. I nearly screamed when I saw it. For example, there's a club in New Vegas that is run by Elvis impersonators.

There's also a massive story arc for a character named Mr House so I'm hoping they jump into his story a bit more in the next season.
[close]

Quote from: Key on Apr 24, 2024, 09:50 PM
Spoiler

The city he looks at is the main area of one of the better Fallout games, New Vegas. and there's so much craziness that happens there that it's exciting to imagine what they are going to do with it as a setting in the next season. It's one of my favorite Fallout games for sure, so I'm really looking forward to seeing where they go with it. It's the only 3D Fallout game that was made by Obsidian and everything about it is awesome. I nearly screamed when I saw it. For example, there's a club in New Vegas that is run by Elvis impersonators.

There's also a massive story arc for a character named Mr House so I'm hoping they jump into his story a bit more in the next season.
[close]

Spoiler
Haha, I assumed that was Seattle at the end.

Also, my old landlord was Mr. House. :laughing:
[close]

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Key on Apr 24, 2024, 09:50 PM
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
You forgot to mention the Deathclaw skull which are from FallOut 4 but they might place them into the New Vegas setting.
[close]

I was this cool the whole time.

Thanks to my secret benefactor, I was able to watch Mr Bates Vs The Post Office 🙂

I listen to BBC World News in the weekends and that's probably where I picked up on this story about the huge number of subpostmasters who have been persecuted and harassed by the British post office.

The series is relatively short (4 episodes) and very good with occasional very good acting. The fact it's based on a true story and events makes it a lot more impactful.

Something sad is I read the production cost more than they've been able to make back, despite the series' huge popularity in the UK. The problem is apparently selling it abroad.

Anyways, it's probably well worth a watch if this looks like it might be for you.

:4stars:

Happiness is a warm manatee

I started watching Culprits and the first episode has me hooked already. I love Heist-esque shows/movies.

I was this cool the whole time.

We saw Baby Reindeer. Did I forget to mention that? It was a good series and a little unfortunate with all the controversy in the aftermath.

We also watched The Red King!

This was something I had to get my hands on due to it being so inspired by The Wicker Man. It is essentially a modern take on a very similar story. This time a young female police officer gets a job to police an island community and again, there's a child missing. It retraces the steps of The Wicker Man, but being a series with much longer running time, it adds a few new ones as well.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it and also appreciated its englishness and the way it feels made for the smaller screen, if that makes sense.

Anjli Mohindra was fun to watch in her role as Grace, an uncompromising police officer having to deal with misogyny, racism and also your basic xenophobia on top of her missing person case.

I can't see everyone digging this, but if you like 1973's Wicker Man, this is a good bet.

#126 Jun 04, 2024, 09:16 AM Last Edit: Jun 04, 2024, 09:19 AM by Guybrush
I also enjoyed Bodkin, another crime thriller.

An Irish journalist living in London and working for The Guardian is sent (back) to Ireland. Her latest story has gotten too hot. To evade the heat, she's to cooperate with an American podcaster who is researching a cold case of three people who went missing on Samhain 25 years ago in the small seaside village Bodkin.

That's the basic premise. It actually shares some themes with The Red King, but is a bit slower paced and not quite as dramatic. Siobhan Cullen's character's extreme cynicism feels a bit tiring and parodic at times, but Will Forte's podcaster is endearing enough. The star of the show may actually be David Wilmot who plays early suspect and criminal fisherman Seamus Gallagher, combining both danger and warmth in a layered character.

It won't be anyone's favourite from 2024, but if it looks like a good fit, you'll probably enjoy it.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jun 04, 2024, 09:03 AMWe saw Baby Reindeer. Did I forget to mention that? It was a good series and a little unfortunate with all the controversy in the aftermath.

We also watched The Red King!

This was something I had to get my hands on due to it being so inspired by The Wicker Man. It is essentially a modern take on a very similar story. This time a young female police officer gets a job to police an island community and again, there's a child missing. It retraces the steps of The Wicker Man, but being a series with much longer running time, it adds a few new ones as well.

Overall, I quite enjoyed it and also appreciated its englishness and the way it feels made for the smaller screen, if that makes sense.

Anjli Mohindra was fun to watch in her role as Grace, an uncompromising police officer having to deal with misogyny, racism and also your basic xenophobia on top of her missing person case.

I can't see everyone digging this, but if you like 1973's Wicker Man, this is a good bet.

Yep I watched The Red King, finished it last night. It was pretty good (with a sequel possible given the ending) but overall I kind of dislike these "ancient religion" style crime thrillers. I ditched, I think it was, The Third Day, something like that, for similar reasons. I must say, it did (spoiler) blow my head off at one point!  :laughing:

I guess I'd watch a sequel, though you have to wonder how they'd continue the story now. Very graphically violent I felt, which is no bad thing, in its place. Obviously took no tips from The Godfather though! An unnecessarily dismal ending, would you agree? I like Marc Warren in everything I've seen him in - have you watched the reboot of Van der Valk? It's really quite good.

Quote from: Trollheart on Jun 05, 2024, 03:49 AMYep I watched The Red King, finished it last night. It was pretty good (with a sequel possible given the ending) but overall I kind of dislike these "ancient religion" style crime thrillers. I ditched, I think it was, The Third Day, something like that, for similar reasons. I must say, it did (spoiler) blow my head off at one point!  :laughing:

I guess I'd watch a sequel, though you have to wonder how they'd continue the story now. Very graphically violent I felt, which is no bad thing, in its place. Obviously took no tips from The Godfather though! An unnecessarily dismal ending, would you agree? I like Marc Warren in everything I've seen him in - have you watched the reboot of Van der Valk? It's really quite good.

The ending is the best part about The Wicker Man, but I guess they felt after taking everything else, at least they should make the ending for Red King different? Quite weak as you say, but at least it makes possible a season 2. I'd probably watch it 😄 I did like Anjli Mohindra..

I have not seen Van Der Valk, either the old or the new.

Eeey, anyone seen Ripley on Netflix?

Is it entertaining?

Recent shows watched:

Reginald the Vampire season 2: excellent, clever and on-point series in the Buffy vein (sorry), based on the Fat Vampire novels. Thoroughly enjoyed, looking forward to the next season.

Hrry Wild season 2: Quirky, light-hearted detective show set in Ireland and starring Jane Seymour. Good stuff. Recommended.

The Turkish Detective: Started this but it really didn't grip me, plus the mixture of subtitles and English sections makes it a little off-putting. Not to mention that episode 3 was signed* so that turned me off. It really wasn't good enough to go searching for to download. Meh.

The Twelve: Courtroom/murder drama based on the Belgian original (see below). Looks good so far, this one is Australian-based and stars Sam Neill.

Poldark Season 3: Already mentioned, still watching, still great.

The Brothers: Still watching this. Oh, the fashion and the music of the 1970s!  :laughing:

The Outlaws season 3: It all comes together finally in what is, I assume, the last season of Stephen Merchant's clever comedy drama series based around community service offenders. Watch out for a guest slot from season 2 regular Christopher Walken!

Telemarketer$: compelling documentary detailing the takedown of the scams behind call centres for supposed charities. Slow to get going but well worth sticking with.

Sherlock: What need I say? I watched this before and ripped the piss out of it, went back and gave it another try and now love it. Have watched it all. Superb.

The Twelve: Cinderella Murders: The original Belgian series, as mentioned above, but I think this may be a second season? Not sure, but excellent with a damn fine twist that I nevertheless saw coming.

* Signed? Yeah I don't know if they do it over in the US, but here they have special versions of programmes for people who are deaf or hard of hearing, where they have a "signer" - person doing sign language - who usually occupies the bottom right-hand corner of the screen, forcing the main picture to be squeezed up smaller. I recognise the need for such a service, but signers just distract me, especially when there are subtitles to read. If I see SL (Sign Language) on a programme I just don't bother.

Waiting to be watched:

House of the Dragon season 2: Just waiting till I have them all (one to go I think)

DI Ray season 2: Gripping cop drama. Enjoyed season 1, the new season only begins tonight.

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder: No idea, but it looks good. Collecting it as I write

The Cleaning Lady season 2: Loved season one, just doing the usual, getting it all together before I begin watching it.

Under the Banner of Heaven: I think this is an Australian murder thingy. Same as above.

The Dropout: Watched some of it, then caught up so now waiting for the rest to be shown before I complete it.

Belgravia: The Next Chapter: No idea, but I think a Downtown Abbey/Bridgerton thing? Just started.

Big Little Lies: Suburban drama comedy? I'll give it a go. One episode so far.

Bergen: Power and Glory: Season four I think of the Norwegian political thriller.

Interview with the Vampire: Well duh! As if I would miss this. Only two episodes shown so far though.

The Jetty: Another murder drama. Ongoing.

End of Summer: Murder drama in which it seems the victim may not be dead after all.

The Serial Killer's Wife: Needs no explanation. Ongoing.

Sommerdahl Murders: Another of my scandi-drama/Nordic noir deals.

Klangor: May be about a prison, not sure. Might be a psychlogist involved too.

Granite Harbour: Scottish murder drama thingy.

Heat: Family become trapped by a brush fire, secrets come out, yadda yadda.