Quote from: Jwb on May 31, 2023, 03:27 AMOther than the waves i don't get why you would even swim in the ocean lol.  It's nasty sticky salt water which is always potentially hiding a prehistoric apex predator that could grab you at any moment.

You're from Florida too?

I love feeling the power of the waves on my body, how they crash on you and can pull you in if you're not careful. Something pretty hypnotic about it.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

#61 May 31, 2023, 09:48 PM Last Edit: May 31, 2023, 09:52 PM by Marie Monday
^this

In the sea I only go as far as my feet can still touch the ground comfortably, but I love feeling the violence of the waves. This summer a single wave knocked over and scrambled me like a washing machine and I was limping for a day after, 10/10 top experience

In general I don't bother with swimming unless it's in natural water. But I'm Dutch so I'm spoiled in that regard (I'm also from a particularly watery area even by Dutch standards); not having good natural swimming water within walking distance at all times has been one of the greatest culture shocks for me

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 31, 2023, 05:55 PMswimming in the sea is good for you

i'm pretty scared of it though

the drone footage of how many sharks are out there locally is intimidating to me plus once the current grabs you yikes

it's been a while but i plan on swimming in the sea some this summer

i mean it's a part of life

Did you catch this story? A young 18 year old guy jumped off a cruise ship somewhere in the Bahamas on a dare - and then swam away from the life preserver they threw down for him - it's looking like a shark got him. They've got some aggressive sharks in that area (bull shark/tiger shark):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12143937/Shadowy-image-water-near-baseball-star-explain-swam-AWAY-life-preserver.html

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 31, 2023, 09:48 PM^this

In the sea I only go as far as my feet can still touch the ground comfortably, but I love feeling the violence of the waves. This summer a single wave knocked over and scrambled me like a washing machine and I was limping for a day after, 10/10 top experience

In general I don't bother with swimming unless it's in natural water. But I'm Dutch so I'm spoiled in that regard (I'm also from a particularly watery area even by Dutch standards); not having good natural swimming water within walking distance at all times has been one of the greatest culture shocks for me

I occasionally swim in the ocean, but for my wife and I, just the experience of walking the beach near the shoreline is an incredibly relaxing experience. Seeing the seagulls tromping around, hearing the waves crash and recede, seeing the boats speed by, etc. My wife loves collecting seashells and looking for sand dollars. I just really like beach walks and letting my mind zone out.

Quote from: SGR on May 31, 2023, 10:07 PMDid you catch this story? A young 18 year old guy jumped off a cruise ship somewhere in the Bahamas on a dare - and then swam away from the life preserver they threw down for him - it's looking like a shark got him. They've got some aggressive sharks in that area (bull shark/tiger shark):

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12143937/Shadowy-image-water-near-baseball-star-explain-swam-AWAY-life-preserver.html

i think that was a dolphin

i don't think he was eaten i think he drowned

i also think the average iq of his graduating class went up a few points

Last line ffs :laughing:

RIP tho

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 31, 2023, 10:38 PMi think that was a dolphin

i don't think he was eaten i think he drowned

i also think the average iq of his graduating class went up a few points

I don't pretend to be a shark/porpoise expert, but the way that the fish (or mammal) quickly thrashed in the water made me think shark.

Also, at least he'll go out knowing that, unlike the rest of his graduating class, he wasn't a pussy. :laughing:

Quote from: SGR on May 31, 2023, 11:13 PMI don't pretend to be a shark/porpoise expert, but the way that the fish (or mammal) quickly thrashed in the water made me think shark.

Also, at least he'll go out knowing that, unlike the rest of his graduating class, he wasn't a pussy. :laughing:

he got wet and eaten like one though

I love the sea and swimming in it 🙂

I've always lived close to the sea and was boating around on my own as a kid and spent hours and hours fishing, often on my own. I honestly don't understand how my parents would let me. I'm thankful for it, though.

When we were teenagers, we'd sometimes take the boat out at around midnight to pick edible crabs off the reefs. I love marine invertebrates and love to catch crabs and shrimps etc. with the kids.

Just being on a boat, feeling the waves, the spray, hearing the seagulls, the taste of the saltwater. Going for a cold swim, then lying down on a reef warmed by the sun. All this stuff is like magically comforting.

I want the ocean to be my final resting place ❤️

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: SGR on May 31, 2023, 10:07 PMDid you catch this story? A young 18 year old guy jumped off a cruise ship somewhere in the Bahamas on a dare - and then swam away from the life preserver they threw down for him - it's looking like a shark got him. They've got some aggressive sharks in that area (bull shark/tiger shark):

That qualifies for a 2023 Darwin Award.

Darwin Awards

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 31, 2023, 09:48 PM^this

As usual, Marie understands me

I wonder if you guys ever get the kind of sun in northern Europe as in the Mediterranean, where it's so intense, esp when reflected through the dark of the water, that all you can think of is death. Like in that Camus book... "Le soleil tombait presque d'aplomb sur le sable et son éclat sur la mer était insoutenable"

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

^A sun so intense all I can think of is death 🤔

I can't relate to that, but I think the sea (and maybe nature in general) has a way of whisking away cares, like a tiny, temporary ego death. You've left the environment where you have to worry about bills and work and clothes for the kids. You hear the sound of the sea and the boat, feel the sun, the wind and perhaps the spray. It's so much more a world for the senses than the usual daily human interests.

I think of death in relation to the sea, but always as a comforting thing. My latest single was about drowning at sea and then getting to spend an afterlife in this magical place at the bottom of the ocean among sea creatures 😄

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Marie Monday on May 31, 2023, 09:48 PMThis summer a single wave knocked over and scrambled me like a washing machine and I was limping for a day after, 10/10 top experience

:laughing:

Only God knows.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jun 01, 2023, 05:07 PMMy latest single was about drowning at sea and then getting to spend an afterlife in this magical place at the bottom of the ocean among sea creatures 😄