Most southerly place would be the Bahamas. I went on a family cruise there in August 2000. The cruise was fun, I sang "All Star" by Smash Mouth (before Shrek ruined that song for everyone) at karaoke and was pretty well received, and in the Bahamas themselves I bought a wooden charm from a young kid around my age that I still have to this day.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: robhr on Jun 20, 2023, 11:33 PMNeat, my mother and all her siblings are from Belize. They's Mennonites from the Orange Walk area. Blue Creek to be specific.

It was pleasant, I enjoyed the Mayan ruins.

The second time we went was for the 2000 new years and we went to a church get together where they were all talking about how it's the end of the world now and revelations was about to begin. Looks like it didn't pan out.

Oh shit we could be related lad.

I cannot Belize it!

I never visited and my nan died the other year. My uncle just moved back there though. Maybe one day I will visit the motherland 8)

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Jun 20, 2023, 11:42 PMOh shit we could be related lad.

I cannot Belize it!

I never visited and my nan died the other year. My uncle just moved back there though. Maybe one day I will visit the motherland 8)

Oh hey crazy. That's pretty awesome.

Yeah, that's a real coincidence! Clearly, you are both related to each other!

This is what I remember about Belize:-
- Lots of nature: jungle, beach and aquatic life in the extraordinary water of the Caribbean.
- The people of Belize have two types of English: one that they use to speak to visitors, and another incomprehensible version that they use to speak among themselves
- There is so much hardwood in the country that where we expect to find chipboard or some cheap timber, they use solid mahogany, like for kitchen cabinets etc.
- Probably the season, place or time of day, but in Belize I encountered the most, and the most aggressive, mosquitos I have ever been bitten by: clouds of them settled on my legs, even though I was cycling at a fair pace that would have dislodged Mexican mosquitos. 

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 21, 2023, 02:15 AMYeah, that's a real coincidence! Clearly, you are both related to each other!

- Lots of nature: jungle, beach and aquatic life in the extraordinary water of the Caribbean.
- The people of Belize have two types of English: one that they use to speak to visitors, and another incomprehensible version that they use to speak among themselves
- There is so much hardwood in the country that where we expect to find chipboard or some cheap timber, they use solid mahogany, like for kitchen cabinets etc.
- Probably the season, place or time of day, but in Belize I encountered the most, and the most aggressive, mosquitos I have ever been bitten by: clouds of them settled on my legs, even though I was cycling at a fair pace that would have dislodged Mexican mosquitos. 

I didn't have such a hard time with the mosquitoes but I'm from Winnipeg so I'm used to the worst.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 21, 2023, 02:15 AMYeah, that's a real coincidence! Clearly, you are both related to each other!

What is the incomprehensible version like? My nan just had a Caribbean accent, I'd say there were some Spanish words that came in a bit but not much. They do all speak Spanish but English is their first language. They are more Hispanic than Caribbean I'd say. Is the local English more like a version of Patois?

Only God knows.

Yes, jimmy jazz, on this clip they call it pidgin English, which I guess is a type of creole or patois:

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 22, 2023, 04:49 AMYes, jimmy jazz, on this clip they call it pidgin English, which I guess is a type of creole or patois:

That's pretty similar to Jamaican Patois. My wife says "cho" a lot. lol

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Nice thanks. Yes the accent sounds like my nan RIP. Not the words or phrases though.

Only God knows.

I Just stumbled across this video while I was on YouTube. I've driven through parts of Oregon, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado and there's definitely some very remote and amazing scenery to be experienced in those places.

Top 15 Emptiest Parts of the U.S. 

The most northern place I have been is the Isle of Skye in Scotland and the most southern would be Cancun in Mexico.

I've mostly been on loads of little trips to Europe. My favourite thing is to go on a cheap city break.

Hey! I've been to both of those places, FETCHER! I once spent a magical week on the Isle of Skye, and did some modest exploration of the Cuillins. I still remember, on the Scottish mainland, waiting to board the Isle of Skye ferry and humming Mull Of Kintyre to myself!

As for Cancun, it's not so far from where I live now, though I only visit the place when I have to. It has a great beach, of course, but for me, it's too much of a big, car-centric city. I wonder if you were in the town itself or the hotel zone? In the last ten years or so, the town especially has been getting a reputation as not being a safe place; the lure of so many tourist dollars have brought in a lot of criminals, cartels, etc.