Sep 06, 2023, 07:55 PM Last Edit: Sep 27, 2023, 02:53 PM by Guybrush
Aloha, Guest, and welcome to our forums.

I assume you already know how a forum works or are able to figure it out. This thread is just to help shed a light on why we exist and some of the less obvious functionality and quirks of our site.

Things to do first

If you're a new user, do these things in whatever order:

About SCD

Something Completely Different was set up as an alternative to the forum on musicbanter.com and most of our members come from there. The project itself was initially a collab between members @Guybrush and @Trollheart .

The forum runs on Simple Machines Forum software (see: https://www.simplemachines.org/)

Themes / skins

The default skin / theme comes in a light and a dark version. Side by side, they look like this:

Most members prefer the Dark Theme. You can change between them by clicking your avatar pic top right on this page to bring up your personal menu and it should be the first item you see.

More themes may be available, but they are not maintained like the default is and I cannot guarantee full compatibility.

Membergroups & secret forums

If you're new, there may be one or more forums that are secret to you. Access to hidden forums and special icons underneath avatars is controlled by membergroups and post count thresholds.

As of writing this, there is one secret forum that is available to the members of the Keeper of Secrets membergroup.

Some groups can be joined freely. Some you can apply for a membership. Some are invite only.

You can join membergroups (and possibly get access to secret forum(s)) by clicking your tiny avatar up top and then clicking My Groups in the menu. This will bring you to a page with relevant options.

Icons, smileys & emojis

Regular forum smileys are available and there should be tooltips on top in the post editor where you write posts.

ALSO the forum supports most standard modern emojis of the sort you can find on your phone.

Some examples: 🍑🔥💪🎃😍

Just try it!

Tagging other users

If you tag another user, they will be notified about your mention, so this is a good way to draw someone's attention.

To tag someone, start by writing @ and then immediately follow it up with their username. An auto complete box suggestion should come up before you're done. Click it!

Their username should now appear something like this in the published post: @Guybrush

Tagging may not work when quick editing a post. If that's a problem, just modify the post rather than quick edit.

BBCodes of note

There is a list of BBCodes in this thread that you can use to style your posts. It has links to explanations on what the codes do.

A couple of BBCodes are installed as mods and they're explained here:

• [Spoiler] - Use this to hide things behind a spoiler tag. Usage: [Spoiler=What's getting spoiled]Spoiler info[/spoiler]
  • [You] - Putting this in a post will replace the BBCode with the username of the person reading the post

Other useful tips & resources

I will probably add to this thread in the future. Meanwhile, feel free to ask here if you have any questions 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee