Quote from: SGR on Apr 17, 2024, 06:09 PMSo what you're saying is that you discount the opinions of anyone who does this?

I mean, that sounds like what you're saying.

So what I do is just growl on the inside like a vicious dog for a few seconds.

I mean it's better than hitting something.

Only God knows.

This is, as I've said before many times, one of my bugbears too. And everyone does it. "So" is supposed to be qualified before you use it, ie, "I went down to the shops and they were closed so I came home." But today you'd get people saying "So I went down to the shops and they were closed." Gaaahh! It seems to be common practice now to begin ANY sentence with it, and to be honest (not really) I could see books being rewritten to take advantage (or disadvantage) of that fact.

"So it was the best of times, it was the worst of times."

"So call me Ishamel."

"So I am born, I grow up."

and even

"So in the beginning..."

Growwwwlll!

Not so sure about "I mean". I've heard it said, and true, again, it needs to be qualified, really. With correct usage being this: "It's  poor directing, that's what I mean when I say it's a crap movie" and incorrect being "I mean it's a crap movie because the directing is so bad."

Let's for a moment, though, focus on the annoying things we say ourselves.
I know I use the phrase "in fairness" too much, and also "basically", as well as, like a lot of people, um, "like". I repeat phrases (though I try not to) and I'm also too fond of using "The thing you have to realise is..."

None of us are perfect.
Me excluded of course.
:shycouch:

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 17, 2024, 06:03 PMStarting sentences with 'so' and 'I mean'.

Also using those words in sentences when they're unnecessary in the first place.

And the same goes for "like."

Big T is talking the truth.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 17, 2024, 09:25 PMAlso using those words in sentences when they're unnecessary in the first place.

I was listening to a podcast with Megan Phelps-Roper on it recently. She's a really intelligent person obviously. Every third or fourth word was 'like'. It started to do my head in which is a shame because she has such an interesting story but I had to turn it off.

Only God knows.

In Norway, people don't express clear, concise feelings about anything because the whole nation is relatively stoic and we still feel the lingering influence from the ironic 90s when nooone took anything seriously. One of the consequences is we constantly use words to lessen the size of our emotions. The media does it too, so you read about people who got fucked over and they're a little irritated. Or they think something is a little cozy or a little embarassing. The word "little" in particular is prefixed to so much, though there's also the "a bit", adding a "maybe" and other offenders.

It's okay to have feelings.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 17, 2024, 09:25 PMAlso using those words in sentences when they're unnecessary in the first place.

Geez you guys are so picky. The "so", "I mean" and "like" gets used as mental pauses because people are either nervous or they talk too much and forget certain points so they use those meaningless words to fill space while their thoughts catch up with their mouth and how fast they are talking.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 18, 2024, 10:55 AMGeez you guys are so picky. The "so", "I mean" and "like" gets used as mental pauses because people are either nervous or they talk too much and forget certain points so they use those meaningless words to fill space while their thoughts catch up with their mouth and how fast they are talking.

And what about when typing?

Also yes we are picky like I mean that's the point of the thread.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 18, 2024, 02:14 PMAnd what about when typing?

Also yes we are picky like I mean that's the point of the thread.

True so that is the point of the thread and like when it comes to typing like people just type the way they like speak sometimes. I guess.

I was this cool the whole time.

Yeah, I use those in my posts to give the impression that I'm actually speaking with the inflections and little idiosyncrasies I usually use in my speech. I think it gives a more casual vibe.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 18, 2024, 08:18 AMIn Norway, people don't express clear, concise feelings about anything because the whole nation is relatively stoic and we still feel the lingering influence from the ironic 90s when nooone took anything seriously. One of the consequences is we constantly use words to lessen the size of our emotions. The media does it too, so you read about people who got fucked over and they're a little irritated. Or they think something is a little cozy or a little embarassing. The word "little" in particular is prefixed to so much, though there's also the "a bit", adding a "maybe" and other offenders.

It's okay to have feelings.

^ If I'm understanding you right, I actually like this way of speaking. I use lots of cautious, qualifying words myself and enjoy using understatement. To me it's better than the opposite: using big, clanky language to overdramatize things. But yeah, all things in their place: when circumstances actually are dramatic, it's time to use more direct language.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 18, 2024, 10:55 AMGeez you guys are so picky. The "so", "I mean" and "like" gets used as mental pauses because people are either nervous or they talk too much and forget certain points so they use those meaningless words to fill space while their thoughts catch up with their mouth and how fast they are talking.

^ Absolutely DJ ! All those words can be used with their proper meanings, but they are also just as you describe, kind of place-holders or "discourse markers" that only mean "Get ready: I'm going to say something", rather like clearing your throat. Other words in this category include "Well", "OK" and "Right", and I challenge anyone to say that they have never used these words either before or during the substance of what they're talking about.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 18, 2024, 02:14 PMAlso yes we are picky like I mean that's the point of the thread.

^ :laughing: Yep, that's what we're here for jimmy jazz !

Many Spanish speakers also use words without much meaning to kind of get themselves going. Most common are Bueno and Pues,  (Well and Then respectively). I have also heard the more elaborate "Oye, ven aca": it sounds odd when said to the person standing right in front of you because it means "Listen. Come here."

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

@Lisnaholic your approval of tire's description of Norwegian speech makes sense, given that you're an Englishman ;)

One word I absolutely loathe is 'hub'. Makes me cringe every time. I suppose it's part of the category of hideous corporate talk, which bothers me a lot more than the overuse of 'like' or 'so...' etc. (I plead guilty to using 'like' and 'I mean' too much)

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 18, 2024, 06:15 PM@Lisnaholic your approval of tire's description of Norwegian speech makes sense, given that you're an Englishman ;)

Thank you Marie, I think you're right. And you as well: in your posts you have a style that favours precision over drama I think. Is that how it is for the real life Riot Grrrl ?

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 18, 2024, 06:19 PMOne word I absolutely loathe is 'hub'. Makes me cringe every time. I suppose it's part of the category of hideous corporate talk, which bothers me a lot more than the overuse of 'like' or 'so...' etc. (I plead guilty to using 'like' and 'I mean' too much)

Hub? I definitely hear it used here and there, but not so much that it would get on my nerves. A piece of corporate lingo that bugs me though is people using "ask" as a noun, as in "what's the ask from the client on this?"

This is what you want. This is what you get.