Jan 14, 2023, 07:08 PM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 11:59 PM by Guybrush
Aloha, Guest.

Smiley availability is a work in progress and will of course change. This thread is for you to give me some feedback on what smileys you want or if the graphics should be changed for any of them.

Phone / tablet etc smileys are compatible!

If you're posting from your phone or similar, feel free to insert emojis like normal.

Additionally, as of today, 29th of january 2023, the following smileys are available:       

GraphicCode
:0stars::0stars:
:0.5stars::0.5stars:
:1stars::1stars:
:1.5stars::1.5stars:
:2stars::2stars:
:2.5stars::2.5stars:
:3stars::3stars:
:3.5stars::3.5stars:
:4stars::4stars:
:4.5stars::4.5stars:
:5stars::5stars:
O0O0
O:-)O:-)
>:(>:(
^-^^-^
:band::band:
:banghead::banghead:
:beer::beer:
:checkmark::checkmark:
:D:D
:clap::clap:
:coldsweat::coldsweat:
:devil::devil:
:embarassed::embarassed:
8)8)
:'(:'(
:-[:-[
>:D>:D
:finger::finger:
:guitar::guitar:
;D;D
??????
:-*:-*
:)):))
:laughing::laughing:
:-X:-X
:love::love:
:palmface::palmface:
:pimp::pimp:
:puke::puke:
C:-)C:-)
:pssst::pssst:
:rage::rage:
::)::)
:(:(
:o:o
:shycouch::shycouch:
:):)
:banana::banana:
:thumb::thumb:
:poop::poop:
:P:P
:-\:-\
;);)
:yikes::yikes:
:xmark::xmark:

Which ones are you missing?

Happiness is a warm manatee

#1 Jan 14, 2023, 07:17 PM Last Edit: Jan 14, 2023, 07:31 PM by Guybrush
Looking at activity thus far, I can see we will need a proper palmface emoji.

edit:

Done! :palmface:

Maybe a bit big and ugly? But now it's there at least.

I like the banana emoji.

Actually they're all okay, but maybe add the yikes emoji and maybe a few that don't cover certain reactions. But overall, pretty good selection.

The Word has spoken :D

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 14, 2023, 07:40 PMI like the banana emoji.

Actually they're all okay, but maybe add the yikes emoji and maybe a few that don't cover certain reactions. But overall, pretty good selection.

Granted :yikes:

We'll also have to curate the smiley tooltip bar or whatchacallit, but I won't worry too much about it at the moment.

#4 Jan 14, 2023, 07:49 PM Last Edit: Jan 14, 2023, 07:57 PM by Guybrush
There, made a More-button on the tooltip that shows some of the options that might otherwise cause clutter :)

:banana:

I don't get the dancing banana: is that an American thing? Our bananas do not dance.

I would like to see the embarrassment one, the sticking-out tongue one, the angry one (for those rare times) and if possible a devil one (for when you make those devilishly witty comments) and maybe a guitar on its own, if that's possible (the old Bill and Ted thing, you know). That's all I can think of at the moment.

They have a dancing banana? Cool, my Croatian friend would like that. :laughing:

I think we need a vomiting emoji.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jan 24, 2023, 05:45 PMI think we need a vomiting emoji.

Agreed. I don't think they have one at MB

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Jan 24, 2023, 06:03 PMAgreed. I don't think they have one at MB
One of MB's biggest flaws, along with that damn Phish banner.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

That's a pretty tall order. Or orders. You have to give me a couple of days on that.

So one thing that's happening is we're kinda using smileys from different sets - from the stock smileys to this weird archive on archive.org that included the MB ones to some open source junk.

My rough plan is once we're satisfied with the emojis we have, that we try to find some set that contains as many of these expressions as possible so it's not so mishy-mashy. Until then, bear with me (now where's the bear emoji?).

#11 Jan 29, 2023, 11:18 AM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 11:10 PM by Guybrush
About Mobile / Tablet Smiley Support

As far as I can tell, smileys injected from your phone or elsewhere seem to be compatible with this forum, so use that if you can't find what you're after and also feel free to test this functionality here.

🧟🐏🥩 etc

#12 Jan 31, 2023, 11:50 PM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 11:58 PM by Guybrush
So I've added some of your requests. Hm.

It's a little more difficult than I thought, which is why it's taken me some time. The standard size of a smiley here is 15 x 15 pixels, which is TINY. The forum seems to blow them up a little when showing them on the page.

My attempts have basically been to shrink down open source emojis, but the results are pretty awful when they get down to 15 x 15. They're not made for that. SO I've had to resort to the more primitive pixel-art style of old to find something that works. I'm sorry!! If you do find a nice one to replace one of the ugly ones, just let me know here and I'll sort it out.

Some new ones are:

Guitar: :guitar:

Rage: :rage:

Poop: :poop:

Puke: :puke: Yeah, well. That's what I got.

Devil: :devil: but goddammit, we already had >:D

I also changed palmface to this: :palmface:

I've yet to find a good embarassed one, but remember you can use your phone smileys or paste them in from sites like https://emojipedia.org/

edit:

Well, it's something. Embarassed: :embarassed: