Just thought I'd make a thread for instrumental music. Any genre. What do you like to listen to when you're in an instrumental mood?

I'd wager a good 70% of the music I listen to regularly is instrumental, usually new age, space music, Berlin School, ambient, and otherwise electronic stuff.

I also like a lot of swing and big band instrumentals, 50s and 60s lounge music, and occasionally chillout instrumental hip hop and post/math rock stuff.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Like Mrs. Waffles, a lot of what I listen to is instrumental. The biggest chunk of that is probably jazz (mostly hard bop, post bop, free jazz, and jazz funk), but a lot is also electronic (especially IDM, trip hop, downtempo, and vintage synth stuff) and metal (doom and drone).

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Over the past several years, I find myself listening to a lot more instrumental music than I used to. Surf-rock, jazz, ambient, film scores, psych-rock, soul, funk, lounge, exotica, and various styles of Latin music. Probably 50 to 60 percent of the music I listen to these days is instrumental.

Here's one I stumbled across this morning while I was online. An instrumental version of a song I've been very familiar with since it was first released...

QuoteMy original idea for the opening tracks for 'Houses of the Holy' was that a short overture would be a rousing instrumental introduction with layered electric guitars that would segue in to 'The Seasons', later to be titled 'The Rain Song'. Again there would be a contrasting acoustic guitar instrumental movement with melotron that could lead to the first vocal of the album and the first verse of the song. 

'The Seasons' was a memo to myself as a reminder of the sequence of the song and various ideas I'd had for it in its embryonic stage. I'd worked on it over one evening at home. During the routining of the overture now titled 'The Plumpton and Worcester Races', the half time section was born and the overture shaped in to the song, 'The Song Remains The Same'.  These rehearsals were done in Puddle Town on the River Piddle in Dorset, UK.

The first set of recordings were done at Olympic Studios with George Chkiantz.

We then came to record at Stargroves, Sir Mick Jagger's country home, and, like Headley Grange, with the Rolling Stones recording truck.

'The Song Remains The Same' was played on a Fender 12 string, the same one used on Becks Bolero, with my trusty Les Paul number 1 on overdubs in a standard turning.  The 'Rain Song' was an unorthodox tuning on acoustic and electric guitars.  On live shows, it became a work-out feature for the double neck.

- Jimmy Page

I'd say 70% for me too... Ambient, post-rock, IDM, neoclassical, minimal techno, turntablism, downtempo, drum'n'bass, psytrance/goa trance, psychill, progressive trance.

mostly folk.

for example:

1) Blazin' Fiddles are an instrumental band from scotland.
Dancing on the Moon
by Blazin' Fiddles

from the album "the old style"

2) Charlie Grey and Joseph Peach from scotland, discovered them a few years ago from bandcamp.
The Shores of Loch Gowna: Moll Ha'Penny / The Shores of Loch Gowna / Merrily Kiss the Quaker's Wife
by Charlie Grey and Joseph Peach

3) Jennifer & Hazel Wrigley a duo from scotland
Utiseta: Roseness / Churchill Barriers / Deerness Reel
by Jennifer & Hazel Wrigley

from the album "skyran"

One of my favorite guitarists covering "MalagueƱa" by Ernesto Lecuona...

Roy Clark - Malaguena

My favorite San Diego based heavy-psych band, kicking up a storm at Desert Daze in 2018...

Earthless - Volt Rush

Generally, I like early sixties surf instrumentals in particular. My favorites have to be these two though. Pretty well known.

The Word has spoken :D

I once saw 'Booker T. & the MG's' play with Neil Young as his backing band and they played "Green Onions" for the encore.

#10 Nov 15, 2023, 05:01 PM Last Edit: Nov 16, 2023, 02:20 AM by TheBig3

It could be anything at any given time, really - but most recently, tracks from Alice Coltrane's Reflections On Creation and Space, Isaac Hayes's Instrumentals, Sun Ra's Sleeping Beauty, The Caretaker's An Empty Bliss Beyond This World and Roland Kirk's Rip, Rig & Panic have been in rotation.

I just let the jukebox pick but I have a lot of instrumental stuff in any genre you can think of.  Sometimes I don't even notice there aren't any lyrics.

Jealous of your jukebox @larsvsnapster! ;)

One of my favorite instrumentals from Bowie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WAXpMTE_sY