League winners: Arsenal!
Champions League places: City, United, Liverpool
Relegation: Luton, Wolves, Burnley

You can expect City to have hangover this season imo. First of all, Pep announced that he's off after next season, which will have its psychological effect. Gundogan, the captain, leader and midfield metronome, has left. De Bruyne is increasingly struggling with injuries. But then their substitute striker is Alvarez... Dunno.   

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Aug 10, 2023, 03:01 PMLeague winners: Arsenal!
Champions League places: City, United, Liverpool
Relegation: Luton, Wolves, Burnley

You can expect City to have hangover this season imo. First of all, Pep announced that he's off after next season, which will have its psychological effect. Gundogan, the captain, leader and midfield metronome, has left. De Bruyne is increasingly struggling with injuries. But then their substitute striker is Alvarez... Dunno.   

Did he???

Also 5 CL places this season, stick us on there mate 😏

Forgot Luton tbf. Could go either way with them. Either finish bottom and relegated by March or top half and surprise everyone. Probably the former.

Only God knows.

Yep he did https://www.theguardian.com/football/2023/jun/12/pep-guardiola-plans-leave-manchester-city-two-years-end-of-contract It dropped just as they were closing in on the treble so it flew under the radar but obviously super consequential

Right, I forgot about the fifth spot. Yeah I think Villa look a good bet, more so than Tottenham. Wonder who else is in the conversation. Brighton?
I'll go with Villa.

I'm curious what makes you think Liverpool will be back to their best. I guess they looked strong toward the end of the season, many promising youngsters... Still, looks like a work in progress to me.

Klopp.

They should get Lavia. Their midfield is wafer thin so they need a bit of luck but they've done it before, and they can always strengthen in January.

Going forward they're as good as anything in the league and at the back they're fine.

But I basically just really trust Klopp, know that Liverpool can do it and also a bit of hope. Plus 115 FC might start to get complacent. They have to get off to a very good start though.

Only God knows.

He should probably bin Thiago Alcantara. He is a genius and one of the best players to watch maybe ever but he's never fit. Every few months he waltzes into the team, has a few brilliant games where absolutely everything goes through him and then he gets injured and they have to adapt to playing without him.

Quote from: jadis on Aug 10, 2023, 09:40 PMHe should probably bin Thiago Alcantara. He is a genius and one of the best players to watch maybe ever but he's never fit. Every few months he waltzes into the team, has a few brilliant games where absolutely everything goes through him and then he gets injured and they have to adapt to playing without him.

Agreed but even with him and assuming they get someone else in, that still only leaves them with 6 midfielders. Looks like they're going to go all out for Caicedo.

The transfer window is really hotting up now. I enjoy the window almost as much as the football tbf. I hope Villa have one more ball tingling signing before it closes.

FOOTBALL!

Only God knows.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Aug 11, 2023, 01:13 AMyeah I saw that goal on the compilation video that Jimmy posted earlier.

I just thought the boy was really cute with his commentary and how excited he was!

Quote from: jadis on Aug 11, 2023, 01:47 PM"When Messi has the ball one on one..."

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CvXT6dotbH-/?igshid=MTc4MmM1YmI2Ng==

I like that he doesn't showboat. His balance and change of direction is mastered to such a level that he makes it look like he's just running past people because he just does a quick shimmy or turns the other way. It is ultimate efficacy. He does not waste a movement or a slight bit of energy.

Not to take it 'there' but you will see plenty of players who do step overs and needless flicks purely to look flashier and yet it often does very little in terms of beating their man. Messi doesn't do that.

Only God knows.

I'm guessing you're not a fan of Neymar?

I used to like him a lot but I think he shot himself in the foot by going to PSG.

My favorite Neymar is still the third violin in the best attacking trio the world has ever seen

Nope, really don't like him.

Loved Ronaldinho though.

Only God knows.

Yeah Ronaldinho, with Messi, is at the top of the "if you don't like him you don't like football" list. Neymar is not on that list...

Quote from: jadis on Aug 11, 2023, 08:41 PMYeah Ronaldinho, with Messi, is at the top of the "if you don't like him you don't like football" list. Neymar is not on that list...

Agreed.

You watching this BTW? Burnley definitely should have had a penalty.

Only God knows.