Hey guys :)

I've been into horror since childhood - in litterature, but especially in movies. Now it seems I may have exhausted the stores of great horror movies - at least as far as I know - so I turn to you for help.

What do you like in the horror genre? What would you recommend?

Some things I like: Evil Dead (1982), Possession (1981), The Wicker Man (1973), The Shining (1980), Braindead (1992), Hereditary (2018), The Thing (1982), The Innocents (1961), Hellraiser (1987).

I don't much care for cheap run of the mill horror and there's a lot of stuff I don't bother with, but if a movie made a big splash, chances are I've seen it.

Currently I'm looking forward to the new Evil Dead and also Ari Aster's (Hereditary, Midsommar) next movie - although I'm not sure it'll actually be considered horror.

Whatcha got? 💀

Happiness is a warm manatee

Hoo boy, too many to count - let me go off the top of my head:

Halloween (1978) - Yeah, it's the slasher movie, and for good reason. Freddie and Jason are lame in comparison.

Cannibal Holocaust (1980) - The movie that basically started the found footage genre - the director even ended up in court because the special effects looked so real that the public thought the actors in the movie actually died (probably didn't help that the director paid the actors/actress to hole up for a year after the movie's release to sell that fiction). A great movie, but a bit over the top for some - the fact that they killed real animals and filmed it is um....well a bit over the top.

Martyrs (2008) - A revenge quest against child abusers - been years since I've seen it, but all I remember is that it left a serious impression

The Poughkeepsie Tapes (2007) - A faux-documentary about a serial killer - scary and unsettling, if only because people like the subject in the movie actually exist.

Horror in the High Desert (2021) - a bit schlocky, but another faux-documentary about a hiker who went missing in the mountains - detectives eventually find his backpack that contains his video camcorder - and what they find shocks them. Yeah, it's not a masterpiece or anything, but I watched it with my wife with the presumption that it was actually a true story (I realized at some point it was a mock documentary, but I didn't say anything) - and the shock and horror on my wife's face by the end was priceless - "That wasn't real right?! That didn't really happen, right?!?"  :laughing:

There's plenty more, but that's just off the top of my head - some of the ones I love you've already mentioned.

I'm gonna keep an eye on this thread, I'm not very well versed in horror. I need good stuff most of the horror I've seen is just a group of idiots encounter a series of startling images and noises.

Rob, how aboot a Canadian classic? I really love Cronenberg's Brood (1979) and Videodrome (1983). Both are wicked smart and have lots of great ideas and atmosphere. The former is a bit closer to the more traditional language of horror, I think, it's centered on the family unit and how baggage from the past can act on the present in ways that are unpleasant. Videodrome is about a sleazy producer who becomes fascinated with a weird transmission and also gets to meet Debbie Harry. And it rules. I rewatch it a couple of times a year cause it's like a foundational film and I fucking love it. If you fidn a girl who would rewatch videodrome with you, you found the one.   

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I'm more into comedy horror and Halloween-core movies than pure horror. My youth was spent watching a lot of classics in those genres. There will be a few straight horror films mixed in here but lighter takes on it are more my vibe.

Beetlejuice (1988), Hocus Pocus (1993), The Addams Family (1991), The People Under the Stairs (1991), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Halloween (1978), Casper (1995), Dracula (1958), Alien (1979) [it's like sci-fi horror, right?], The Blob (1988), Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [it's like fantasy horror, right?], Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)

Just off the top of my head. I'm not at all well-versed in post-90s horror movies, I'm very squeamish when it comes to really loud jumpscare noises so I'm always a bit wary of watching them.

Edit: Thank you Jadis for bringing up Videodrome, that's on there for me too.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Thanks for your suggestions, guys! ❤️

I've seen the movies mentioned so far except The Poughkeepsie Tapes and Horror in the High Desert. I'll check those out :)

By the way, about Halloween.. I tried to watch the second one recently and fell asleep 😅 seemed snoozier than the first (?) despite being more in media res.

Quote from: jadis on Apr 01, 2023, 10:21 PMRob, how aboot a Canadian classic? I really love Cronenberg's Brood (1979) and Videodrome (1983). Both are wicked smart and have lots of great ideas and atmosphere. The former is a bit closer to the more traditional language of horror, I think, it's centered on the family unit and how baggage from the past can act on the present in ways that are unpleasant. Videodrome is about a sleazy producer who becomes fascinated with a weird transmission and also gets to meet Debbie Harry. And it rules. I rewatch it a couple of times a year cause it's like a foundational film and I fucking love it. If you fidn a girl who would rewatch videodrome with you, you found the one.   

I'll give 'em a try. I've seen and liked a lot of Cronenberg.

Razorback (1984)
One of my favorite horror movies. A missing journalist, a giant boar, and the Australian outback—what's not to like? Not too many scares, but this movie is a fun kind of creepy, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it has beautiful cinematography.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 01, 2023, 11:29 PMRazorback (1984)
One of my favorite horror movies. A missing journalist, a giant boar, and the Australian outback—what's not to like? Not too many scares, but this movie is a fun kind of creepy, it doesn't take itself too seriously, and it has beautiful cinematography.

Cool! I've never heard of this one :)

#9 Apr 02, 2023, 04:07 AM Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 04:11 AM by Trollheart
Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 01, 2023, 10:23 PMI'm more into comedy horror and Halloween-core movies than pure horror. My youth was spent watching a lot of classics in those genres. There will be a few straight horror films mixed in here but lighter takes on it are more my vibe.

Beetlejuice (1988), Hocus Pocus (1993), The Addams Family (1991), The People Under the Stairs (1991), The Nightmare Before Christmas (1993), Halloween (1978), Casper (1995), Dracula (1958), Alien (1979) [it's like sci-fi horror, right?], The Blob (1988), Pan's Labyrinth (2006) [it's like fantasy horror, right?], Killer Klowns from Outer Space (1988)
Oh come on now! Half of those aren't in any way horror!
Beetlejuice = comedy
Addams Family = comedy
The Nightmare Before Christmas = animated comedy
Casper = Well I don't know what to say here. Casper the friendly ghost? Are you serious?

A child of six could watch any of those and there wouldn't be the slightest bit of pushback from parents.

I'd recommend Let The Right One In, vampire movie set in Sweden, but watch the original, not the bloody US remake, which they handily titled Let Me In, to ensure nobody watched it by mistake. I'm not a horror fan, but I can dig vampire movies. Event Horizon is also decent, science fiction horror or horror science fiction, you decide. You might also want to try Dust Devil for something different.

Speaking of vampire movies, I'd recommend Anne Rice's Interview with the Vampire, Dracula Untold, Forsaken, John Carpenter's Vampire$, From Dusk to Dawn, and maybe 30 Days of Night. Though not really what I'd class as horror, Johnny Depp is great in both Sleepy Hollow and From Hell.

I literally said I'm more into horror comedy and Halloween themed movies. Those are horror comedy and Halloween themed movies. Also I actually was a child when I saw all of them. I'm really not a huge film buff to be honest, I love to watch nostalgic stuff from my youth and stuff that is cheesy and fun and entertaining more than most "serious" cinema.

I don't know why you're acting so incredulous about someone having a different taste in film.

#11 Apr 02, 2023, 08:15 AM Last Edit: Apr 02, 2023, 08:17 AM by SGR
Somehow, as a millennial, I had never seen Nightmare Before Christmas before my college years. After I met my now-wife, then-girlfriend, she showed it to me - and it's become a staple of ours to watch every Halloween. Still, being the instigator I am, I always bring up the argument about whether it's a Halloween movie or a Christmas movie.  I'm not sure I'm convinced one way or the other, but I always argue that it's really a Christmas movie, since my wife is adamant that it's a Halloween movie. :laughing:

Regardless, excellent movie. Regarding Alien, Mrs. Waffles, not sure if you're into gaming or not, but Alien Isolation is an excellent take on the story and setting of the first movie. And oh yeah, it's pretty scary too.

I've probably seen Nightmare Before Christmas what.. 30 times? :laughing: I know all the songs by heart. Beetlejuice as well. Addam's family, of course.

Some of the movies mentioned here, I don't care that much for, like From Hell, John Carpenter's Vampires (although I saw this ages ago when it was relatively new) and From Dusk Till Dawn. I did like Interview and Let the Right One In.

For Vampire movies, I'd recommend Bram Stoker's Dracula. It's a lot of fun, from very hammy (looking at you, Keanu) to gothic horror awesomeness (Gary Oldman in his castle).

Btw, in Alien Isolation, you play Ellen Ripley's daughter Amanda I think it was 🙂 you deal with a xenomorph outbreak on a space station, Sevastopol. It happens between Alien and Aliens (while Ellen is lost in space and in cryosleep).

I'm of the mind that Nightmare can be both a Christmas and Halloween movie. Maybe more Halloween in terms of aesthetics and Christmas in terms of the overall story? Either way, I've also seen it countless times. I was definitely one of those high school kids who was all about the Hot Topic Nightmare merch, haha.

And I know about Alien Isolation, never played it myself but I've seen gameplay footage. From what I've seen it definitely nails the atmosphere of being stalked by a xenomorph.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Apr 02, 2023, 04:52 AMI literally said I'm more into horror comedy and Halloween themed movies. Those are horror comedy and Halloween themed movies. Also I actually was a child when I saw all of them. I'm really not a huge film buff to be honest, I love to watch nostalgic stuff from my youth and stuff that is cheesy and fun and entertaining more than most "serious" cinema.

I don't know why you're acting so incredulous about someone having a different taste in film.

Cos I'm a dick. duh.  :love:

No I get it, but if someone asked for horror movies those are not the ones I'd be recommending. No offence meant, you know that. I love ya really. But I have to say again: Casper? I mean, Casper? Sorry. Sorry. No I can't; CASPER???!!!  :laughing:  :laughing:  :laughing: About as horror as Hello Kitty: The Movie.

Also, why has nobody made Hello Kitty: The Movie:love: