I dunno man, if Stinky, Fatso and Stretch were haunting my house I'd be scared shitless.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Wonder if anyone's seen Censor? I was prepared to be blown away after reading this review cause it links it to two of my all times favorite films, Videodrome and Egoyan's The Adjuster, and cause I love the whole 80s "videos nasties" thing. But don't know if it quite lived up to the five star billing. It's an "intelligent horror film" for sure though 

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

^Sounds interesting, Jadis 🙂 I'll add it to my list of movies to check out.

Maybe intelligent horror is a good descriptor for the sort of movies I like. I prefer it when they're not one dimensional in terms of tone. I like genre mixing (like Possession or Hereditary also works as dramas, at least for part of the movies) and I prefer plots that are not entirely predictable.

To @Mrs. Waffles, I also like a lot of horror adjacent like basically the movies you mentioned 🙂

I don't mind those recommendations.

Happiness is a warm manatee

For intelligent horror, as you say, then again try Dust Devil. Not a single special effect, basically a three-person play against the harshest of backdrops, the Namib Desert, which makes it look almost like you're on another planet, very little music (no cheesy), no cliches and some stunning performances, including the title character who says so little but conveys so much: that's real acting. And a shocker of an ending. I'd say you'd enjoy it.

Trailer
Full movie

Thanks for the suggestion, Trollheart 🙂 I'll add it to the list

The Loved Ones (2009) is a very good lil Australian flick

The Witch (2015) is quality puritancore. ATJ was so cute before they subjected her to this horrible thing called "buccal fat removal". Guess her face is more striking and "memorable" now, which is a good thing for an actress

Polanski's Repulsion is one of the greatest films of all time imo, but it's so great that I hesitate to reduce it to any one genre. 

Repulsion we started on, but my wife thought it looked boring so we didn't make it more than a few minutes in. I'll restart that one day.

The Witch was okay, though I much preferred The Lighthouse. I'm not sure if it's considered a horror, but at least it's dark in tone.

The Loved Ones I've never heard of :) will check that one out.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 03, 2023, 02:52 PMRepulsion we started on, but my wife thought it looked boring so we didn't make it more than a few minutes in. I'll restart that one day.

The Witch was okay, though I much preferred The Lighthouse. I'm not sure if it's considered a horror, but at least it's dark in tone.

The Loved Ones I've never heard of :) will check that one out.

Dunno if I'd have the patience for The Witch had I not been fascinated with Anglo Puritanism. As such, I thought it was really good. Need to watch The Lighthouse

Didn't get Hereditary at all. I watched it in a NYC cinema full of black teens who screamed each time there was anything remotely scary on the screen and it was so much more fun to follow than the actual movie.

Quote from: jadis on Apr 03, 2023, 03:39 PMDunno if I'd have the patience for The Witch had I not been fascinated with Anglo Puritanism. As such, I thought it was really good. Need to watch The Lighthouse

Didn't get Hereditary at all. I watched it in a NYC cinema full of black teens who screamed each time there was anything remotely scary on the screen and it was so much more fun to follow than the actual movie.

I loved Hereditary. It's such a bleak family drama at first and I like a proper feelbad-movie. Then, towards the end, it goes properly bonkers which cleans the palate and sends me off with a smile. I became an instant Ari Aster fan :)

When the little sister is having the allergic reaction and puts her head out the car window - yikes...

When the brother just sits in the car afterwards in silence - powerful moment.

Quote from: SGR on Apr 03, 2023, 04:28 PMWhen the little sister is having the allergic reaction and puts her head out the car window - yikes...

i've had a couple posts now that didn't go through

when they went back on showed her decapitated head with ants all over it

that was fab five freddy

and colin stetson on the ost - pow 5 stars

Quote from: SGR on Apr 03, 2023, 04:28 PMWhen the little sister is having the allergic reaction and puts her head out the car window - yikes...

When he's standing in the hall at night listening to his mother wailing on the floor.

It's such a magical movie moment 😁