When quoting, should nested quotes be removed?

Yes, by default I only want to quote one person
6 (60%)
No, by default I like to quote several people
4 (40%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Hey, Guest. I was hoping to get your opinion on something.

There can be a lot of quoting going around on a forum. If you quote someone who already quoted someone else, do you want to have both someone and someone else's quotes being added to your post? Or should it just be Someone's quote?

Post with nested quoting:

Quote from: Someone
Quote from: Someone elseI wrote something
And I quoted that Someone else wrote and so if you quote me, you'll also have their quote added to your post

Post without nested quoting:

Quote from: SomeoneAnd I quoted that Someone else wrote and so if you quote me, you'll also have their quote added to your post

If you want quotes to a post, that's easy. Just place the marker where you want the quote to be, then find the post you want to quote from and click the quotation marks. So, it is possible to create your own nested quoting.

Similarly, it is easy to remove nested quotes if you don't want it. So how should it be?

Happiness is a warm manatee

No, nested quotes are a great tool especially for longer threads. And it's easy to just remove the nested quote when quoting if it doesn't fit in the context. Definitely keep it.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

Definitely not. You could be quoting different views on one subject, so you need to be able to respond to, say, member A who thinks it's terrible and then member B who thinks it's all right, member C has fallen asleep and you want a ZZZ gif, and member D has made a humourous comment you need to respond to. Have to keep them otherwise it will get more confusing.

The poll is currently in favour of removing default nested quotes behaviour.

In essence, it's about what you do. Do you wanna remove the extra quotes you don't want or do you prefer to add in the extra quotes you do want?

The latter seems a little easier to me. You put the marker in the right place, scroll to find the post you wanna quote and just press the button/icon.

Selecting/marking text to remove seems a bit more tedious, at least on a phone, and I'm already doing it a lot.

I feel Comus may have voted incorrectly. If there are only three votes, and we assume those to be Guybrush, him and I, and Comus wants to keep the nested quotes then he voted for their removal. So I'm not sure that the result should not be 2-1 for keeping rather than 2-1 for getting rid. Comus?

Now it's 2-2. If @Comus did vote wrong, it is possible to remove and redo vote.

I didn't vote, but have now.

In the age of ignorance, being informed is a choice.

I voted for the multi-quote. Too many times you want to respond to more than one person.

The Word has spoken :D

The vote is now back to 50/50.

The nays currently have more active members on the board (Comus is AWOL) and we've been living with nested quotes for a while. Hence, I think it would be good to try out what it's like to NOT have nested quotes.

Feel free to drop your feedback here if you want :)

I do think it would be easier just to use the multi-quote function we use on MB and on other sites. Why would they want to put all the quotes together automatically?

The Word has spoken :D

I would also prefer the type of quoting system that is currently used at MB. Easier than removing extra, unnecessary quotes that are nested in the quote you want.

I'll tell you what I want: an automatic space after a quote.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Multi-quoting might be possible. I'll look into it!

There was a multi quote mod, but we're using the cutting edge version of the forum and the mod hasn't been updated for our version.

We might get it eventually 🙂