Mar 15, 2023, 12:18 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 11:54 PM by Guybrush
Hey film club!

You're encouraged to watch the movie Chairman of the Board from 1998 at your leisure. Though @Mrs. Waffles is the expert on this one, this is how I presented it when I suggested it for watching:

Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 09, 2023, 11:45 PM[...] I would like to suggest Chairman of the Board as our next movie. @Mrs. Waffles gave it a glowing review as her favourite bad movie. Sounds good to me.

Everybody of course loves prop comedian Carrot Top. He stars in this 90s comedy where I'm just going to assume he takes over a company for some reason and probably runs it to the ground. Or more likely, it all turns out fine and there's some wishy washy moral twist at the end? I don't actually know what it's about, but I'm willing to find out. ;D

I already watched it and mentioned it in the latest movie thread. I've split that discussion in here:

My brief review:

It's a man-child comedy of the 90s, a bit like Son in Law (with Pauly Shore) or maybe Wayne's World. This movie feels a lot like a vehicle for the garish, freckled, hyperactive mess that is 90s Carrot Top and the movie caters hard to his prop comedy sctick. He also spends his time shouting, waving his arms and making faces through most of the movie's runtime.

Unlike other man-child actors like Michael Myers, Jim Carrey, Will Ferrel - even the aforementioned Pauly Shore, Carrot Top has negative charisma and is about as funny here as passing a kidney stone. Yuck. He might be worse than Adam Sandler. Gods, what a mess.

The jokes are mostly lame and fall flat. I found more humour in the sex scenes in Nekromantik.

They got Raquel Welch to play in this thing. Wow. She does a pretty good role. The best thing about it, besides laughing at how awful it is, is Courtney Thorne-Smith who convincingly plays an absolute darling. She's also gorgeous. It's 90s weird to see both bosses of the company (one of them being Carrot Top) just going straight into very inappropriate sexual misconduct with her, but that's the 90s. Whatcha gonna do? :laughing: I'm happy Courtney seems to have made it through this movie with her career intact.

Is it a good movie? Hells no. Did I enjoy it? Yes, I did. I wanted to watch a bad movie and it delivered. Would I watch it again? Ew. Ack. No, I don't think so.

If you like man child comedies and don't mind scraping the bottom of the barrel, give this a gander. ;)

edit: btw, thanks for the rec, @Mrs. Waffles :beer: I got that Dana Carvey movie lined up as well.

Happiness is a warm manatee

#1 Mar 15, 2023, 12:27 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 11:55 PM by Guybrush
BTW, I feel a bit bad for Carrot Top as I will say it feels like he gave it his all and probably had a lot riding on this. He comes across as good hearted and genuine in his want to entertain. It just, yech, ick, doesn't quite work out.

Happiness is a warm manatee

#2 Mar 15, 2023, 12:27 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 11:56 PM by Guybrush
I'm so glad you enjoyed it! I have so much love for this movie's terribleness. Carrot Top taking every opportunity to shoehorn in his ridiculous props still slays me to this day. And yeah Raquel Welch is great in the movie. Very random, but great.

And I agree, a lot about the movie feels very genuine and that's one thing I do appreciate about it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#3 Mar 15, 2023, 12:30 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 11:56 PM by Guybrush
is he still buff

#4 Mar 15, 2023, 12:33 AM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2023, 11:56 PM by Guybrush
This is what you want. This is what you get.