I think the trans women in sports issue is complex and sensitive. I'm not sure what I think should be the solution, but I know it should be discussed in a careful and nuanced way, and I have seen none of that here. Especially Hawk's comments are insensitive and short-sighted. It doesn't sit well with me that nobody is calling it out and Synthgirl is the only one apologising here

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 24, 2023, 12:07 PMI think the trans women in sports issue is complex and sensitive. I'm not sure what I think should be the solution, but I know it should be discussed in a careful and nuanced way, and I have seen none of that here. Especially Hawk's comments are insensitive and short-sighted. It doesn't sit well with me that nobody is calling it out and Synthgirl is the only one apologising here

Very well said and I totally agree. This does not make for a friendly, welcoming community. 

This is what you want. This is what you get.

the issue is a no win

you say yes and you're against fair play for women

you say no and you're transphobic

i quess i care more about the integrity of women's sports than i do about this particular right

the uncomfortable truth is you basically have to decide if trans women are women or trans

measuring hormones or whatever doesn't cut it with sports so it forces your hand

it's an unfair litmus test if you want to support trans women and still keep within the parameters of credulity

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 24, 2023, 12:07 PMI think the trans women in sports issue is complex and sensitive. I'm not sure what I think should be the solution, but I know it should be discussed in a careful and nuanced way, and I have seen none of that here. Especially Hawk's comments are insensitive and short-sighted. It doesn't sit well with me that nobody is calling it out and Synthgirl is the only one apologising here

Well I sent her a DM to ask if I should delete the post. I can't really 'call out' something I didn't see the full posts before they were edited/removed.

Only God knows.

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 24, 2023, 02:14 PMthe issue is a no win

you say yes and you're against fair play for women

you say no and you're transphobic

i quess i care more about the integrity of women's sports than i do about this particular right

the uncomfortable truth is you basically have to decide if trans women are women or trans

measuring hormones or whatever doesn't cut it with sports so it forces your hand

it's an unfair litmus test if you want to support trans women and still keep within the parameters of credulity
my point is that precisely because it's uncomfortable and it's not trivial to arrive at a satisfactory solution we should treat the problem carefully. My problem is not with whether your answer to the dilemma is a yes or no, but whether the answer is argued with the proper care and respect

For the record, my deleted post only talked about the safety of trans women in prison, I did not weigh in on the sports issue. I did not feel uncomfortable or disrespected by Toy Revolver posting his views on penis-having trans women in prison. I disagreed with them and then I deleted the post as I ultimately felt like I did not wish to have a debate. Thank you for your understanding and attention to sensitivity and respect.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 24, 2023, 03:18 PMFor the record, my deleted post only talked about the safety of trans women in prison, I did not weigh in on the sports issue. I did not feel uncomfortable or disrespected by Toy Revolver posting his views on penis-having trans women in prison. I disagreed with them and then I deleted the post as I ultimately felt like I did not wish to have a debate. Thank you for your understanding and attention to sensitivity and respect.

it's ok not to dis me despite popular opinion 💕

Don't be childish. I'm not trying to diss you or trying to pick an argument. I'm just explaining, speaking for myself only, why I have an issue with your post, and being petty about it is not an appropriate reaction

Quote from: Marie Monday on Mar 24, 2023, 04:36 PMDon't be childish. I'm not trying to diss you or trying to pick an argument. I'm just explaining, speaking for myself only, why I have an issue with your post, and being petty about it is not an appropriate reaction

yes ma'am

God damn it. I wrote a long-ish post responding to you, Marie, but for some reason it's vanished, like an old oak table. Sorry, that's varnished. Well, it's gone anyway.

Basically, I wanted to apologise if anything I said upset anyone, which I hope it did not.
I also wanted to point out that I think it's wrong for the female athlete to have used the word "man" to describe a trans athlete. Wrong and quite possibly part of an agenda to skew opinion onto her side. And completely disingenuous. Trans do not want to be referred to as men, they've made huge efforts to leave that behind, and it's really borderline hateful to insist on calling them by the term they've struggled to ditch.
I wish I had my original post, but that's the gist I guess.

#25 Mar 25, 2023, 04:05 AM Last Edit: Mar 25, 2023, 04:14 AM by Jwb
Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 24, 2023, 04:47 PMGod damn it. I wrote a long-ish post responding to you, Marie, but for some reason it's vanished, like an old oak table. Sorry, that's varnished. Well, it's gone anyway.

Basically, I wanted to apologise if anything I said upset anyone, which I hope it did not.
I also wanted to point out that I think it's wrong for the female athlete to have used the word "man" to describe a trans athlete. Wrong and quite possibly part of an agenda to skew opinion onto her side. And completely disingenuous. Trans do not want to be referred to as men, they've made huge efforts to leave that behind, and it's really borderline hateful to insist on calling them by the term they've struggled to ditch.
I wish I had my original post, but that's the gist I guess.
i really don't care about the sports thing that much. Call me crazy but we're talking about a field where to be the greatest you have to be on fuckin steroids that make you want to murder your family like chris benoit.

I think the prison thing is questionable but i also think it's definitely true that trans women will be much more at risk in men's prison. I could see a separate wing or something in the woman's prison. I don't really know.

And the bathrooms thing is a completely contrived culture war.  Who is checking ids? Either you pass the looks based test to enter the woman's room or you don't.  It's women at the end of the day who police that shit.

the dismissiveness of women's sports on here is misogynistic af but i guess that's cool with everyone

QuoteAnd the bathrooms thing is a completely contrived culture war.  Who is checking ids? Either you pass the looks based test to enter the woman's room or you don't.  It's women at the end of the day who police that shit.

except at school, which is stupidly compulsory - but forcing children to do things they don't want to is totally cool since oprah hasn't told everyone it isn't yet