Post covers of songs nobody would expect the artist to cover. Like this one. Christopher Cross must be rolling in his grave. What's that you say? Not dead? Oh dear: I do hope I left enough airholes in the... umn, never mind. Just watch the video. Clever little story and some very sexy women too.

"Ride Like the Wind" - Saxon (heavy metal band) cover Christopher Cross (Yacht/Soft rock)

i guess you can call it a crazy cover  :D

The Green Groves of Erin / The Flowers of Red Hill
by Sinta Quartet

Inspired by the brilliant versions of this from the Bothy Band

Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood: No More Mr. Nice Guy (1997)

Pat Boone covering hard rock and heavy metal is about the craziest example I can think of and he didn't just do one cover or two but an entire album's worth of hard rock and heavy metal covers!

#3 Oct 19, 2023, 11:54 PM Last Edit: Oct 20, 2023, 12:26 AM by Saulaac
I couldn't find a thread on "normal covers" so I opted for TH's "Crazy Covers!" which in fact is quite appropriate as both the Ronnie Laws original and the Incognito cover are remarkable in their own way.

I've always loved the Britfunk band Incognito (some will argue as to their actual genre but I've always known them as a British funky outfit from the 90s onwards). Led by Jean-Paul "Bluey" Maunick who was born in Mauritius, the band has a core of half a dozen band members but also regularly bring in session musicians for larger concerts. I reckon that Bluey knows and is known by many music greats in the latin and jazz world, he's one of those producers who is constantly working away behind the scenes, and he also plays the rhythm guitar on all their songs like a funky metronomic god.

Who doesn't remember "Always There" which featured regularly in clubs in the 90s. I almost posted this in the quintessential 90s thread such was its influence.

Incognito have just released a new album with their familiar sounds and riffs. I hope they have a CD version so I can play it loud and proud in the car: https://incognitomusic.bandcamp.com/album/into-you

Ronnie Laws - Always There (1975)

Incognito - Always There ft. Jocelyn Brown (1991)

Pere Ubu recently reinterpreted the Osmonds' "Crazy Horses."  Not only did they legitimise it, they also made it theirs.  No Youtube due to my current boycotting of them until they drop the adblocker thing. 

There's a delightfully batty compilation of oddball cover songs called, When Pigs Fly (Songs You Never Thought You'd Hear). I found the CD in a Media Play store in the 90s. I'll share two fond favorites from the album.

First up, here's the bafflingly unlikely duet of Ani DiFranco & Jackie Chan performing, "Unforgettable."

And here's my other favorite track from the same album - Don Ho doing a Pacific islander cover of Peter Gabriel's "Shock the Monkey."

So weird! :)

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: larsvsnapster on Nov 08, 2023, 02:11 AMPere Ubu recently reinterpreted the Osmonds' "Crazy Horses."  Not only did they legitimise it, they also made it theirs.  No Youtube due to my current boycotting of them until they drop the adblocker thing.

I guess they're fighting adblockers from working on YouTube? That would certainly make sense from a business perspective.

We eliminate the ads through a YouTube premium subscription.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Not the most bizarre one out there but I do remember this quite well. Its as if someone told this guy to take Oasis' Wonderwall and create a song that could be featured on an Austin Powers soundtrack or used as elevator music in a 60's themed apartment.  :laughing:

The Mike Flowers Pops - Wonderwall

Quote from: Guybrush on Nov 11, 2023, 10:33 AMI guess they're fighting adblockers from working on YouTube? That would certainly make sense from a business perspective.

We eliminate the ads through a YouTube premium subscription.

I'm not sure why I should do any different than I've been doing for 18 years.  Dailymotion has been throwing up "no adblockers" for some time and that's why nobody uses it. 

Quote from: larsvsnapster on Nov 11, 2023, 05:07 PMI'm not sure why I should do any different than I've been doing for 18 years.  Dailymotion has been throwing up "no adblockers" for some time and that's why nobody uses it. 

I think something like roughly a billion hours of video is watched on youtube every day, so I don't think they're at risk.

It costs money to keep those servers running. It requires enough electricity to power a sizeable country for one thing.

Every user watching something demands processing power. They might not mind so much if a few leave because they don't wanna pay to get rid of ads.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Nov 11, 2023, 06:42 PMI think something like roughly a billion hours of video is watched on youtube every day, so I don't think they're at risk.

It costs money to keep those servers running. It requires enough electricity to power a sizeable country for one thing.

Every user watching something demands processing power. They might not mind so much if a few leave because they don't wanna pay to get rid of ads.

There's this thing that you have to have in retail:  loss.  Now while I can understand wanting to minimise that, there are always going to be crafty people who will get around it, especially on the internet.  You tell people to do things one way on the internet, they're going to do the opposite out of sheer spite.  I look on this as an online equivalent to that.  My boycott is centered around the idea that if that's the deal, I'll just be the ones that leave and someone will replace me as the bane of their existence, as I don't have enough patience to stare at a box of light passively for longer than about 10 minutes (I don't watch TV or movies straight through because of this -- I watch them a scene at a time, like reading a book).  I stayed off of Youtube for an entire week and the ability to watch (without the adblocker blurb intrusion) came back.  Either the backlash was that strong or zero changed in that loss measurement.  For me, the cost of the internet is the internet provider and they've already got the money.  Since that's been the only price of admission, and they can fool enough people into paying a subscription, again, why should I change?

love the Artist so would say I am biased....

Bob Dylan a Legend but this is a beaut version, full of such passion