Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

The comments on the O&A clips are hilarious too. Their fans hate those guys, despise them with a passion

Quote from: jadis on Apr 08, 2023, 05:43 PMI love Uncle Paul. Norton rules 

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL37TtCd1W88dQUt2FZBl0tAXW5gcDA_CM
Yeah uncle paul is norton's best character... he has a million characters lol. Here's one of my favorite Uncle Paul bits:

#19 Apr 16, 2023, 11:12 AM Last Edit: Apr 19, 2023, 11:24 PM by jadis
The bits where normal people are made participants in this type of comedy are always the best. This one is brilliant also for how Ant manages to pull off the straight man act 

Neil Hamburger unleashed on unsuspecting members of the public is probably my favorite type of comedy

#20 Apr 21, 2023, 06:10 AM Last Edit: Apr 21, 2023, 06:17 AM by Jwb
:laughing: i like this guy.   I feel like I've heard the name but this is the first time I've seen his act. His delivery is classic.

The cancer line really got me lol.

Oh man he's so good. There's a set of him opening for Tenacious D at Madison Square Garden that is one of the funniest things I've heard. Not on YT right now sadly

#22 Apr 23, 2023, 07:57 AM Last Edit: Apr 23, 2023, 07:59 AM by Mindy

https://twitter.com/shhon_
April 25th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

#23 Apr 26, 2023, 04:51 AM Last Edit: Apr 26, 2023, 05:13 AM by Jwb
Quote from: jadis on Apr 16, 2023, 11:12 AMThe bits where normal people are made participants in this type of comedy are always the best. This one is brilliant also for how Ant manages to pull off the straight man act.
Honestly i get where you are coming from.  There was tons of great o&a content with them bashing and making fun of callers to the show and even people they interviewed.  I have tons of funny examples of that.

But i can't help but think that where the show reached its peak comedically, as well as what it later became famous for was when they would get a couple of comedians in studio and they would banter, crack jokes and shit on eachother.

It was somewhat similar in style to the show  Colin Quinn had on comedy central back in the early 00's,  named Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn.

That show was somewhat similar to Bill Maher's much better known "Politically Incorrect" in terms of the basic format of one host and 4 panelists bantering back and forth based on topics set by the host.

The main difference was that Tough Crowd was a comedy show with the pretense of covering relevant political topics, rather than a show based on showcasing political discourse with the occasional joke thrown in.

On Tough Crowd, the banter often took over the room and what started as a semi political discussion quickly devolved into the panelists just openly roasting one another.

Colin booked a number of comedians in the show including seinfield, chappelle. Louis c k., bill.burr etc

But his primary cast of comedians included guys like jim norton. patrice. kevin hart (before the fame),  rich vos, bob kelly, greg giraldo, nick dipoalo, Etc. 

The show never made it past a couple seasons and though it retains a sort of cult following, the only way to watch it is on youtube in grainy clips that were uploaded years ago.

But since jim norton was a part of that same network of comedians, he introduced most of them to O&A. So they had a lot of episodes with multiple comedians in talking shit and bantering,  and that's sorta what the show became famous for. Heres a prime example of the sort of thing i mean, with a packed line up that you would only see on a special occasion.  In this case,  that occasion was roasting an old stand up routine by Jim norton.

:laughing:

https://twitter.com/shhon_
April 25th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

I have tickets to see Bill Burr this summer.  I've never been to a comedy show before because shows are few and far between where I live and there aren't many comedians I would make a long drive to see. Pretty excited for it.

Quote from: Jwb on Apr 26, 2023, 04:51 AMHonestly i get where you are coming from.  There was tons of great o&a content with them bashing and making fun of callers to the show and even people they interviewed.  I have tons of funny examples of that.

But i can't help but think that where the show reached its peak comedically, as well as what it later became famous for was when they would get a couple of comedians in studio and they would banter, crack jokes and shit on eachother.

It was somewhat similar in style to the show  Colin Quinn had on comedy central back in the early 00's,  named Tough Crowd with Colin Quinn.

That show was somewhat similar to Bill Maher's much better known "Politically Incorrect" in terms of the basic format of one host and 4 panelists bantering back and forth based on topics set by the host.

The main difference was that Tough Crowd was a comedy show with the pretense of covering relevant political topics, rather than a show based on showcasing political discourse with the occasional joke thrown in.

On Tough Crowd, the banter often took over the room and what started as a semi political discussion quickly devolved into the panelists just openly roasting one another.

Colin booked a number of comedians in the show including seinfield, chappelle. Louis c k., bill.burr etc

But his primary cast of comedians included guys like jim norton. patrice. kevin hart (before the fame),  rich vos, bob kelly, greg giraldo, nick dipoalo, Etc. 

The show never made it past a couple seasons and though it retains a sort of cult following, the only way to watch it is on youtube in grainy clips that were uploaded years ago.

But since jim norton was a part of that same network of comedians, he introduced most of them to O&A. So they had a lot of episodes with multiple comedians in talking shit and bantering,  and that's sorta what the show became famous for. Heres a prime example of the sort of thing i mean, with a packed line up that you would only see on a special occasion.  In this case,  that occasion was roasting an old stand up routine by Jim norton.

That's a fucking great roast

Quote from: Jwb on May 10, 2023, 04:03 AM

I loved Rosanne breaking down the backstory behind that Nazi photo she took.  :laughing:

I was this cool the whole time.