...because "attention spans" sounds like I'm probing for psychological weaknesses, which is def not the case.

This thread is a response to a discussion that Trollheart and I were having about Tales Of Topographic Oceans: it's a double album which he listened to from start to finish, but I would never do that with any double album. Most often about 30 mins listening to one artist is sufficient for me to want a change - either to a different artist, or to a different activity. Obviously, that would change with a concert, a music documentary or some such.

Outside of music, I noticed this the other day: the movie Schindler's List is about 3 hours long, and I enjoyed it full-length when I first discovered it. Now it's on Netflix and I'm watching it in about 20 minute segments :( Maybe because it's no longer new to me.

Anyway, I'd be curious to hear about how other people ration out their attention when their only motive is to enjoy a bit of media. 

To get lost is to learn the way.

I usually listen to albums from start to finish. Sometimes I'll skip past a song if it's not holding my attention.

I usually watch movies from start to finish in one sitting. Once in a while I might break a movie up into 2 or 3 segments over 2 or 3 days but If I wait longer that 2 or 3 days to finish watching it, I usually end up forgetting about it.

#2 Apr 15, 2024, 08:23 PM Last Edit: Apr 15, 2024, 10:09 PM by Marie Monday
it depends on state of mind and circumstance, but in principle, if the music/film/whatever is good enough, my attention span is pretty much unlimited. A lot of my favourite films happen to be very long too: Fanny and Alexander, Seven Samurai, Love Exposure, Boyhood... idk if that's a coincidence. In general I find it easy to do things for hours on end, I'm just meditative and phlegmatic I guess. It suits me, I prefer to take things in one go. Reading is an exception, of course, but I also tend to have a lot of patience with cumbersome and long books.

Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 15, 2024, 08:23 PMI'm just [...] phlegmatic I guess.

Have you considered discussing that with your doctor?  ;)

I feel like any doctor who would take phlegmatitude seriously as a complaint would prescribe leeches or some shit

Quote from: SGR on Apr 15, 2024, 08:39 PMHave you considered discussing that with your doctor?  ;)
^ :laughing:
Quote from: Marie Monday on Apr 15, 2024, 10:11 PMI feel like any doctor who would take phlegmatitude seriously as a complaint would prescribe leeches or some shit
^ :laughing:

Of course there are so many variables, the question could never turn up on a legit survey. To state the obvious, the biggest variable is how much you are enjoying the program or whatever. I have, for example, binge-watched some Netflix series: maybe three episodes in one sitting.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Apr 15, 2024, 03:53 PMI usually listen to albums from start to finish. Sometimes I'll skip past a song if it's not holding my attention.

I usually watch movies from start to finish in one sitting. Once in a while I might break a movie up into 2 or 3 segments over 2 or 3 days but If I wait longer that 2 or 3 days to finish watching it, I usually end up forgetting about it.

^ Yep! Very similar for me regarding movies, Psy-Fi - and with the cd format I sometimes found myself listening to a whole album complete: tricked into it because we no longer had to get up physically and turn the vinyl over, if anyone remembers such a primitive practise.

To get lost is to learn the way.