My parents met in theater school and when I was growing up they ran a community theater in my town, so I grew up around theater and I was in a decent amount of plays in school. As result, I have kind of a soft spot for theater. I don't follow it as closely as I'd like, but I do like it, so I figured I'd start a thread about it.

Feel free to post whatever. But to start things out, what's the most recent play you've seen and what's the best play you've seen?

I'll go first.

Most recent: Mrs. Doubtfire. I'm not a fan of the original movie so it's not something I really wanted to see, but my wife wanted to go so I got us tickets for Valentine's Day. I wasn't crazy about it, but I was blown away that they managed to find an actor who was as energetic and good at impressions as Robin Williams.

Best: I saw David Mamet's American Buffalo many years ago and it was incredible. It's easily the most intense play and performances I've ever seen in person.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I've only ever gone to a tiny handful of theater shows in my life. Like, I could probably count them on one hand. So unless I'm misremembering, my best and most recent shows are actually the same, which was Spamalot on Broadway in 2005. I had fun, and it was awesome to see the ever-present icon of my childhood Tim Curry live.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Lexi Darling on Mar 31, 2024, 01:38 AMI've only ever gone to a tiny handful of theater shows in my life. Like, I could probably count them on one hand. So unless I'm misremembering, my best and most recent shows are actually the same, which was Spamalot on Broadway in 2005. I had fun, and it was awesome to see the ever-present icon of my childhood Tim Curry live.

That's amazing that you got to see Tim Curry!

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Beetlejuice the Musical was an absolute blast.

I'm fortunate to have both Sheas Buffalo Theatre and the esteemed Irish Classical Theatre in my city. Seeing Waiting for Godot was a treat and I recently attended a lecture by the great Vincent O'Neill where he performed a bit of Shakespeare.

And the summer Shakespeare in the Park events are free to the public which is fantastic as well.

(I'm like this all the time.)