Sooo, I will be reviewing some albums made by female musicians. I won't follow any specific order. If I'm lucky enough to finish the first one on time, I'll post it today. Greetings to everyone  ;)

#1 Jul 31, 2023, 12:03 AM Last Edit: Jul 31, 2023, 12:15 AM by RebelYeller
Just A Stone's Throw Away-Valerie Carter (1977)

Tracklist:
1. O-o-h Child
2. Ringing Doorbells In The Rain
3. Heartache
4. Face Of Appalachia
5. So, So, Happy
6. A Stones's Throw Away
7. Cowboy Angel
8. City Lights
9. Back To The Blue Some More

I remember the first time I came across Valerie Carter's name after reading an article explaining that Steve Winwood's Valerie was dedicated to her. Intrigued by her career as a vocalist for famous artists like Jackson Browne, Little Feat, Linda Ronstadt, Christopher Cross and James Taylor, I decided to listen to her debut album, featuring contributions from most of these musicians. Just A Stone's Throw Away seemed to boost her reputation in the music industry, but it fell short of being a commercial success. Uncertain about my expectations for the album, I still can't decide if I'm disappointed or pleasantly surprised.

Carter didn't write any of the songs except for Face Of Appalachia, co-written with Ron Koss. The album's production and instrumentation were handled by notable musicians of the time, including William Payne and Lowell George of Little Feat, renowned drummer Jeff Porcaro, Maurice Earth of Earth, Wind & Fire, and Linda Ronstadt, among others.

The album kicks off with a version of Five Stairsteps' hit O-o-h Child, where Carter's voice impressed me with its purity, at times sounding almost angelic, yet carrying a powerful force. The arrangement and instrumentation are impeccable, making it the best version of the song I've heard so far. Unfortunately, my initial excitement waned as I progressed through the album.

Ringing Doorbells In The Rain managed to salvage some hope with its acceptable performance and smooth vocal style. However, Face Of Appalachia left me a bit bored. While the folk-inspired vibrations reminiscent of Going To California captured my attention initially, the song became increasingly repetitive, saved only by Carter's progressively powerful vocals. Oh, and I almost forgot the previous one, Heartache (no wonder why, since its quite forgettable). It takes a mellower, ballad-like approach, but despite being more interesting initially, it becomes somewhat monotonous after the first minute, leaving me wanting more variety and dynamics.

By this point, I could anticipate the album's overall direction. It appeared to be a showcase of Valerie's impressive vocal abilities, complemented by the wonderful arrangement and production, but it lacked creativity. Spoiler alert: My foresight proved correct, and my opinion remained unchanged by the end of the album.

However, there's still more to discuss, so I'll move on to the next song. So, So, Happy starts somewhat strangely, even bizarrely, but it turns out to be a rather upbeat track that I enjoyed more than the previous two. Carter's different vocal approach, with a more mature and deep voice, contributes to its appeal. The level of quality remains kinda OK with the title track, A Stones's Throw Away, boasting a soulful and bluesy introduction that promises a rocking experience. The gospel-inspired keyboards and Carter's raspy voice add a fantastic touch to the song.

Cowboy Angel may not have the most appealing title, but it stands out as the best ballad on the album and, undoubtedly, it is my favourite track on the album after O-o-h Child.

The last two tracks aren't as strong, but they're not irritating either. City Lights is probably the most rock-oriented song, featuring wild sax and guitar sounds, along with Carter's intriguing whispering voice. As for the closing track, Back To The Blue Some More, it returns to the typical smooth ballad style, though the outro differs significantly from the song's general tone, providing a burst of energy.

Throughout the review, you might have noticed that I didn't mention anything about the lyrics of the songs. That's because, in my opinion, they are quite generic or cliché and don't add much to the songs.

Now, to give an overall rating to the album, I must be honest and say that Just A Stone's Throw Away lacks creativity. The songs themselves don't seem interesting nor do they offer any original ideas. They serve almost as vocal exercises for Carter, showing her impressive range and versatility. While she may have been somewhat forgotten (the number of listens on Spotify is almost depressing), I believe this work should have propelled her to more significant opportunities beyond being the opening act for the Eagles on their European tour. With her immense talent, Valerie Carter could have secured her place among the divas of popular music in the 20th century.

Overall rating: 6/10

Nice review!

I don't know Valerie Carter from before, but checked out your recommendations O-o-h Child and Cowboy Angel and I like them. As you point out, it's well produced and she has a great singing voice.

I'll take your word for it regarding the rest of the album, though.

Thanks for your review! I've subscribed and am looking forward to whatever you've got lined up 🙂

Happiness is a warm manatee