Throbbing Gristle - E-Coli

Quote from: Lucem Ferre on Jul 11, 2024, 06:46 AMI'm about to get into the KMFDM catalog.

From what I heard skimming through it, I feel like it's going to be real hit or miss for me.

KMFDM is a band that slightly interested me in my late teens around the turn of the century. I haven't listened to them since and only vaguely remember liking some of their music, but the song titles are long forgotten.

If you find some gems, I'd be interested if you're up for sharing 🙂 I might see if I can find whatever it was that fascinated me back then as well.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Just posted - Alan Sparhawk (of the former band Low)'s new music video for the first single from his upcoming debut solo album, White Roses, My God, his first release since the passing of Mimi.

"Can U Hear"

(I'm like this all the time.)

I've seen this described as a mix of zeuhl and new wave and although I understand where this evaluation comes from, it doesn't sound particularly zeuhlish to me. Anyway, some cool, energetic, zany french new wave with elements of jazz and AvantProg. Really fun and well played.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 16, 2024, 03:21 PMKMFDM is a band that slightly interested me in my late teens around the turn of the century. I haven't listened to them since and only vaguely remember liking some of their music, but the song titles are long forgotten.

If you find some gems, I'd be interested if you're up for sharing 🙂 I might see if I can find whatever it was that fascinated me back then as well.

Alright, when I'm out of moving purgatory I'll share my favorites as I go through their catalogue.

Going through some recent instrumentals from the Aussie jazz funk scene, it being summertime. This one is like a meetup between Roy Ayers, Isaac Hayes and a travelling brass ensemble and they decide to pump one out in the local high street.

The Kruder & Dorfmeister remix of "Bug Powder Dust" is my favorite atmospheric drum and bass cut of all-time. And the sheer number of literary and subcultural references, (mostly referencing William S. Burroughs) hidden throughout the lyrics is unparalleled.

I love the annotated lyrics from Genius dot com. Other versions misinterpret lyrics ("trying like hard" instead of "trying like Hart" which is itself a reference to Burroughs' graphic novel Ah Pook Is Here as one example), but this version hits every lyric on the head.

An absolute classic.

Annotations:
https://genius.com/Bomb-the-bass-bug-powder-dust-lyrics

(I'm like this all the time.)

Dear Silas - Mood

I was this cool the whole time.

Tori Amos - 97 Bonnie and Clyde

I always liked a bit of dub. I guess this is an example of dub.

Joe Armon-Jones - Starting Today (Brownswood Basement)

#599 Jul 30, 2024, 08:57 PM Last Edit: Jul 30, 2024, 09:02 PM by Lucem Ferre
Quote from: Lucem Ferre on Jul 17, 2024, 12:21 PMAlright, when I'm out of moving purgatory I'll share my favorites as I go through their catalogue.

So far KMFDM has coincidentally followed in the footsteps of my opinion on Depeche Mode.

I don't like their earlier work from the 80s too much but I'm starting to really like their work from the 90s. A mix of NIN & Manson from that era with a dash of electro industrial artists like Wumpscut and some dark wave.

My least favorite songs are the ones that lean too far into the western/southern rock sound.

Edit: I also have to give them credit for having a career where the consistently dropped music for the last 4 decades. The only other artists I can think of that do that without taking huge breaks is ICP.