Taking in the 2001 Columbia-issued The Complete In a Silent Way Sessions 3CD / 5LP box set.

As a passionate ambient music connoisseur, In a Silent Way is by far my favorite Miles Davis record, so I leapt at the chance to hear the working material from those sessions.

My understanding is that there was really nothing else like it, neither before nor since, so it's a treasure to enjoy three CDs worth of Davis' exploration of his pioneering new territory.

The music is described as atmospheric, mellow, nocturnal, mysterious, soothing, calm, meditative, hypnotic, and peaceful. I'd love to hear more but I'm not sure anything else comes close.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: Guybrush on May 27, 2023, 07:51 AMI was reminded of this one the other day. I like it!

I remember when that album came out. It was their first album in something like seven years and I know a lot of people were disappointed by it. I've always thought there were some absolute bangers on it though, and frankly Fat of the Land is a tough album to follow up.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Underrated Coltrane record:

ᐄ, ᒥᔅᔭ Kosmischer Laufer ᐊᓵᐱᒼ!!!

Quote from: ᑕᐧᔐᔫᓂᑯᒑᔥ on Jun 02, 2023, 12:17 AMᐄ, ᒥᔅᔭ Kosmischer Laufer ᐊᓵᐱᒼ!!!

vIparHa'. nIteb yIghoS.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

I was reminded of this blast from the 90s today :laughing:

It's the most 90s thing I've seen in a while.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Francoise does Wall of Sound

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

#112 Jun 08, 2023, 04:58 PM Last Edit: Jun 09, 2023, 05:32 PM by Saulaac
Pekka Pohjola on bass brought me 'ere

Shoehorning this one in as well which sounds Mahavish-ish. 3:10-3:38 is 'la cerise sur le gâteau'.

Our man has been around the world
Everything he's done and seen
He touched the golden pearl
If that is true, how could it be
With empty eyes he looks around
But yet he doesn't see
Those eyes are scaring me...

Since returning from Paris haven't been in the mood for Beefheart or Ligeti or PIL or whatever I'm usually listening to.

Been listening instead to the quintessential French whisperings album by the queen herself

Revisited this album after mentioning it in one of TR's threads:

Haven't heard it in a long time, but it's still good 🙂

Tried looking for an appropriate thread covering "recent compositions in the style of previous decades" but couldn't find one (maybe there's a reason for that!), so went with robhr's thread.

I do enjoy 70s cop show music primarily because some of it very good, nostalgia, and cos I think it too often gets thrown into the 'miscellaneous' bin (or pile of cardboard boxes if you like).
Andy Tolman Cartel did a great album "Cypher" a few years ago. Rather than taking the mickey, I believe they genuinely captured that style, as can be heard in this track, with all its motifs, twitches, ka-pows and soaring harmonies.
Would be interested to hear recommendations of other current bands showing love for that specific 70s detective show sound ie. not just general jazz funk. Cheers  8)

Ella Fitzgerald was mentioned in one of the other threads... this is one of my favorite performances of any American standard

I did a fun little project today. I've a fondness for the ultra-smooth textured, jazzy, ambient tone of a classic Fender Rhodes keyboard, particularly when paired with a 1978 Prophet 5 or similar synth and some liberal sustain.

I found archives of 14 classic albums which prominently featured the Rhodes, but really wanted to focus on the velvety ambience of echo-laden improvisational pieces where melody takes a backseat to texture and tone.

So I performed a deep-dive into YouTube for solo Rhodes demonstration and improv videos. I ripped the best specimen at a high bitrate, batch-processed the tagging information using uniform filenaming conventions, found a nice retro reference photo of a Rhodes to drop in for album cover art, and queued up the resulting 58-minute album set on my server in my favorite circumaural headphones to survey the results. (This way the serene listening experience isn't tainted by intermittent Youtube adverts for deodorant and weight-loss products.)

I'm pleased with how it turned out, and for an extra dash of nostalgia, I closed the set with Bob James' "Angela (The Theme from 'Taxi')," also from 1978.

Good times!

(I'm like this all the time.)

Let the panties fly...

Tom Jones & The Senators - Chills & Fever (The Beat Room, 5th Oct 1964)

Quote from: jadis on Jun 17, 2023, 07:20 PMElla Fitzgerald was mentioned in one of the other threads... this is one of my favorite performances of any American standard

That's fine, but imagine what it would be like if you swapped Ella for Billie Holiday 😲