I don't at all understand what you're saying. Are you complaining that what you went through at an Israeli checkpoint does not allow you to deny the Holocaust, or did someone say this to you? I believe nothing allows anyone to deny the Holocaust, just as nothing allows anyone to deny the sky above them or the fact that Nickelback are a joke. Can you clarify, as you seem to be wandering off the point I was making here...?

he's not wandering off, it's just an example
I agree that it's better to stay out of situations where you can't say the right thing without being harsh, ironically that sometimes feels impossible especially on a forum

#32 Mar 27, 2023, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Mar 27, 2023, 11:01 PM by jadis
Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 27, 2023, 07:53 PMI don't at all understand what you're saying. Are you complaining that what you went through at an Israeli checkpoint does not allow you to deny the Holocaust, or did someone say this to you? I believe nothing allows anyone to deny the Holocaust, just as nothing allows anyone to deny the sky above them or the fact that Nickelback are a joke. Can you clarify, as you seem to be wandering off the point I was making here...?

Who are the people typically having rough time at Israeli checkpoints? It's NOT white guys from Canada who are in Jerusalem on a teaching fellowship.

So I was not the one saying that the Holocaust is a Zionist ruse to take over Palestine. I was the one put in the unenviable position of having to clarify that nothing justifies saying something like this. Which I brought up as an example of a difficult topic, where being excellent to your interlocutor is not exactly an option. But you must speak cause if you don't you tacitly endorse something pretty awful.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I have to be honest,  it makes more sense to be cautious in the real world.  I wouldn't want to have a discussion about any of this edgy shit if i was at a job or at school or somewhere where it could come back to bite you,  even if you had the best intentions.  Even posting shit like that on Facebook is kinda dumb.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 28, 2023, 12:59 AMI have to be honest,  it makes more sense to be cautious in the real world.  I wouldn't want to have a discussion about any of this edgy shit if i was at a job or at school or somewhere where it could come back to bite you,  even if you had the best intentions.  Even posting shit like that on Facebook is kinda dumb.

100%

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

#35 Mar 28, 2023, 05:01 AM Last Edit: Mar 28, 2023, 05:04 AM by Trollheart
Ah yes of course but I'm talking strictly about this forum, here. So when you replied with "great precept but..." you seemed, to me, to be wandering away from what I was saying by pulling the example into real life. That's not what I meant, which is why I was confused. Obviously most people will behave differently out in the real world. All I'm saying is that, so far as we can, we should be excellent to each other while here. If that can be carried through to the real world, so much the better, but here we should at least make an effort.

no sports section ::) 

https://twitter.com/shhon_
April 25th, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: Mindy on Apr 02, 2023, 06:52 PMno sports section ::) 

There is a fitness thread. You can tell us what you've been up to in that one.

There aren't enough sports fans to get a sports sub forum going.

Only God knows.

But where will I post my NFL mock drafts and pre-season power rankings?

Start one. Do a thread in the Lounge and if enough people want a sports sub-forum we can create it. We have Jadis' football one as well, so maybe there is enough interest. Anyone who wants a sports sub-forum let us know and we'll take it under advisement ie ignore you completely no I mean we'll look into it.

If enough people want a Sports section, we can make one and try it out :)

Something I worry about just slightly is I feel the site has occasional drops in performance. Have others noticed?

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 03, 2023, 12:40 AMIf enough people want a Sports section, we can make one and try it out :)

Something I worry about just slightly is I feel the site has occasional drops in performance. Have others noticed?

Yep. Just came to mention that. The server seems to go down every now and then.

Only God knows.

#42 Apr 03, 2023, 01:08 AM Last Edit: Apr 03, 2023, 01:13 AM by Guybrush
I can set up a time for regular maintenance / optimization, but we may have to get a better hosting plan. Currently the most reasonable seems to be to go up to the 10 bucks per month option.

Edit:

A tip is to not use the recent posts on index as that gobbles resources, so I'll shut down that for now.

Quote from: Guybrush on Apr 03, 2023, 12:40 AMIf enough people want a Sports section, we can make one and try it out :)

Yeah, I had trouble loading the site earlier today.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Recent posts have been removed now along with some other optimizations in order to improve performance. Hopefully that should have some real benefits.