Yeah, I would take the Duke over Satchmo anyday.

But in fairness to Satchmo, his style was more from the Dixieland pioneered by the likes of Scott Joplin and others while Ellington was truly embarking on what was then a new sound. Ellington at his best knew how to interpret moods and Mood Indigo is a good example of that. In fact I'd argue his 1930s output is superior to his better known 40's output. Armstrong, meanwhile, was going for the bright lights and I'm sure that affected his music to an extent (What a Wonderful World is a great song though).

The Word has spoken :D

OTW is definitely better than Thriller.

Music fans know this. The general public doesn't.

I will sound like a snob but I do not care  8)

Only God knows.

The Beatles 'White' album should've been whittled down and released as a single LP.

As it is, it sounds like a haphazard collection of songs that they wrote for the album mixed with leftover songs from various, previous recording sessions.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 04, 2023, 03:10 PMThe Beatles 'White' album should've been whittled down and released as a single LP.

As it is, it sounds like a haphazard collection of songs that they wrote for the album mixed with leftover songs from various, previous recording sessions.

I 100% agree.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on May 04, 2023, 03:10 PMThe Beatles 'White' album should've been whittled down and released as a single LP.

i've seen this criticism before and it wouldn't be controversial if no one disagreed

but i certainly do disagree

the rough fragmented sound when looked at from afar (since it's rarely apparent in the moment when the songs are considered independently) is a successful allegory for the fragmented fnature of human interactionism - plus, and people disagree with this I know, there's no filler on the white album (or any beatles album for that matter) there's really nothing that could be cut that wouldn't be a tragic loss imo

while i agree with you that it is in a way a "haphazard collection" i consider that a strength for the reasons above and another reason - it's a statement by the beatles that they are 4 individuals as well as a band which extends itself into being a statement in favor of non-conformity which was revolutionary at the time and became a cornerstone of much of the greatest rock'n'roll to come as well as pop music of any genre

but if that's your opinion as far as what you personally enjoy turn it into a playlist and knock some songs off of it

i might just listen to the psy-fi anti-deluxe edition myself

I think I could live without this song

Quote from: SGR on May 04, 2023, 04:24 PMI think I could live without this song

Has a nice Residents vibe

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

If nothing else I do give them credit for sticking 9 minutes of musique concrete sound collage into the middle of a pop album. I'm not a huge Beatles fan but that was pretty based, not gonna lie.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: SGR on May 04, 2023, 04:24 PMI think I could live without this song

52 seconds of fragmentation- it's not a heavy ask for the listener and it has purpose

i like it to boot

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 04, 2023, 05:31 PMIf nothing else I do give them credit for sticking 9 minutes of musique concrete sound collage into the middle of a pop album. I'm not a huge Beatles fan but that was pretty based, not gonna lie.

revolution 9 is one of the most important songs of all time

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 03, 2023, 02:36 PMMorrissey's lyrics are corny to the max.

You mean songs like "You're the one for me, fatty" or "Girlfriend in a coma"?

He certainly seems to have a unique kind of brain. Corny is right. It makes his songs kinda fun, though :laughing:

Happiness is a warm manatee

QuoteGirlfriend in a coma

it's serious

i like how he might be talking about the relationship or her condition

Quote from: Toy Revolver on May 04, 2023, 11:34 PMit's serious

i like how he might be talking about the relationship or her condition

I find it weird that he sings that there are times when he could've murdered/strangled her. It's not like extremely weird, but as Mrs. Waffles might say.. kinda corny!

Happiness is a warm manatee

at worst it's funny

at best it's extraordinarily clever

When my wife and I get really drunk, we both sing "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" together.