Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 06:03 PMThe first track on that album with his mom talking about his birth and riding a bike is some of the corniest shit I've ever heard on a Hip-Hop song.

Macklemore levels of shit.

I didn't find it that corny, maybe a little overly theatrical. Probably wouldn't make it in a top 5 list of corny things Jay has done. Now this, this is corny:

But most popular rappers create something that could be argued as being corny, Nas included:

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 06:38 PMGo and check the last five albums Nas has released.

He's taken a big steaming shit all over this argument.

I've listened to most of them. They're admittedly pretty good albums - better than most of his 2000s output at least. And I have to give Nas credit for having this second wind so late in his career with how prolific he's been.

But I don't think the fact that he found one guy (Hit Boy) who'd stick around with him, and make largely good (but usually not great) beats for six albums is a 'big steaming shit' on the argument that Nas himself doesn't have a good ear for beats. In fact, you could argue he's happy to have this one guy sticking around making beats for him because he knows he doesn't have a good ear for beats, so he's largely outsourced that responsibility to the one guy who's making his beats now. If Nas started consistently putting out albums with great beats from multiple different producers, that would convince me he has a good ear for beats. The last time he put out an album like that (imo) was Life Is Good in 2012, which I thought was a great record.

Biggie is big time overrated. He only had two albums. How long are we gonna keep him up on that podium? He barely has a catalog to compare to others that ARE alive and have been consistent.

I was this cool the whole time.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 09, 2024, 11:21 PMBiggie is big time overrated. He only had two albums. How long are we gonna keep him up on that podium? He barely has a catalog to compare to others that ARE alive and have been consistent.

I guess I wouldn't completely disagree with this. Biggie did have an incredible (and unique) voice and a hell of a flow. Add to this that he had some seriously slick beats (better than most of the beats Pac had in his career). I think part of why he's held up in such high regard, beyond the aforementioned, is that he died prematurely (or to be more accurate, he was murdered). He's got that Jim Morrison, Tupac, Kurt Cobain aura around his music, and whenever you listen to it, you always wonder what could've been.

Both of his studio albums are classics. If we're being realistic, if he would've kept going for 10 or 15 years, all of his output would not have been classic.

Quote from: DJChameleon on Apr 09, 2024, 11:21 PMBiggie is big time overrated. He only had two albums. How long are we gonna keep him up on that podium? He barely has a catalog to compare to others that ARE alive and have been consistent.

Its because he snuffed it so early.

The feud and murders elevated his legacy along with 2Pac.

Other rappers also lick their arses relentlessly as they're scared of disrespecting them and that overrates them too.

Big L is every bit as good as Biggie, if not better, but you don't hear him get the same recognition.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 09, 2024, 11:30 PMIts because he snuffed it so early.

The feud and murders elevated his legacy along with 2Pac.

Other rappers also lick their arses relentlessly as they're scared of disrespecting them and that overrates them too.

Big L is every bit as good as Biggie, if not better, but you don't hear him get the same recognition.

I agree with this - I don't think Big L's voice was as distinctly unique as Biggie's but technically he's just as good, if not better than Biggie was. Of course, he didn't have those catchy and flashy Bad Boy beats and he wasn't part of a big and highly publicized east coast/west coast rap feud that ended in his death.

But what about Big Lurch?

The cannibal guy?

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Is he actually a good rapper?

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 10, 2024, 12:28 AMIs he actually a good rapper?

Eh.

He's not bad. Production kinda sucked though.

@jimmy jazz

Well, from my mouth to God's ears, Nas appears to be doing a full collab album with DJ Premier - wow!

Nas and DJ Premier Tease Album, Share New Song "Define My Name": Listen

Not that Hit Boy isn't good, but he's no DJ Premier.

Nas + Premo > Jay-Z & Kanye

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 19, 2024, 11:33 PMNas + Premo > Jay-Z & Kanye

A wet fart > Jay-Z & Kanye

Quote from: Janszoon on Apr 20, 2024, 01:17 AMA wet fart > Jay-Z & Kanye

Just a wet one? What about a dry one?