Quote from: Lisnaholic on Nov 12, 2023, 04:57 AM^ Disorientation like that sounds quite endearing ! Did TM treat you well, LvsN ?

He's an absolute sweetheart. 

I like some angsty teenage rock, it's more that Sonic Youth were (IMO) worse at doing it than a lot of bands and yet still had this kind of insufferable "hipper than thou" sneer to their overall vibe. It reminds me of the pretentious music snobs I went to college with.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Nov 12, 2023, 10:46 AMI like some angsty teenage rock, it's more that Sonic Youth were (IMO) worse at doing it than a lot of bands and yet still had this kind of insufferable "hipper than thou" sneer to their overall vibe. It reminds me of the pretentious music snobs I went to college with.

I forget whether it was High Fidelity or Empire Records which covered this theme best but I know what you're talking about.  :laughing:

I think Gold might be better than Purple Rain (the songs).

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Dec 04, 2023, 09:56 PMI think Gold might be better than Purple Rain (the songs).

Well duh, the spot price of gold right now is over $2k. Give me gold over the entire album of Purple Rain (which is worth much less).

Roger Waters DROPPED By Music Publisher Over Phony Antisemitism Slurs

Lauryn Hill and her album are overrated as fuck.

I bought it and it has some good songs on it, but only good. The album is a whole is quite gimmicky. There's nothing really special about it.

Considering she's regarded as one of the great rappers she's definitely overrated.

I think I might be missing something. I just don't get it.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 19, 2024, 11:17 PMLauryn Hill and her album are overrated as fuck.

I bought it and it has some good songs on it, but only good. The album is a whole is quite gimmicky. There's nothing really special about it.

Considering she's regarded as one of the great rappers she's definitely overrated.

She's never really done it for me either. 

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 11, 2023, 03:33 PMI hope we all agree Oasis and The Stone Roses are two of the most overrated bands ever  :)

This is genuinely the esteem plenty of people hold these pub singers in in this country. Most commenting how daft it is but plenty opting for Oasis.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 28, 2024, 12:00 AM

This is genuinely the esteem plenty of people hold these pub singers in in this country. Most commenting how daft it is but plenty opting for Oasis.

As a Brit, I can see why you'd think Oasis is overrated. As an American, Oasis didn't get much traction here beyond Wonderwall. That's their only single that stuck over here - occasionally you'll hear Champagne Supernova. But over here, I think they're an underrated band.

I may have said this before, but Definitely Maybe was the first album I bought with my own money. My obsession with the band grew from there. And no, I don't care who they ripped off, because the music and the attitude was perfect.

Their first three records plus The Masterplan will probably always be emotionally more important to me than any Beatles record, even if I could admit that the Beatles were much more innovative and creative.

I also have a brother I always argue and bicker with - and he loves Oasis too - so I also connect to the Gallaghers on that level too. I'm over here praying for a reunion just for the chance to see them perform together.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 19, 2024, 11:17 PMLauryn Hill and her album are overrated as fuck.

I thought she went off on this song:

But I've never been too inspired in checking out her catalogue. I like dense, hard flows. I thought she was probably the best rapper on the fugees.

MGK's tune for Eminem was better than Eminem's tune back at him.

I don't know how unpopular this is but it seems like Eminem is considered the winner. I don't think he was. MGK's was pretty funny and had more to it. I think him being a bit of a gimp and Eminem being a legend affects people's opinions.

It's like that meme with the rap battle where they all react to the shittest lyrics and ignore the good rapper.

Only God knows.

#313 Mar 29, 2024, 10:48 PM Last Edit: Mar 29, 2024, 10:51 PM by SGR
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 29, 2024, 10:15 PMMGK's tune for Eminem was better than Eminem's tune back at him.

I don't know how unpopular this is but it seems like Eminem is considered the winner. I don't think he was. MGK's was pretty funny and had more to it. I think him being a bit of a gimp and Eminem being a legend affects people's opinions.

It's like that meme with the rap battle where they all react to the shittest lyrics and ignore the good rapper.

Machine Gun Kelly? I wasn't aware of any diss tracks between him and Eminem. Maybe I'm out of touch these days with modern hip hop beefs.

That said, this seems a bit controversial, at least it used to be, but Jay-Z's "Takeover" was light years ahead of Nas's "Ether" in terms of a diss track. Most hip-hop heads, at least years ago, seemed to agree that Nas won the beef. But I don't even like "Ether" like that. The beat is kinda mediocre and the track is filled with homophobia. Now I'm not gonna pretend that older rap doesn't have a lot of homophobia, but the gay jokes/jabs don't even really land with me because there's never been an indication, as far as I know, that Jay-Z has any homosexual proclivities. As a result, it comes off as childish to me. Jay was summating Nas's mediocre discography up until that point:

Quote from: 'Jay Z'Four albums in ten years nigga? I can divide
That's one every let's say two, two of them shits was due
One was nah, the other was "Illmatic"
That's a one hot album every ten-year average

...meanwhile Nas was saying Jay had 'dick suckin lips'. Nas is a legend, don't get it twisted, and I really think Jay brought him down to Earth and reinvigorated Nas's energy and career, but "Ether" doesn't hold a candle to "Takeover"

That Doors sample was fuckin lit too.

Yeh Machine Gun Kelly. Have a listen to it when you can. It's called Rap Devil.

As for Nas vs Jay, Ether was better imo.

Only God knows.