Would you like a new, less moderated forum for controversial content?

Yes
6 (54.5%)
No
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 09, 2023, 04:11 AMI thought OH's comments on janz were tame. And on point. What was the most offensive one? That he doesn't even like Sun Ra?

yikes - that is a horrible thing to say about somebody

but seriously i appreciate you going to bat for me

Seriously though I might be crazy but I feel like we are gonna need some sort of outlet to vent our genuine dislike for one another.  As a community.  I know some of you don't like me and vice versa.  We can keep pretending like it's not under the surface like janz was raised to do,  but that only leads to repression.  Imo. Which is why we need a subforum that is called The Octogon.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 09, 2023, 04:21 AMSeriously though I might be crazy but I feel like we are gonna need some sort of outlet to vent our genuine dislike for one another.  As a community.  I know some of you don't like me and vice versa.  We can keep pretending like it's not under the surface like janz was raised to do,  but that only leads to repression.  Imo. Which is why we need a subforum that is called The Octogon.

you'll still get banned

ultimately when the mods or someone they like loses an argument the go to move is to ban the winner

it won't be any different here

Bro you told me do it their way

Stop cockblocking my subforum. If it fails then let it fail. It's worth a try.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 08, 2023, 11:53 PMi say i don't want to be called cis - you're like ok - you don't agree with the slur but you don't call me transphobic either

i doubt you'd answer this but if trans hadn't fought it's way to the the t in lgbt

if trans people were totally not accepted by any part of the media

who do you think would fight for you janz or me?

without any guidance but intuition and this is right this is wrong - who do you really think would have your back?

it's obviously me so i don't even care if you don't want to say it or really even if you pretend to the contrary

With all due respect, I would feel very uncomfortable answering your question. I hope you can respect my point of view on this.

For the record, my post was not directed at you, it was about general behavior when discussing controversial topics. I apologize if I was unclear.

In my daily life I am a very soft spoken and polite person and the last thing I want to do is get involved in any personal drama. I speak up for causes I believe in, and I do so quite passionately at times. But I absolutely do not wish to engage with personal stuff like this and I will excuse myself from this and any further discussions on controversial topics.

At the end of the day I am on this forum to have fun socializing. I don't have very many close friends in real life and I would like my experience here to be pleasant and personally enriching. I sincerely apologize if anything I have said has made anyone uncomfortable. I will try my best to help spread positivity on this forum going forward.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 09, 2023, 04:42 AMBro you told me do it their way

Stop cockblocking my subforum. If it fails then let it fail. It's worth a try.

fair enough

The Octagon could also just be a thread.

One thing I don't like about beefs is when they start to spill over into various threads and start derailing and putting their stain on discussions where it's not wanted. It would be better to work them beefs out in PMs. If that's not possible, consider using the ignore list. It's a good tool that I'm sure is way underused / underrated in general.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 09, 2023, 04:21 AMSeriously though I might be crazy but I feel like we are gonna need some sort of outlet to vent our genuine dislike for one another.  As a community.  I know some of you don't like me and vice versa.  We can keep pretending like it's not under the surface like janz was raised to do,  but that only leads to repression.  Imo. Which is why we need a subforum that is called The Octogon.

Good name.

Only God knows.

#54 Mar 09, 2023, 12:41 PM Last Edit: Mar 09, 2023, 12:43 PM by Janszoon
Quote from: Guybrush on Mar 09, 2023, 08:44 AMThe Octagon could also just be a thread.

One thing I don't like about beefs is when they start to spill over into various threads and start derailing and putting their stain on discussions where it's not wanted. It would be better to work them beefs out in PMs. If that's not possible, consider using the ignore list. It's a good tool that I'm sure is way underused / underrated in general.
I'm not sure the ignore list helps. I tried it a few weeks ago and now I have someone hurling insults at me for not replying to his comments.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

and for non-stop dishonest mischaracterizations

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 09, 2023, 12:46 PMand for non-stop dishonest mischaracterizations
I'm sorry you feel that way. I assure you I'm not being dishonest.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 08, 2023, 11:45 PMwas it fair to call my post "eugenics adjacent"

i mean how much abuse am i supposed to take

he doesn't like the woke thread so he implies it's right wing propaganda

he doesn't like cis is a slur thread so he calls me transphobic

he doesn't like the chatgpt thread so he associates me with nazis

hell yes i'm going to punch back

Well, I'd recommend arguing against specific criticisms if you don't agree with them. In terms of punching back: precise controlled jabs rather than wild swings that land above and below the belt.
Actually, I like both you and Janszoon very much as posters and I'm sorry that you aren't able to get along better, given that both of you have so much knowledge and great taste in music, books, movies, etc.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 09, 2023, 12:41 PMI'm not sure the ignore list helps. I tried it a few weeks ago and now I have someone hurling insults at me for not replying to his comments.

I also tried ignoring a poster on MB, which was very unsatisfactory indeed. I kept seeing blank posts and was all the time wondering: is this person posting about me??! I say "all the time", but my ignore plan lasted about two days I think.

To get lost is to learn the way.

I occasionally visit another forum which has a subforum for political oriented threads and it works out quite well. They also have another subforum for posters who get too obnoxious, so they can be sent there to duke it out amongst themselves without the drama spilling into other areas of the forum.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 09, 2023, 12:52 PM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 09, 2023, 12:46 PMand for non-stop dishonest mischaracterizations

that was profoundly dishone
Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 09, 2023, 12:52 PM

that's more dishonesty

"eugenics adjacent"

was just pathetic

pathetic moderation that it's still on the forum as well