Would you like a new, less moderated forum for controversial content?

Yes
6 (54.5%)
No
5 (45.5%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Mar 07, 2023, 08:02 PM Last Edit: Mar 07, 2023, 08:16 PM by Guybrush
Hey there, gang!

So we've been discussing a bit about what goes and what doesn't in terms of behaviour and posting. During those discussions, a suggestion has come up that maybe we should have a less moderated forum for controversial content.

• It could have an appropriately trashy, spooky or explanatory name
  • It could be opt-in, meaning it would be invisible to regular users until they opt into the membergroup able to see it
  • It would be less moderated, although we of course can't allow illegal content, death threats and the like

This time, we'd like to be democratic and put it to the vote, but we ask that you read our short appeals first - one for and one against.

Trollheart's appeal FOR goes as follows:

Quote from: TrollheartTrollheart's appeal FOR the creation of a less moderated forum

Ok well here's my proposal: do as I say or I'll kill you. All of you!  :laughing:

Seriously, in order to not alienate those who have a more, shall we say, outspoken view on matters which might be considered controversial and might be seen by others to be skewing the forum in one direction or another (right?) :laughing:  I propose we create a special, hidden, secret sub-forum where such things can be discussed. Only those who wished to read/participate in such discussions would be able to - nobody else would even see them, other than admin staff like us. This sub-forum would be not unpoliced but let, to some extent, run itself with little real interference from us, as the idea would be that anyone who is there wants to be there, and, further, is aware of what they're getting into.

Members could choose to opt-in or out as they wished: all they need do if they're in and have had enough and want out is to message one of us, and their membership could be changed accordingly. Same with anyone who wants in. The initial announcement thread would invite those who wish to be part of it to let us know, and they would be "badged" accordingly.

Anyone posting in this new sub-forum MUST agree NOT to post any controversial stuff outside of the sub-forum: if they do, it can just be moved of course, but the idea would be for us not to have to do that, for any of those type of threads to be put there by those who make them. Overall, such threads should not be referred to outside of the sub-forum, unless vaguely, and an invitation to join the sub-forum extended if anyone wishes to read.

I feel this would remove the anxiety and annoyance other members have about the forum going in a particular direction, would take away threads they would rather not see, and keep the main forum relatively peaceful and harmonious, while still allowing those who wish to, to express themselves without feeling that their, if you will, first amendment rights have been curtailed.

That's my proposal anyway.

Guybrush's appeal AGAINST goes as follows:

Quote from: Guybrush'sGuybrush's appeal AGAINST the creation of a less moderated forum

My wish would be that most controversial topics could be discussed anywhere. Generally, I'm not worried about subjects - only how they're discussed. As long as we can discuss something peacefully, I'd think The Lounge or other forums would be appropriate.

Hence, a less moderated forum, for me, wouldn't be necessary for certain topics, only for certain behaviours. Those behaviours might be fighting, offending others, shitposting, etc. In other words, behaviours I myself see little value in. I would worry mainly about these things:
  • That beefs generated in the less moderated forum spill over into other forums
  • That behaviour in the less moderated forum is allowed to influence the standard / bleed over into the other forums
  • That the less moderated forum is going to be a bitch to moderate
  • That it's going to become a stain and a cesspool of awfulness
I'll concede these are just worries and I don't know how it would go. However, we have a place for controversial topics (regular forums), just not controversial behaviours (which is fine with me) and so I'd suggest nay.

Vote away!

PS! If your vote should sway due to the discussion below, you can change it.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Yes as long as there is fairness and consistency. No harassment of users etc.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Mar 07, 2023, 09:16 PMYes as long as there is fairness and consistency. No harassment of users etc.

Isn't this just the regular forums? :laughing:

It'd be fairness in terms of equal opportunity to harass, maybe. Perhaps Trollheart should chime in, but I don't think we'd generally moderate insults much in this special forum.

Fair enough, I was just assuming any topic could be discussed, like the race thread earlier.

Only God knows.

I think the whole point is to allow those sort of threads, but more between people who are interested and are ok with it. Natch, we wouldn't allow hate speech or that kind of thing, people calling each other pedos or whatever, but the general dismay at some of the threads being started would be kind of regulated by being in the secret, invisible forum. That's how I'd see it. You could do what you like (to a point) and be left to your own devices. Mind you, anyone looking for mod assistance would get it; we wouldn't be cutting the members of the sub-forum loose or anything, as I understand it.

To me the troll basement option sounds like a lot of extra work and extra headaches for a forum that doesn't have very many active members.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

this idea never works unless you let it go completely unmoderated

it'll just be the same thing - if it offends trolls or guy it'll be censored

there's never been any mod in the history of forums who let things he didn't like fly and yall wouldn't either

I've been on a forum before where mods let most things slide. Was very difficult to get a ban on there. The one thing they were strict on was illegally downloading music. If you asked for or posted music and it wasn't a legal link to buy or a free download then you were gone.

Perhaps we could trial the new forum for a month and see how it goes? First thread could be the one Dreams posted, just move it into the new forum. Anyone got any ideas for names?

Only God knows.

the oh no somebody quoted chatgpt omg 😱 forum

It can work. At my writing forum, we had a policy of having non-political threads but there were always some that would get political anyway. After Trump got elected it was decided that we couldn't allow for a public forum to be a cesspool for the inevitable personal attacks, so the powers that be decided to start a secret forum that anyone could join with the caveat that what was said in the secret forum stayed in the secret forum. It worked out quite well in the end. The extremist crowd had their playground and the rest of us could talk about writing. Why can't we do that here as well?

The Word has spoken :D

Part of my confusion is I'm currently unsure of when a thread would belong in that forum. I do get that people can't stop discussing wokeness and racism and maybe that's to be tossed in there (?), but what about a thread on school shootings or circumcision. Discussions on topics like that might occasionally hurt someone, but they could also be healthy and worthwhile. I'd be a little hesitant to throw them into the cesspool, if you know what I mean, and would prefer an environment where we can discuss whatever topic peacefully.

Do we want a forum for certain topics? Or should it be for certain behaviours? Because if it's topics, it might be a little hard to figure out where the line between this forum and other forums go in terms of appropriate topics.

It would be for topics that would be vulnerable to certain behaviors, like the wokeness thread for example. Sure, ultimately, it would be a judgement call, but some subjects are quite likely to spur overly spirited debate. I guess we would start there first.

The Word has spoken :D

maybe people could just quit being hypersensitive trigger warning babies

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 08, 2023, 02:25 AMmaybe people could just quit being hypersensitive trigger warning babies
Oh the irony. :laughing:

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Mar 08, 2023, 02:32 AM
Quote from: Dreams on Mar 08, 2023, 02:25 AMmaybe people could just quit being hypersensitive trigger warning babies
Oh the irony. :laughing:

youre like the little kid i had to teach ti stop snitching- every thread you cry about

and then you won't interact with me on the sun ra thread and so on

really you are the worst of your generation

you never had an original thought ever

i seriously legit dislike you