Hello, everyone! The other day I thought about how I'm almost always listening to music while doing the tasks in my daily routine. My partner works long hours and I do all the cooking, cleaning and other mundane household stuff, so naturally I have to have a soundtrack to keep me company while he is at work.

So I thought of this thread idea, and the question I pose is: What kind of music do you put on specifically to do tasks or activities to?

I've really been digging Emerald Web's Dragon Wings and Wizard Tales lately, and I've found it makes a great soundtrack to a nice peaceful morning, making coffee and breakfast, opening the blinds, etc. Really makes me feel like a Disney princess in an enchanted forest cottage.

I would love to hear what you all do, and what you listen to while doing it!

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Being very lazy these days in my listening habits, I usually ask our google assistant to play something like If you were Mine by Billie Holiday or I Loves You, Porgy by Nina Simone or perhaps St. James Infirmary Blues by Cab Calloway. Then I just enjoy the ensuing playlist which is randomly created to suit my tastes.

So I'm often not very specific with what I listen to. The initial track is just to start a playlist somewhere on the right track.. But as you can tell, American vocal jazz is often my jam if I just want background music to my chores :)

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 23, 2023, 03:15 PMBeing very lazy these days in my listening habits, I usually ask our google assistant to play something like If you were Mine by Billie Holiday or I Loves You, Porgy by Nina Simone or perhaps St. James Infirmary Blues by Cab Calloway. Then I just enjoy the ensuing playlist which is randomly created to suit my tastes.

So I'm often not very specific with what I listen to. The initial track is just to start a playlist somewhere on the right track.. But as you can tell, American vocal jazz is often my jam if I just want background music to my chores :)

Nice! I also love old vocal jazz, swing and big band and 1930s-50s jazz in general is my absolute jam. I also frequently listen to that kind of stuff in the evening when I'm making dinner.

I'm always going to be a bit of a control freak with my listening, I could never do randomly generated playlists. It's always either full albums or meticulously curated playlists of my own.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

If I'm listening to music while I'm working around home then it has to be something upbeat. Rock, funk, punk, classic R&B, etc. Sometimes I'll listen to albums, sometimes a playlist of my own, and sometimes I'll play a live video performance and ignore the video and just listen to the music.

#4 Feb 25, 2023, 10:18 PM Last Edit: Feb 25, 2023, 10:59 PM by fire
When I go to work, on the bus, just walking, doing art I usually listen to folk and sometimes pop.
My favourite top 5 music artists:

1) Sorten Muld
Bonden og Elverpigen

2) Hevia
El Garrotín

3) Julie Fowlis
Òganaich Ùir A Rinn M' Fhàgail

4) The Corrs
Runaway

5) Lúnasa
The Cullybacky Hop: Mike Hobin's / Emmet's Hedgehog / Dunrobin Castle

No specific genre but when I'm at home I sometimes like to put Los Angeles based radio stations on, and feel like I'm in LA and driving round the places like Hollywood, Venice Beach etc. There are bikini clad babes rollerskating, the sun is blazing and I might go and get some tacos.

One day I would like to do it for real.

Only God knows.

I hung out at Venice Beach back in 1997. It was a cool place.

The Word has spoken :D

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Feb 26, 2023, 12:05 AMI hung out at Venice Beach back in 1997. It was a cool place.

Were there many bikini clad babes in rollerskates?

Only God knows.

A few. Most of them wore shorts though.

The Word has spoken :D

#9 Feb 26, 2023, 05:54 PM Last Edit: Feb 26, 2023, 06:01 PM by Lisnaholic
Quote from: jimmy jazz on Feb 25, 2023, 11:12 PMNo specific genre but when I'm at home I sometimes like to put Los Angeles based radio stations on, and feel like I'm in LA and driving round the places like Hollywood, Venice Beach etc. There are bikini clad babes rollerskating, the sun is blazing and I might go and get some tacos.

:laughing: I thought this was a fun idea, Jimmy Jazz. I'm going to try it (sinister version) next time I listen to L.A.Woman

Quote from: fire on Feb 25, 2023, 10:18 PMWhen I go to work, on the bus, just walking, doing art I usually listen to folk and sometimes pop.
My favourite top 5 music artists:

You are very loyal to the Celtic style of folk music, fire, and I don't imagine there are many people in Israel listening to Lunasa! I like the way a lot of these songs are energizing without being to distracting. Shooglenifty, and Sharon Shannon are a couple of artists you might also enjoy, if you don't know them already:-

To get lost is to learn the way.