Yeah true. Maybe that's why we have to try to be more than just a music forum. We have a better chance - if any - of someone googling, let's say, writing contests and coming upon us, or history or vampires or serial killers and finding my journals, or ambient music and finding Mrs. Waffles's journal, than we do by just relying on music artist Googles. In reality, we'll probably end up just attracting the odd member and hope they stay, but in the end, as I said, we're not even crawling yet so there's time.

ALso: might be an idea to put a "Name that tune" thread up? A lot of potential new members seem to come to MB that way. Just an idea.

I'm genuinely curious.  Can you try googling any of the above topics and finding a link to this website? I dunno if the algorithm has changed over the years or message boards just aren't as popular so they don't show up but I used to use Google to find MB discussions from the past that I couldn't remember what thread it was and anecdotally I've just noticed that it seems damn near impossible to do so now where as before it was a lot easier.

I agree about not being a music forum though.  Just because I don't really care about music discussions and so if the website isn't billed as a music forum then nobody can try to shame me or others for only posting in the lounge and not participating in the music shit.  Which i used to hear on MB all the time back in the day. People who take so much pride in their taste in music honestly annoy the shit out of me.

#17 Mar 06, 2023, 09:01 AM Last Edit: Mar 06, 2023, 09:04 AM by Guybrush
Quote from: Jwb on Mar 06, 2023, 03:24 AMI'm genuinely curious.  Can you try googling any of the above topics and finding a link to this website? I dunno if the algorithm has changed over the years or message boards just aren't as popular so they don't show up but I used to use Google to find MB discussions from the past that I couldn't remember what thread it was and anecdotally I've just noticed that it seems damn near impossible to do so now where as before it was a lot easier.

Google has a system of google rankings that you may know about. It accumulates over years, so I think it improves even if you do nothing. If your site is full of trash, that could lower your rank and I think that was basically nr. 1 incentive why Advameg was protective of MB's google ranking and needed moderation. It meant more people would find the site through a google search and click an ad.

SCD has negligible google ranking so while Google does index our site and return it in searches, the searches have to be very specific. Unlike Advameg back in the day, I don't really worry about this.

Quote from: Jwb on Mar 06, 2023, 03:24 AMI agree about not being a music forum though.  Just because I don't really care about music discussions and so if the website isn't billed as a music forum then nobody can try to shame me or others for only posting in the lounge and not participating in the music shit.  Which i used to hear on MB all the time back in the day. People who take so much pride in their taste in music honestly annoy the shit out of me.

I'm almost as much of a film buff as I am a music buff, so this makes sense to me. Also on MB, the Lounge is actually the most popular forum, so I don't think they should shame people :laughing:

edit:

Quote from: Trollheart on Mar 06, 2023, 02:46 AMALso: might be an idea to put a "Name that tune" thread up? A lot of potential new members seem to come to MB that way. Just an idea.

It's weird isn't it? Might be worth considering.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Mar 04, 2023, 01:51 AMdude - it takes time

Five months in now and we still haven't recruited any non MB people to our cult.

Only God knows.

Quote from: jimmy jazz on Apr 23, 2023, 12:52 AMFive months in now and we still haven't recruited any non MB people to our cult.

but we got the good from mb not the losers

and the conversation is moving along fine

and the mods aren't trolls

no incel lionseals

this place is damn near paradise

the only thing i don't like is people on here that still use music cancer

i don't respect that one bit no sir

Quote from: Toy Revolver on Apr 23, 2023, 02:24 AMbut we got the good from mb not the losers

I'm pleased you consider me to be one of the good ones bro <3

Only God knows.

I agree that this place is great! I much prefer it to MB (where I no longer post). I feel like some of the teething troubles have kinda calmed down. Activity's good. It's so nice to be able to try things out and change things around, like The Abyss. Even if it fails, so what? We just change it again.

Recruitment was predicted to be a big problem and remains so. I'm considering trying to pull in som RL friends.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Qwerty might be coming.

Only God knows.

I'll try to do my part.

A lot of my IRL friends have never used forums before, but it's worth a shot. My fiance is more of a Youtube/Tik Tok junkie rather than a discussion kinda guy, so I understand and respect that he does not wish to join us on here.

But I do hang with a lot of very online friends I could pass the link to.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I invited ISB, who I'm glad to see took up the offer. I've also invited Key. He had said no earlier, but I'm pointing out how dead MB is now and considering all the writing he does, that he would get more appreciation and feedback and interaction here. Guess we'll see. Both were asked via PM so nobody can accuse us of poaching, or at least prove it. Not that I think anyone cares over there now.

Quote from: Trollheart on Apr 29, 2023, 01:14 PMI invited ISB, who I'm glad to see took up the offer. I've also invited Key. He had said no earlier, but I'm pointing out how dead MB is now and considering all the writing he does, that he would get more appreciation and feedback and interaction here. Guess we'll see. Both were asked via PM so nobody can accuse us of poaching, or at least prove it. Not that I think anyone cares over there now.

Just make sure you don't admit it on the new forum or anything.

I'll poke Qwerty later or tomorrow.

Only God knows.

Maybe makes sense to make this discussion members only then

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Quote from: jadis on Apr 29, 2023, 09:44 PMMaybe makes sense to make this discussion members only then

You can only prove we poached them after we've poached you - I like it

Nah I don't give a toss. They're annoying me and anyway, there's no law against it. Anyone sign an NDA while over there? Me neither.

I'm toying with the idea of bringing the Album Club over here. Almost everyone who's in it is here anyway, and I'm not completely severing ties with them but I see this as one of the few reasons for me to keep going over there. If it was here, maybe I would have less reason to even bother. I don't know: what do you think? We could also maybe get new members from here.