R.E.M. - Oddfellows Local 151

Funkadelic - Maggot Brain

Just thinking about Twin Peaks in the film section of the message board and Im reminded of Julee Cruise's "Falling" which is a really nice song and one I haven't heard in a very long time.

Julee Cruise - Falling

Carl Sagan - 'A Glorious Dawn' ft Stephen Hawking (Symphony of Science)

Grabbed this on wax as soon as it was announced.

(I'm like this all the time.)

I'm sure I've posted this elsewhere too, but some days ago I talked to the father of one of my daughter's friend and we got to talking about music.

We had a lot in common and also a love for this song by Nina Simone 🙂 it's by far my favorite by her. His too, it turns out.

So beautiful and hauntingly sad. It's the best song recording that ever came from Porgy and Bess that I know of.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Meatwad on Sep 15, 2023, 03:13 PMI love Electric Youth because its great to know that if someone asks for a song that distills everything down into one song that represents the 80's, then there is a go to resource. :laughing:

Debbie Gibson - Electric Youth

OMG. I had this stuck in my head for the whole last day of our holiday in Bruges. It drove me crazy in a kinda good way.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

Who doesn't love a bit of King Crimson fronted by Adrian Belew? 🙂 This might be them at their catchiest.

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 27, 2024, 12:41 AMWho doesn't love a bit of King Crimson fronted by Adrian Belew? 🙂 This might be them at their catchiest.

There is something a little lame about the chorus that always bugged me. I still like that song and I'm obviously a huge KC fanboy. If we're talking catchy though, I'd say 80s KC is where it's at.

Thanks for sharing Dinosaur, which I hadn't heard before. :thumb:

I liked the surprise of how the song comes back, and of course the AB guitar throughout. I think that grindy has a point though: "I'm a dinosaur, somebody is digging my bones" is a line that doesn't seem worthy of the repetition it gets here.
Also I love Fripp's "guitar as chain saw" sound, but here we only get about 2 seconds of it, right at the very end. :( If anyone wants a bit more:-

Here's a song I love. It's short and simple, but I love it for Alynda Segarra's voice, and the way that she talks about "my Jesus", which no-one in England would dream of saying, plus as well "she are" which makes me want to throw my Grammar Police badge out the window.

To get lost is to learn the way.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jan 27, 2024, 03:16 PMThanks for sharing Dinosaur, which I hadn't heard before. :thumb:

I liked the surprise of how the song comes back, and of course the AB guitar throughout. I think that grindy has a point though: "I'm a dinosaur, somebody is digging my bones" is a line that doesn't seem worthy of the repetition it gets here.
Also I love Fripp's "guitar as chain saw" sound, but here we only get about 2 seconds of it, right at the very end. :( If anyone wants a bit more:-

Here's a song I love. It's short and simple, but I love it for Alynda Segarra's voice, and the way that she talks about "my Jesus", which no-one in England would dream of saying, plus as well "she are" which makes me want to throw my Grammar Police badge out the window.

I think you nailed it. I thought it's the melody but indeed, if they had some second sentence nicely rhyming with the first, instead of just repeating it, I'd enjoy it much more.

I'll agree the "somebody is digging my bones" isn't particularly good, unless it's so clever I don't get it. I still love the song, though.. and it's fun to play on guitar 🙂

Today, I was reminded of this lovely classic from the underrated London Wainwright III.

I love swimming and a typical pastime in the summer is taking the car to go for a dip someplace. This is the perfect soundtrack to that.

The song was also covered by the Earl Scruggs Revue and Loudon sang on that version as well.

It's a little faster and more lively, but I somehow prefer the original.