Since I saw Peter Gabriel's 1993 Secret World concert on Amazon, I've been bingeing his music a bit more. I'm well versed in his hit songs, not so much the deep cuts (yet).

Anyways, we also discussed him slightly in another thread (controversial music opinions) where I stated that I like PG a lot more as a solo artist than I did as Genesis' frontman. For one thing, I absolutely love Solsbury Hill (to be fair - who doesn't?):

And I think it's interesting how - after leaving Genesis - he makes his first single and it's already better than anything Genesis ever did ;)

It's beautiful, got an interesting time going yet is kinda simple. It feels original, yet is very catchy. It's a song not many artists could make.

I currently feel like the culmination of him as an artist may be better expressed by his similarly lovable In Your Eyes, which is another song I love. And who doesn't love Sledgehammer? Etc.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Definitely check out his third and fourth albums (Melt and Security), those are wall to wall great, especially the latter which is really unique sounding and ahead of its time with digital synths and sampling.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I know So and have heard Melt, but not Security! I think Shock the Monkey is from there?

Thanks for the recommendation :) will check it out

Quote from: Guybrush on May 12, 2023, 03:15 PMI know So and have heard Melt, but not Security! I think Shock the Monkey is from there?

Thanks for the recommendation :) will check it out

Yeah, it's on that album. My favorites from Security are The Rhythm of the Heat and Lay Your Hands on Me, both really engrossing slow burners.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on May 12, 2023, 03:22 PMMy favorites from Security are The Rhythm of the Heat and Lay Your Hands on Me, both really engrossing slow burners.

Those are my favorites of his as well! A few years ago I walked into my local record store and bought original pressings of Genesis and Gabriel's complete discographies all in one swoop after hearing Security. And I later secured a library of all 92 Peter Gabriel albums issued between 1977 and 2010 organized into a folder structure of Studio Albums, Compilations, Live LPs, Singles, and Remastered Editions. But I haven't put much of a dent into them as the scale is a bit daunting.

I really enjoyed the slow-burners you mentioned, and the tribal ambient worldbeat elements Passion and Birdy grabbed me sufficiently to track down original pressings of those as well. I suppose I should tackle his catalogue chronologically beginning with 1-4 again from start to finish and then onto his expanded discography to develop a greater appreciation of his work. Thanks for inspiring the journey!

I will share a favorite live track, as you mentioned "Lay Your Hands On Me" - here it is from Live In Athens 1987 which was issued on Blu-ray in 2013 and as a double-LP in 2020.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Going back to Talking Heads, this has always been a favorite of mine.

The Word has spoken :D

#21 Aug 18, 2023, 12:35 AM Last Edit: Aug 18, 2023, 08:15 PM by Guybrush
^Who doesn't love Once in a Lifetime? It's a great song and the funniest dance committed to celluloid 🙂

My favorite song by Talking Heads - and I love it dearly - is Naive Melody (This Must Be The Place):

Edit:

Hah, I already posted that on page 1 😅

Oh well, I also love Don't Worry About the Government and the live version from American Utopia - which is prefaced by I Know Sometimes A Man Is Wrong - has become my favorite version of the song ❤️

Everything these guys do is brilliant, but I just love how dynamic they are on this in particular.

This is my favorite 80's song.

"She paints, she reads, she lights things on fire."

My favorite 80s pop song, besides the ones already mentioned, might be this one :)

Everything about it is great. Except the video.

Our boy's name is Gustav and there are a few reasons why we settled on that name. One of them is this relatively unknown, Norwegian song:

One of my favorite 80s pop bangers. The synth bassline of the gods.

Madonna has some great songs 🙂

Not sure how it ranks with synth freaks, but I always liked that hook with the chords from Live To Tell.

Everything that's great about post punk. Minimalism, wit, atmosphere, originality

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

The original is great, but I'll always love this remix of 'Seek Bromance' better. One of the tracks that properly got me into house music:

RIP Avicii