Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 29, 2023, 10:23 PMIIRC she doesn't but I think her family from the Philippines has more of a taste for it.

Would you try it if given the chance? I wanna say I would, but I feel like, as soon as I see it in front of me, I'd 'chicken' out.

Quote from: SGR on Aug 29, 2023, 10:29 PMWould you try it if given the chance? I wanna say I would, but I feel like, as soon as I see it in front of me, I'd 'chicken' out.

Same I think. I might be able to do it if I had my eyes closed the entire time.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

#137 Aug 29, 2023, 10:57 PM Last Edit: Aug 29, 2023, 11:02 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: SGR on Aug 29, 2023, 09:59 PMAny of the strange Europeans here tried or heard of people that have tried casu martzu, the Italian maggot cheese?

I'd love to try it. I mentioned it in this thread some pages back, I believe 🙂

Would like to try the embryo eggs too.

Quote from: jadis on Aug 29, 2023, 08:28 PMDamn

Rakfisk is one of our traditional dishes and very popular around Christmas, like he says.

You don't really get a good impression of it here. It does smell pretty strong and the taste is fairly intense, but we eat it in a wrap with sour cream, red onions, swede and carrot mash, pickled beets. You'd probably like it 🙂

I'll share some pictures next time we have it.

Today we bought a lutefisk which is a large cod that has been bleached and slightly jellied in lye. It's even better than the rakfisk 🥰

Edit:

By the way, people have died from getting botulism from eating rakfisk, so I'd be just a tiny bit hesitant to eating the stuff made by these guys 😅 like that big hairy hat. Won't he get hairs in there? Goddamn savages. Hair nets, gloves and white suits, if you please.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Aug 29, 2023, 10:57 PMI'd love to try it. I mentioned it in this thread some pages back, I believe 🙂

Would like to try the embryo eggs too.

Rakfisk is one of our traditional dishes and very popular around Christmas, like he says.

You don't really get a good impression of it here. It does smell pretty strong and the taste is fairly intense, but we eat it in a wrap with sour cream, red onions, swede and carrot mash, pickled beets. You'd probably like it 🙂

I'll share some pictures next time we have it.

Today we bought a lutefisk which is a large cod that has been bleached and slightly jellied in lye. It's even better than the rakfisk 🥰

Edit:

By the way, people have died from getting botulism from eating rakfisk, so I'd be just a tiny bit hesitant to eating the stuff made by these guys 😅 like that big hairy hat. Won't he get hairs in there? Goddamn savages. Hair nets, gloves and white suits, if you please.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I've had lutefisk before, around 20 years ago at some family friends' place. I remember it having an interesting gooey texture. I'd definitely try it again.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Aug 29, 2023, 11:24 PMI've had lutefisk before, around 20 years ago at some family friends' place. I remember it having an interesting gooey texture. I'd definitely try it again.

Cool! I think it seems gross to people before they try it and that's understandable, maybe. But the flavour is mild, so good and the texture is wonderful. I think most who try it will like it. It's one of my favorite traditional Norwegian foods for sure.

We eat it with mashed peas, potatoes, mustard, some mysterious white sauce and sprinkles of finely cut and crispy fried bacon.

I had this for my cheat meal last week:

A new pizza place opened near me. It is a wood fired pizzeria. It's not expensive either so thought I'd try it and it was absolutely superb. I just had margherita with basil.

Maybe an unpopular food opinion but I don't think pizza should be loaded with toppings.

Only God knows.

yeah the less amount of toppings the better imo.

My partner on the other hand loves to have a shit ton of toppings. Mostly meat lovers but she will do like 4 to 5 toppings if she doesn't get meat lovers. it's crazy.

I was this cool the whole time.

Ooh, that looks delightfully gooey and it's making me want some.

I've had pizza maybe twice in the past year. I like a load of toppings but I also appreciate the simple ones. I really like buffalo chicken and ranch pizzas.

Norway is just mountains, seaside and lakes, so of course it's salmon country. Our favorite way to eat salmon is sushi bowls. I picked up a sashimi quality salmon loin on the way home from work. It's a little expensive (though hopefully less so here than where you are as it's local food) but it's so delicious.

It's served raw, though marinated, in a bowl with rice, edamame beans, fresh coriander, sesame seeds, maybe carrot shavings, a bit of cucumber, some sesame seeds, lots of chili mayo, etc.

It's delicious and I always end up overeating when we have it.

This isn't my picture, but it's kinda like this:

Only the salmon looks cooked here. My wife calls it pokébowls, but that sounds like a more stupid word for it.

Yeah Poké Bowls is the technical name for it. It's a big time in Hawaii that has made it's way to the continental US.

I would much prefer my salmon to be cooked. I'm not into raw fish. The only raw fish I consume is probably tuna but nothing else. I also don't like sushi.

Just had a bowl of Amy's tomato bisque with a dollop of sour cream, with half a grilled cheddar cheese on nutty bread.  I really think this is the best canned soup on the market - taste homemade.

idk anything Amy's just puts me off. You should have heard the audible groan I just made when looking at that picture.  :laughing:

:laughing:  Actually I don't like anything else by Amy's.  Even their other soups I don't care for.  I just love the chunky tomato bisque!

The only tinned soup we buy is this one:

Peas, pork and.. flesk is like meat that's very fatty.

It's a yellow, dense pea soup with lots of pork. Tins are like 8 dollars or so, but it's also very good and quite filling 🙂