^ Yes, "Passenger" is perfect for the train!  By the way, I haven't heard much music from those Japanese masters either; but reading about Donny being influenced by them makes me want to seek out more of their work.  I also read that Donny is a Lou Reed fan (I believe he said he likes Lou's conversational singing style - if you can call it singing!) 8)

Mrs. Waffles, Guybrush and Key are surely the resident keyboard experts here; the only keyboard I still have is a cheap Yamaha digital keyboard, I'm afraid. 

Ooh, Le Don is revving my engine in that pic. :D   If you do change your avatar, I'll miss that bright blue sky (it sort of lifts my mood when I see it! Yes I have *attachment* issues with your avatar, so you can't change it (j/k)).

Actually, I saw a few videos of Donny being interviewed/talking, and he seems like a really sweet person, kind of shy actually.  I like him.   

I have never heard of the Mizell Brothers - *Googles frantically*    ;)

I saw the Lex-Signal in the sky, I'm here to help!

I'm not familiar with Yoshio Suzuki, but I love the other two artists @ribbons mentioned. Hiroshi Yoshimura was an excellent ambient/new age artist with a number of great records to his name, generally quite gentle and pastoral stuff. His most popular album is 1986's Green, which got a lot of exposure through the Youtube algorithm several years ago. My personal favorite is Wet Land from 1993, both lovely pieces of calming, organic ambient music. Very impressive that he managed to coax such lively sounds out of the DX7, a synthesizer I generally know for its colder, more metallic tones.

And Ryuichi Sakamoto was a member of the legendary synthpop/electro group Yellow Magic Orchestra, who put out some very cutting edge synthesizer music in the late 70s (their album Solid State Survivor from '79 should be your first port of call). He also has an extensive solo career, which includes the well-known theme from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. I'm not as well versed in his solo albums but his 1990 foray into new age, The Fantasy of Light and Life, is a good album and close in style to the aforementioned Yoshimura.

And @Saulaac , if you ever need advice on buying a synthesizer, you know who to call. :)

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I had hoped you'd respond to my Lex-Signal! :D

With Yoshimura, I've only heard Green (which I understand was influenced by Brian Eno's Another Green World, which I love).  I have never heard Wet Land, so that's going on my listening list now. Thank you!  Yes, the DX7 is kind of squeaky and Yoshimura managed to glean warmer sounds out of it.

I've heard a bit of Yellow Magic Orchestra, but not much.  Also duly noted! 

#93 Nov 17, 2023, 09:42 PM Last Edit: Nov 17, 2023, 10:35 PM by Saulaac Reason: Added Gary Bartz
Larry and Fonce Mizell, behind-the-scene producers who added their magic touch to many well known jazz, RnB and Soul musicians in the 70s. Larry is still with us, but Fonce sadly passed away in 2011.

Skratch Bastid gives a great rundown on their discography. (I remember DJChameleon mentioned Skratch Bastid recently in the Hip-Hop thread).

Some great collaborations are the Mizell Bros with Johnny Hammond (Gears, Forever Taurus), Bobbi Humphrey (New York Times), Donald Byrd (You And The Music) and of course Gary Bartz. It is pure jazz funk with amazing soaring vocals which Larry and Fonce often sang themselves. They often worked with Fred Perren and Wade Marcus too which produced a phenonemal collective sound which I semi-jokingly wrote about recently which summons the spirits for anyone who listens to it long enough!

Also a great concert at Montreux 1973, with other great musicians like Harvey Mason on drums (I became hooked on Harvey's open/closed high-hat on the 4th beat from a young age which I think led to my love of all things instrumental/disco):

^ Thanks so much @Saulaac - I'll definitely check those out!  Your enthusiasm is always infectious - I am still (yes, still) hooked on that Modern Sound Quartet Cocktail-Bar album you recommended and play it all the time at home.

@Mrs. Waffles, you should play "Maraschino" at your Christmas party for the Shirley Temples! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saATS7xpF0s

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Nov 17, 2023, 09:13 PMI saw the Lex-Signal in the sky, I'm here to help!

I'm not familiar with Yoshio Suzuki, but I love the other two artists @ribbons mentioned. Hiroshi Yoshimura was an excellent ambient/new age artist with a number of great records to his name, generally quite gentle and pastoral stuff. His most popular album is 1986's Green, which got a lot of exposure through the Youtube algorithm several years ago. My personal favorite is Wet Land from 1993, both lovely pieces of calming, organic ambient music. Very impressive that he managed to coax such lively sounds out of the DX7, a synthesizer I generally know for its colder, more metallic tones.

And Ryuichi Sakamoto was a member of the legendary synthpop/electro group Yellow Magic Orchestra, who put out some very cutting edge synthesizer music in the late 70s (their album Solid State Survivor from '79 should be your first port of call). He also has an extensive solo career, which includes the well-known theme from Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence. I'm not as well versed in his solo albums but his 1990 foray into new age, The Fantasy of Light and Life, is a good album and close in style to the aforementioned Yoshimura.

And @Saulaac , if you ever need advice on buying a synthesizer, you know who to call. :)

Thanks @Mrs. Waffles, will do! At the moment we are making do with a beginner electronic keyboard to play along with my son's drumming lessons, but I'd like to get an upgrade someday to magnify those sus chords :)

And @ribbons Modern Sound Quartet, way to go! Thinking back at Chartreuse, I stumbled on a recent Kamaal Williams track, and immediately recognised the Chartreuse influence. It's good to see that it was experimented upon. 

Quote from: Saulaac on Nov 17, 2023, 10:46 PMmy son's drumming lessons

Adorable :love: and great you are giving him formal lessons. We have an electronic drum kit here but just play recreationally; the last thing my son and I tried to learn together was Can's "Vitamin C".  A very difficult groove (at least for us).

QuoteAnd @ribbons Modern Sound Quartet, way to go! Thinking back at Chartreuse, I stumbled on a recent Kamaal Williams track, and immediately recognised the Chartreuse influence. It's good to see that it was experimented upon. 

So cool - I can definitely hear "Chartreuse" in there!  Did Kamaal ever claim direct influence from Cocktail-Bar, or is it coincidental?  Either way, that's really *suttn*

Quote from: ribbons on Nov 18, 2023, 02:50 PMAdorable :love: and great you are giving him formal lessons. We have an electronic drum kit here but just play recreationally; the last thing my son and I tried to learn together was Can's "Vitamin C".  A very difficult groove (at least for us).

We'll try and post in the "Play (or sing) *suttn*!" thread, however I've first got to acquire a bass amp and then try to put together a basic tune so  we're several weeks away from actually being ready to post anything.

Quote from: ribbons on Nov 18, 2023, 02:50 PMSo cool - I can definitely hear "Chartreuse" in there! Did Kamaal ever claim direct influence from Cocktail-Bar, or is it coincidental?  Either way, that's really *suttn*

I don't think he mentioned Chartreuse or Cocktail-Bar anywhere. I looked but I couldn't find anttn. Nuttn. 

Moon Safari are my favorite of all the newer generation prog bands, and the fact a new album is finally coming out from them after 10 years has got me pumped. Swedes sure love to take their time!

The Jelly Bean Bandits - The Jelly Bean Bandits (1967)

A recent re-release of a debut album from a 60's rock/pop group from Newburgh, New York. Some garage rock, some pop rock, some psychedelic rock, and a novelty type of tune which sounds a bit out of place in comparison to the rest of the album but isn't awful. A good debut which deserved more attention back in the day but quickly disappeared into obscurity.

:3.5stars:

Radian - Distorted Rooms

I've been waiting for a new album since the last one, which I was lucky enough to see performed live and it blew my fucking mind. Now, seven years later, the successor is finally here.
Radian are kind of hard to describe. They're a guitar/bass/drums trio but their music is more akin to electronica. Weird, yet groovy minimalist beats accompanied by noises and glitches, bursts of unidentifiable sounds appearing and dissolving, yet somehow it's all very concise, listenable, fun and often beautiful. Not even done listening but I'm already loving the new one as much as the best of their older stuff.

https://radian.bandcamp.com/album/distorted-rooms

River of Noise
by Niilas

Released November 2023
Discovered it last month (December).
I really liked track number 7, Broth (feat. Benedicte Maurseth), this was my favorite from the album.
But overall the album was enjoyable, listened on repeat for about three weeks almost a month.

#102 Jan 04, 2024, 11:43 AM Last Edit: Jan 04, 2024, 12:00 PM by YourGirlfriendsSidePiece

Xiu Xiu - Ignore Grief (March 3, 2023)

Some wonderful and haunting Industrial from Xiu Xiu last year. Nightmare fuel at it's finest.

Bandcamp Stream

Just before we get to 2024, I liked Mike Lindup's album "Changes 2" from 2023. That's right, Mike Lindup from Level 42!

In particular, 'World Is Ready' has Mark King on bass, as well as those familiar vocals and synth riffs which take you right back to their heyday.

Mike Lindup - "World Is Ready"