#61 Feb 28, 2023, 04:59 AM Last Edit: Feb 28, 2023, 05:10 AM by Lady of Synth
Quote from: Dreams on Feb 28, 2023, 04:56 AMthis isn't a challenge as in i don't believe you but do you have a link to any feminist theorist saying these things?

No, not really. I'm no feminist scholar, just someone who calls out hateful and discriminatory rhetoric when she sees it.

Ultimately I don't think you can consider anyone an authority when it comes to feminism, every feminist interprets things differently, heck I'm sure there are plenty of people who think I'm not a feminist at all.

Honestly I'm just exhausted from the discourse.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I'll say this about future POTUS Ronnie DeSantis - he's got a few levels to climb before he's as fascist as Stanford University.  :laughing:

politics aside i know you have good taste in music so it surprises me you're not put off by how aesthetically unappealing that video is

i actually agree that stanford deserves to be ridiculed but do it with some style

and don't be so cavalier about desantis- i like you too much to even see that as sincere

that's one reason i wanted the woke thread put down - i felt bad about something you said

i know people on here have similar feelings about me ... well maybe idk - but come on dude keep the plot (for us 💕)

I can't speak for other people but to be fair, even though I think your thinking is often very oversimplistic and I often strongly disagree with you, my feelings about Anteater/Nimbly's opnions and thinking are very different

Nimbly's opinions read like those of someone who has the privilege to be out of touch and think politics is just fun and games, nothing to be taken too seriously or anything. Feels like he just wants to grill, you know?

Even if he's just being an edgy contrarian, his "takes" come off as quite callous and dismissive of the living breathing people that Desantis and his ilk have targeted and attacked.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Mar 04, 2023, 11:50 PMNimbly's opinions read like those of someone who has the privilege to be out of touch and think politics is just fun and games, nothing to be taken too seriously or anything. Feels like he just wants to grill, you know?

Even if he's just being an edgy contrarian, his "takes" come off as quite callous and dismissive of the living breathing people that Desantis and his ilk have targeted and attacked.

The point is that fascism is clearly overrated if universities can literally ban words and nobody does anything about it. I remember when school districts took Harry Potter out of some libraries in a few different states.  And what did the kids and their parents do? They bought the books somewhere else.  Problem solved.

The bizarre thing to me is that there are still kids who even go to the library to read at all. Every major study I've read over the past couple years shows that kids in these age groups aren't even reading for fun or checking out books to begin with. If DeSantis thinks the libraries are where kids are learning "woke" stuff, he's sorely out of touch with reality.  Maybe teach the kids how to actually appreciate books first before you embark on holy crusades against books with 3rd graders giving head to older men or w/e it was that set the parents off at those school board meetings.

DeSantis may have ultimately made the right moves in Florida on lockdowns and a few other things, but I don't think using state power in a vague and pointless way is the answer if you want to have nuanced conversations about sex education in the classrooms. I think it's going to blow back on him.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 04, 2023, 10:03 PMpolitics aside i know you have good taste in music so it surprises me you're not put off by how aesthetically unappealing that video is

i actually agree that stanford deserves to be ridiculed but do it with some style

and don't be so cavalier about desantis- i like you too much to even see that as sincere

that's one reason i wanted the woke thread put down - i felt bad about something you said

i know people on here have similar feelings about me ... well maybe idk - but come on dude keep the plot (for us 💕)

Aesthetics aren't the point. Mullen is a smart guy who knows what he's doing.  He's irreverent but gets to meat of things via the real world equivalent of silly side questing.  He's essentially done the same thing at conservative universities as well.

I'm always curious and enjoy political discussion. That's it.  If that comes off as callous, then so be it.  At the end of the day, it isn't like anyone can take responsibility for this stuff anyway.  Whether they're a Christian nutjob who misses the point of their own religion or a trans dude on TikTok berating cisgender people to "date me or else", conflict is just a given when you have so many different groups all believing they should be the ones with the power in society, with an underlying and often times misguided assumption (whether you admit it or not) that such power will come at the expense of every other group (however you define that) in some form or fashion.  That's the core assumption humanity is going to have to find a way to get past.

dude - that list has been revoked and it was never policy to police words officially - it was really just a list of ways to think about the etymology of language for people who want to be more aware

i do think the left is responsible for hindering the free exchange of ideas especially on west coast and north east campuses and that's problematic

it's not fascist though

if you don't want or refuse to see what desantis is doing is a calculated step by step attack on lgbt and how frighteningly different that is - i just don't get how

synth is telling you she's being targeted

if you don't have her back that is so weak

i object to encroachments on academic freedom from any political camp but when actual government legislation is being passed to target lgbt that's an entirely different issue - it's our moral duty to stand with lgbt - i know my commitment to free speech including hate speech is alienating to some members of disenfranchised communities but i'm a free speech absolutist and for good reason

but targeted legislation against a certain group - that's gun loading time

QuoteMullen is a smart guy who knows what he's doing

that video sucks

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:10 AMdude - that list has been revoked and it was never policy to police words officially - it was really just a list of ways to think about the etymology of language for people who want to be more aware

i do think the left is responsible for hindering the free exchange of ideas especially on west coast and north east campuses and that's problematic

it's not fascist though

if you don't want or refuse to see what desantis is doing is a calculated step by step attack on lgbt and how frighteningly different that is - i just don't get how

synth is telling you she's being targeted

if you don't have her back that is so weak

i object to encroachments on academic freedom from any political camp but when actual government legislation is being passed to target lgbt that's an entirely different issue - it's our moral duty to stand with lgbt - i know my commitment to free speech including hate speech is alienating to some members of disenfranchised communities but i'm a free speech absolutist and for good reason

but targeted legislation against a certain group - that's gun loading time

I'm curious now, since so much is going on. Can you point to a specific bill that is currently preventing trans people from buying a car or drinking from the same water fountain or getting a bank loan? Major stuff that isn't protected by the federal government already.  You know, something that doesn't involve the contentious "men competing in women's sports" topic? I've scoured quite a few bills and I'm coming up a bit empty on LGBT legislation that is outside that particular purview or something limited to public schools. Or maybe Synth knows of something specific.  If there is, I'd like to know more about it.

Also, what do you mean you mean when you say your a free speech absolutist in regards to hate speech?

https://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/tennessee-ban-drag-show-performances-governor/index.html

QuoteThe bill, which the Tennessee House passed last week, defines an adult cabaret performance as a performance "that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers."

a man wearing a suit can read to a children but a man wearing a dress cannot

#71 Mar 05, 2023, 04:40 AM Last Edit: Mar 05, 2023, 04:43 AM by Lady of Synth
Yep. Trump also said that if he is re-elected, he will ban trans healthcare for all people of all ages. I can only assume Desantis has similar plans.

And Tennessee is also forcibly detransitioning minors.

The "gender impersonators" thing is so frightening in how it could be used against people, not just trans people, who dare not conform to some ancient court's gender stereotypes.

Quote from: Dreams on Mar 05, 2023, 04:38 AMhttps://www.cnn.com/2023/03/02/politics/tennessee-ban-drag-show-performances-governor/index.html

QuoteThe bill, which the Tennessee House passed last week, defines an adult cabaret performance as a performance "that features topless dancers, go-go dancers, exotic dancers, strippers, male or female impersonators who provide entertainment that appeals to a prurient interest, or similar entertainers."

a man wearing a suit can read to a children but a man wearing a dress cannot

Why would anyone take their kid somewhere where a topless stripper is reading books?

https://www.thedailybeast.com/and-tango-makes-three-florida-school-district-bans-a-book-on-penguins

Quote"The fascination is still on that it's two male penguins raising a chick," board member David Williams said ahead of the vote. "So, I'll be voting to remove the book from our libraries."

they have removed it from the library

i don't think they have removed any books on the grounds that it a heterosexual couple was raising a child

if you don't see these as red flags you're blind

the message being sent is loud and clear - they're saying it's ok to discriminate against lgbt

plus desantis passing legislation to financially punish disney for opposing the don't say gay bill

sorry if that doesn't look exactly like jim crow era racism - it's different but the intentions are the same - humilate instill fear and dehumanize