I think it boils down to religious belief. America was founded essentially to escape religious persecution in England. In other words they we're denied the right to impose their beliefs on the unwilling others. So, now they're here to try to impose their will on the rest of Americans even though we like to claim we're a secular society.

The Word has spoken :D

It must also be down to the prevalent attitude during the say 14th to 19th century across Europe, that the white man (and I use the gender deliberately) was the apex of humanity, and all else were to worship at his feet. If you didn't believe this implicitly, how could you countenance the enslavement of other human beings on the basis of their skin colour? And as you say, religion too: if you don't worship our god then you're fair game. And I don't think that belligerent attitude has ever really gone away. Even outside of the southern states, black people, Chinese/Asian people and others are not really accepted as being part of American society. As I pointed out in my History of America journal, these idiots like to call themselves "pure" Americans, that they were here first. But unless they're from a Native American tribe, they're just colonists like the rest of them.

There will always be people who want things to return to "the good old days" and would be more than happy to see separate washrooms, places at the back of buses for certain people, and would have no problem, unfortunately, as Hawk says, with "camps" being set up to "accommodate" the "undesirables". The problem with America going full Nazi is they have the firepower to back up a worldwide agenda, though you'd have to wonder where China would be on that. The good news, of course, is that once those two butt heads it's all over, so at least if there was to be another holocaust, it wouldn't last long enough for anyone to liberate the camps.

Unless they were zombies.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 18, 2023, 08:14 PMI don't understand this side of American politics at all. Like I don't understand why they promote these policies or where they come from or what makes them so appealing to many people.

tribalism and capitalism and population size and a lot of unhealthy social constructs

india and brazil have a lot similarities and comparable ugliness

QuoteI was interested to read about you and your neighbours, NSOH, how you need a balance to interact with them on both sides. That's very different from my own experience, which, English style, is to have nothing to do with neighbours except a superficially polite nod, then keep walking!

owning a house in this neighborhood kind of forces your hand - like one of the neighbors got it in his head that i had called code enforcement and i definitely didn't and never would but he just went off using a lot of profanity and wouldn't let me talk - he just had that i'm not afraid of being arrested vibe that's really delicate - you can't act scared or aggressive- i just said sir we can discuss this when you settle down but it wasn't me that called code enforcement-

the next time i saw him i didn't bring it up but i made a point to talk to him - just bs southern jawing - once i got him laughing i knew it was cool

i know i probably represent higher rent snd gentrification to the guy - once white people elbow in rent goes up - i'm sorry about that too - i wish i had a way not to be a part of that problem besides spending three times as much for the same house in a white neighborhood which i couldn't do and i'm not willing to do

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 17, 2023, 09:58 PMAOC might run  🤞

Much like Bernie, I doubt she'd ever be able to get the nomination.

The nomination was rigged against Bernie though. I agree that AOC has no chance at this point. She's being so demonized it isn't funny.

Quote from: Rubber Soul on Feb 19, 2023, 12:48 PMThe nomination was rigged against Bernie though. I agree that AOC has no chance at this point. She's being so demonized it isn't funny.

so was trump - the most ridiculous candidate probably ever and he won - if a black dude can do it and then an orange clown can do it, hell if a stuttering no-personality buffoon like biden can do it AOC can do it - i think what PF is saying is the dems will cheat AOC same as they did bernie like you pointed out- reagan and both bushes were more passionate to the poor than the dems as a whole are today - the plan to take harris or hillary because warren or aoc supposedly couldn't win is suicide- even if harris or hillary won the war on the poor soldiers on and the holocaust of homelessness continues

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 19, 2023, 01:01 PMi think what PF is saying is the dems will cheat AOC same as they did bernie like you pointed out

Yes, exactly.

Will AOC even be old enough to run in 2024? I know she was born the same year as me (and coincidentally has the same first name) and she will be 35 by election day, but I guess I'm just wondering if you can even run if you're not 35 yet.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

QuoteWill AOC even be old enough to run in 2024?

Yes.

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Feb 19, 2023, 02:22 PMWill AOC even be old enough to run in 2024? I know she was born the same year as me (and coincidentally has the same first name) and she will be 35 by election day, but I guess I'm just wondering if you can even run if you're not 35 yet.

Yes, she will be 35 in 2024.

I gotcha, thanks. I was just curious since she wouldn't technically turn 35 until October and there's still the primaries and such. I hope she runs personally, I think someone with a fire in their belly like her could really combat the right wing hysteria. Of course I could be completely wrong and it'll backfire spectacularly.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Feb 19, 2023, 03:09 PMI gotcha, thanks. I was just curious since she wouldn't technically turn 35 until October and there's still the primaries and such. I hope she runs personally, I think someone with a fire in their belly like her could really combat the right wing hysteria. Of course I could be completely wrong and it'll backfire spectacularly.

let it backfire then - the haters are going to hate either way - it's time the good guys started playing offense