Feb 09, 2023, 05:51 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2023, 05:54 PM by Guybrush
Hey there,

Burt Bacharach recently died at 94 years of age. I don't know the deep cuts on his albums, but I am familiar with many of his hits and generally find them melodically pleasant and with a sophistication in composition and arrangement that add that little extra and make them stand apart.

I wouldn't mind digging a little deeper into his body of work which I'm sure contains many hidden treasures.

So what are your favorite Bacharach songs?

I'll kick things off with what might be an obvious pick:

Happiness is a warm manatee

This is the first I've heard of his death. :(

This is what you want. This is what you get.

He and Hal David wrote a lot for Dionne Warwick but I guess my favorite would be I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself by Dusty Springfield. Of course, the White Stripes have a great version of this one as well.

The Word has spoken :D

#3 Feb 09, 2023, 06:08 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2023, 06:10 PM by Guybrush
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 09, 2023, 05:55 PMThis is the first I've heard of his death. :(

At least he made it to a ripe old age and left quite a legacy :)

I know his hits from the 60s and so on, but I'm realizing he may have continued composing well into much later decades as well.

Edit:

Of course I should've mentioned lyricist and songwriting partners Hal David as well who I assume must have passed before Burt himself.

Happiness is a warm manatee

I'm a huge Bacharach/David fan.  Their collaborations with Dionne Warwick (one of my favorite vocalists) are legendary.

Two of my favorites, but there are many more:

"Promises, Promises" - Some tricky metres and time signatures on this one.  Shows you what a gifted vocalist Warwick is to be able to keep up!  A very difficult song to sing.

"A House Is Not a Home" - My favorite version.  Mavis Staples wrings every bit of emotion and longing from this one.

I don't think I've ever compiled a top 10 list of all-time favorite songwriters but Burt Bacharach would definitely be on it if I did.
And I don't think I've ever compiled a top 10 list of all-time favorite lyricists but Hal David would definitely be on it if I did.
The two of them together were a phenomenal combination of top-notch musical & lyrical talent.

R.I.P. to a legend.

RIP

I Say a Little Prayer is one of the best somgs ever written.

#7 Feb 09, 2023, 11:22 PM Last Edit: Feb 09, 2023, 11:25 PM by Lisnaholic
Yep, between them, the trilogy of David/Bacharach/Warwick created some wonderful songs. Here's a favourite on mine, which should appeal to anyone who has ever wished they could be somewhere else instead:

@ Rubber Soul: yes, Dusty Springfield was one of not many singers in England who could do a comparably good version of a Bacharach/David song.
@ ribbons: Promises Promises is a new song for me. Thanks for posting it.

As for getting the max out of a Bacharach/David song, I think Isaac Hayes deserves plenty of credit, if not the prize (after Dionne Warwick of course):-

To get lost is to learn the way.

The Isaac Hayes version is easily my favorite.

That's good to hear, NSOH ! For a while I kept looking for Isaac Hayes or anyone to come up with an equal treatment to a 60s pop classic, but never really found anything as good.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Feb 10, 2023, 12:45 AMThat's good to hear, NSOH ! For a while I kept looking for Isaac Hayes or anyone to come up with an equal treatment to a 60s pop classic, but never really found anything as good.

it's a different but aretha franklin's bridge over troubled water is good one

i know it's not what you're looking for the reworking has similarities to my ears

I am familiar with more of his work than I realised.

RIP.

Only God knows.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 10, 2023, 01:20 AMit's a different but aretha franklin's bridge over troubled water is good one

i know it's not what you're looking for the reworking has similarities to my ears

That's a great recommendation, NSOH. Never heard it before but I just love the way she turns the S & G hit into what is effectively a different song. And yes, there's something similar to Isaac H; a kind of bold re-imagining that sounds like the 60s but isn't.

#13 Feb 10, 2023, 05:34 PM Last Edit: Feb 10, 2023, 05:41 PM by ribbons Reason: fixed quotation mark
Another favorite, this one perhaps a lesser known Bacharach/David composition - "April Fools" by Dionne.

This one's immortal.  Something even non-believers can believe in.