#30 Feb 07, 2023, 02:12 AM Last Edit: Feb 07, 2023, 02:17 AM by Janszoon
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 07, 2023, 01:36 AMwell it's rampant in america
It really isn't, but it seems like you have some kind of an emotional investment in believing in it for some reason.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 07, 2023, 02:12 AM
Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 07, 2023, 01:36 AMwell it's rampant in america
It really isn't, but it's seems like you have some kind of an emotional investment in believing in it for some reason.

do you think these things never happened or that it's acceptable

i don't get it

i know liberals like to believe their side is never wrong and perfect and all that and yeah i have an emotional investment against fascism- that's not really weird

the phenomenon of people never seeing anything wrong with their side is very weird however

I think if you want to find cases of, say, skateboard related homicides, you can. You can probably compile whole lists of them. Some of them may not really hold up under scrutiny, some may be only semi skateboard related, and some of them may be legit skateboard murders, but none of that adds up to skateboard murders being rampant in America. It mostly just raises the question of why are you so invested in trying to convince people that skateboard murders are rampant.

congratulations on not just making a false equivalency but literally the falsest equivalency ever

#34 Feb 07, 2023, 03:34 PM Last Edit: Feb 07, 2023, 03:38 PM by Guybrush
I get Jans' point that if you want to find evidence to support that this is rampant, you probably can. However, it doesn't mean it is.

Because this is apparently weirdly politicized in the US, of course some people will have very strong agendas for or against. That means you should be a little careful about where you read about it; who is reporting these things and are the accounts / events described actually factual. Some of them are probably genuine examples of PC/woke stuff taken too far while some of them are bound to be misrepresented and some may even be complete fabrications. And if it has caused problems in a few cases, it still doesn't mean it's rampant.

I don't wanna offend you fine American people, but there's definitely an edge or vibe to the way many of you discuss these and related things where stuff quickly get polarized, labeled and just very harsh / heated in general. The world and its people aren't necessarily as bad as your arguments make them out to be. However, there are strong forces / meme complexes out there that are working to hyper charge your opinions and weaponize you and your rhetoric against some side or some topic. I think that's worth being aware of regardless of what side of a politicized discussion you're on.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 07, 2023, 03:34 PMI don't wanna offend you fine American people, but there's definitely an edge or vibe to the way many of you discuss these and related things where stuff quickly get polarized, labeled and just very harsh / heated in general.
I'm not offended, and I broadly agree with you. However, and I mean no offense by this, I think living in a country that's not very racially or ethnically diverse may make it hard for you to understand the situation over here. For you, this is just an abstract topic that you can have a nice little debate about. For me, it's an inescapable part of life. The US has a long history of racism and also a long history of people trying to downplay and "bothsides" that racism. This is not some interesting bit of cultural history, this is something that has directly impacted my wife, her family, and our friends and neighbors.

a person's life was changed, definitely for the worse, for reading while attending Stanford

https://stanforddaily.com/2023/01/22/protected-identity-harm-report-filed-as-screenshot-of-student-reading-mein-kampf-circulates/

Quote"Swift action was taken by the leadership in the residential community where both the individuals who posted and the one pictured are members," Kirschner and Hahn Tapper wrote. Student Affairs and ORL are actively working with students involved to address the issue and mend relationships in the community.

"It can be upsetting to hear about incidents like this," Kirschner and Hahn Tapper wrote. "Jewish people belong at Stanford, and deserve to be respected by our peers."

a student was reading Mein Kampf and that was cause for Stanford to take action

that people cannot feel comfortable reading any book they want is a huge problem

that this rabbi feels she should be able to dictate to others what they can read is a problem

that anyone thinks reading anything is objectionable is a problem

i read mein kampf because 1) i was curious 2) it's important to understand primary documents

it's part of the "never forget" thing

evidence that it's rampant is embedded in the fact that the university thinks it's their business what books people read - that's insane

QuoteI think living in a country that's not very racially or ethnically diverse may make it hard for you to understand the situation over here. For you, this is just an abstract topic that you can have a nice little debate about.

Norway takes in a lot of immigrants. They're approaching being like 20% and because being Norwegian is much more easily defined than being American accepting a lot of immigrants is more disruptive to their culture. It's an American centrist thought process that makes Americans fail to realize that other places are also ethnically diverse. It's a kind of American exceptionalism. Americans still don't believe me when I tell them that India is more diverse.

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 07, 2023, 04:47 PMaccepting a lot of immigrants is more disruptive to their culture.

Please disrupt Norwegian culture. It is mostly polite, subdued and very boring. Cultures change all the time and I think that's generally how it should be.

While there are some challenges with immigration, I'm generally positive and welcome the diversity immigrants can bring. Myself and my family have been involved with immigrants in various ways and have many immigrant friends. These days, I am hopeful that we can help the poor victims of war in Ukraine and also take good care of those who come here from Ukraine as immigrants.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 07, 2023, 04:11 PMThe US has a long history of racism and also a long history of people trying to downplay and "bothsides" that racism. This is not some interesting bit of cultural history, this is something that has directly impacted my wife, her family, and our friends and neighbors.

It's a fair point. I'm definitely looking at these conflicts from the outside. While I can't truly understand the frustration of sitting in the middle of it, it honestly looks pretty rough, especially with the history and police brutality (esp. against black people), the rise of the political right wing, etc. I understand that it's not easy.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 07, 2023, 09:17 PMIt's a fair point. I'm definitely looking at these conflicts from the outside. While I can't truly understand the frustration of sitting in the middle of it, it honestly looks pretty rough, especially with the history and police brutality (esp. against black people), the rise of the political right wing, etc. I understand that it's not easy.
Thank you for your thoughtful reply.  :)

https://apnews.com/article/344670aba56c09e97b60df2469735bf8

QuoteAnchor Don Lemon will return to work Wednesday after he receives formal training for his comments about Republican presidential candidate Nikki Haley on "CNN This Morning," network CEO Chris Licht said in an email to employees Monday night.

brief little stint in the re-education camp for saying Nikki Haley is not in her prime because everyone knows that 51 is the prime of life and to say otherwise is ageist and sexist - that's why all the young fellows are looking for 51 year old women - gotta catch them in their prime

You'd think Don Lemon would appreciate a little lemon partying.

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 21, 2023, 11:31 AMYou'd think Don Lemon would appreciate a little lemon partying.

lol - watch out you'll get cancelled