Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:28 PMNo offense TH, but what on earth are you talking about?

he's talking about one group of people who think they should be able to dictate to other people what the can read or say

find me a copy of The Turner Diaries for example

as far as right wing talking points - left or right doesn't matter because they're both capitalists - frankly there is no left - there's just fascist a and fascist b

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:34 PM
Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 06, 2023, 08:30 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:15 PMCongratulations on posting your right wing reactionary talking points on this brand new forum. No doubt this will lead to wonderful things for this fledgling community.
it stayed civilised for longer than I feared it might actually, but here we are :/
For real. This kind of shit is why stopping posting much on MB.

it's so upsetting when everyone doesn't think like you do 😭

I was referring to people who only want to create drama.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:28 PMNo offense TH, but what on earth are you talking about?

I think it's pretty clear. I don't want someone telling me I can't read, say "Uncle Tom's Cabin" or whatever (or teach it) just because it's something they don't want brought up. If I read it, in the full understanding that the ideas expressed within it are wrong, then there should be no problem. But certain people want books like this removed from the curriculum, or to pretend they don't exist. Hell I don't know: I'm no political animal. I just think everyone needs to chill. Call bad stuff out for when it IS bad stuff, not for when it can be misinterpeted. Should all historical "n" words, or paddies, or chinks, or whatever, be removed from circulation? Surely if you acknowledge it was a different time, but that such language/attitudes/behaviour/treatment is not acceptable today, that should be enough?

Anyway, I'm backing out of this, as it's spiralled a little and I don't want to be taken up wrongly. Also I do agree that maybe it's a little too hot a topic for here. Maybe Tore can move it to the secret forum? Either way, I'm done posting. I think I may have tripped over my tongue. Door's this way, is it?

1) it's ok to disagree about things
2) having a contrary opinion isn't an act of aggression
3) i have weird and angry political views but i defend them - it's not a good reason to dislike me
4) this is a current thing that's really happening
5) it's lame to try to paint me as a disruptor or drama queen for bringing things up

I'm not quite sure at this moment that we need to do anything to the topic, although it is possible. What I would prefer is that we can keep things civil and not assume the worst about each other. For example, I feel reasonably confident that we all can agree that racial prejudice and discrimination are bad things. I also think many are quick to use the word fascist and equating any opinion on the matter as being extremely right or left wing might not always make sense.

So all I ask for now is please be aware that it may be a sensitive topic and be aware of the energy you bring to it and please don't be quick to label others. I would like this to be the sort of community where these kinds of discussions are a possibility and where you'd hopefully feel that your sparring partner generally has your best interests in mind, even if you don't agree on everything.

Happiness is a warm manatee

QuoteI think I may have tripped over my tongue.

you haven't though - you were accused of being racist and banned from a forum by a group of people who have no ability to think objectively- you were treated unfairly

and there's always an excuse but over time things are lost because people start to become afraid to speak their minds

it's always things like you can say what you want but not with repercussions

well guess what repercussions are a two way street - people who try to dictate what others can say should be harassed as well and lose their jobs and all that

What I don't understand is:  Why couldn't this professor describe those blanked-out words as "a racial slur" and an "insult" in his hypothetical question? I think that would have conveyed more sensitivity to some of his students.

Quote from: ribbons on Feb 06, 2023, 10:17 PMWhat I don't understand is:  Why couldn't this professor describe those blanked-out words as "a racial slur" and an "insult" in his hypothetical question? I think that would have conveyed more sensitivity to some of his students.

because they're training to practice law IN THE REAL WORLD- the real world is nasty - if words on a test are too much for them how can they be expected to handle the brutal hatred of reality where people arent only called offensive names they're also called offensive names while being raped and beaten by people who dgaf about feelings and especially not cultural sensitivity-

how you think guards talk to inmates in prison?

what do you think the police say when they got you back in the patrol car in all white wherever

law students should be able to handle any word in the context of their education

Quote from: TheNonSexual OccultHawk on Feb 06, 2023, 11:01 PM
Quote from: ribbons on Feb 06, 2023, 10:17 PMWhat I don't understand is:  Why couldn't this professor describe those blanked-out words as "a racial slur" and an "insult" in his hypothetical question? I think that would have conveyed more sensitivity to some of his students.

because they're training to practice law IN THE REAL WORLD- the real world is nasty - if words on a test are too much for them how can they be expected to handle the brutal hatred of reality where people arent only called offensive names they're also called offensive names while being raped and beaten by people who dgaf about feelings and especially not cultural sensitivity-

how you think guards talk to inmates in prison?

what do you think the police say when they got you back in the patrol car in all white wherever

law students should be able to handle any word in the context of their education

I'm sure the students were/are well aware of the racial slurs and insults thrown about in the real world.  That's not what I was referring to.  I'm referring to a professor showing a modicum of respect to his students on a quiz question - it really isn't that hard to do.

Edit:  By the way, I don't think the punishment fit the crime here; he definitely should not have been fired or even exiled from campus.  I believe the diversity training would be appropriate in this case and certainly wouldn't hurt any.

I'd be a little careful with jumping to conclusions. It does seem like an overreaction, but maybe there's more to this than what's apparent from the article. Taken at face value, I'd agree it seems exaggerated.

Other than that, I don't have much to add. There's no oppressive or out of control wokeness where I'm at, so I can't really relate.

Happiness is a warm manatee

QuoteI'm referring to a professor showing a modicum of respect to his students on a quiz question

he disrespects them by shirking away from reality - there's value in reality- baseball players don't practice with rubber balls - they play hard ball for a reason - you can't go into law, an especially ugly profession, feeling like you need to be sheltered - if i had my way the students that objected would be expelled for not being cutout for the job

QuoteThere's no oppressive or out of control wokeness where I'm at, so I can't really relate.

a four star high school quarterback was refused any scholarship at any div-1 school because he rapped along with a song that said "nigga" and even the artist said he was cool with it

lost his scholarship after years of training for rapping along with a song - kid's a hip hop head

one of the most prestigious journalists at the new york times was fired because when someone was describing an event he asked "did they actually say "the n word" or "nigger"

because he needed verification to answer the question

it's insane

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 06, 2023, 11:48 PMThere's no oppressive or out of control wokeness where I'm at, so I can't really relate.
There isn't over here either.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

well it's rampant in america and it's this kind of stupidity from liberals that makes it so unpalatable to vote for democrats

people see liberals supporting the ostracism of good professors and journalists reminiscent of maoism they tend to vote for the other party