Feb 06, 2023, 06:05 AM Last Edit: Mar 03, 2023, 02:21 PM by Rubber Soul
there are so many of these stories but here's one about a University of Illinois at Chicago law professor named Jason Kilborn

he wrote this on a test

QuoteThe tenured professor's exam question on the December 2020 quiz involved a hypothetical scenario where a Black female manager filed a work discrimination lawsuit after a meeting where colleagues called her a 'n____' and 'b____,' shorthand versions of a slur and an insult. Students in his Civil Procedures II course were asked to analyze the account of an imaginary former manager who made the profane statements.

QuoteThe university responded by canceling all of Kilborn's classes for that entire semester. He was barred from going to UIC's campus, having any informal meetings with colleagues and students or participating in university events.

QuoteNearly a year later, Black law students held a rally and were joined by the Rev. Jesse Jackson in demanding administrators fire Kilborn.

QuoteBefore being allowed to return to law classes by fall 2022, Kilborn had to agree to satisfactory completion of a battery of required training courses that included an eight-week diversity course and weekly 90-minute sessions with a diversity "trainer," according to his federal lawsuit.

just the fact that he would only write the letter "n" on a test question instead of the actual word "nigger" seems like the height of hysteria but no it's not it goes on and on - he teaches law and this is a scenario that could realistically happen but he can't even teach about it without people hoing into conniptions and can't keep his job unless he goes through a retraining process for correctly teaching his class

how could anyone think this is insane or has anything to do with civil rights

completely bonkers

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-uic-law-professor-files-lawsuit-20220217-ogxsiixuxfdmfdfxh6qd4i3p4a-story.html

I was going to say that looks like a justified lawsuit waiting to happen but then I noticed the professor has indeed filed a lawsuit over the matter.

Roger Waters said it best in 1973: "The lunatics are in the hall/ The paper holds their folded faces to the floor/ And every day the paper boy brings more." Jesus Christ.

Here's a thing. For a while I was on one of those left-leaning websites, and I began posting some of my journals. I was almost immediately reprimanded for using derogatory terms against Native Americans/Eskimos (which I did not) even though the quotes were taken from a Wiki article. After this rather annoying slap-down I was then told my next journal was racist because I used the word "savages" (with the quotes, and in context, showing that it was not my view - it was like "the Indians or as people then called them, savages") - and some other words which were, again, taken entirely out of context. I wrote back, asking the person who had deleted my journal if he had ever heard of the idea of context, and as a result was banned from the site. Fuck them.

Just goes to show, left or right, liberal or fascist, pushing your own opinions and agenda onto everyone without any regard for theirs, with no nuance or intention of debate or understanding is as bad from one side as from the other. As I said to them, you go on about the Republicans trying to stymie free speech, but you're just as bad as them.

So is this going to turn into a right wing reactionary forum or what?

This is what you want. This is what you get.

QuoteI was then told my next journal was racist because I used the word "savages" (with the quotes, and in context, showing that it was not my view - it was like "the Indians or as people then called them, savages")

The woke left accuses DeSantis of trying to erase history and they're correct. Unfortunately, they're trying to do the same thing. Spike Lee crying that Tarantino character's use the word "nigger" is an example. Black activists have sought to ban To Kill a Mockingbird and Huck Finn.

I don't think it's right or left wing. I'm just saying that just because you think your opinion is right (not in the political sense, but in the sense of being correct) doesn't make it so, simply because you're not a Republican. Some Democrats/left/liberal people are trying to change history and push their own agenda just as forcefully - and wrongfully - as De Santis, Trump and Cruz. Wokeness is stupid, just another form of forcing people to conform to a way of thinking, just as fascism is. People should be able to make up their own minds about issues, and you can't go undoing and rewriting the past just because it doesn't fit in with your present worldview.

Bill and Ted said it best: be excellent to each other. Words to live by.

Quote from: Trollheart on Feb 06, 2023, 06:41 PMWokeness is stupid, just another form of forcing people to conform to a way of thinking, just as fascism is. People should be able to make up their own minds about issues, and you can't go undoing and rewriting the past just because it doesn't fit in with your present worldview.
Woke means being "alert to racial prejudice and discrimination". I don't think that's stupid or somehow akin to fascism or an effort to rewrite the past.

No of course not. I think what I should have said was overuse and abuse of the idea is stupid, liek OH says, trying to ban books from the 19th century because they don't conform to current ideas of acceptable behaviour and so on. It can get really out of hand, as I found out. Sort of like PC; sometimes the ideas advanced by those who espoused this idea were completely ludicrous. But of course woke, or if you prefer, proper or real woke, has its place and can do a lot of good in the world. I feel it's only when people use it to batter others over the head with their opinions and beliefs that it falls down. Just wanted to make that clear.

QuoteI don't think that's stupid or somehow akin to fascism or an effort to rewrite the past.

Trying to fire a professor for writing the letter "n" and making him take re-education courses and profusely apologize for something that wasn't even remotely wrong has Maoist totalitarian tendencies which I consider fascist.

Firing a journalist for using a specific word without consideration for the context is weaponizing poverty the go to play for neoliberal capitalist fascists. Banning comedians. Kicking college students out of school. Revoking scholarships. All variations of fascist capitalist poverty weaponization.

Trolls, the people who banned you from that forum if they came to have political control they'd be fascist, indeed. It might have different origins than other totalitarianism but the negative impact on the world would be the same.

Congratulations on posting your right wing reactionary talking points on this brand new forum. No doubt this will lead to wonderful things for this fledgling community.

I don't really think that's fair to be honest. If you take the politics out of it, is one group who thinks one thing right to try to force that opinion on others in the name of "political correctness" or "wokeness" any more than another group is right to do so in the name of "family values", "freedumb" or "USA! USA!" or whatever? I'm not supporting either side; I'm saying that just because you're on, let's call it the "good" side, as a really bad label but it sort of fits, or the non-Republican side (and let it be known, I hate Republicans and all they stand for) doesn't allow you to force your views on others. You might have strong feelings about things but you can't hold others responsible for these kind of things. What's next? Roots has to have all the "n" words excised from it, removing any impact of the use of the word? The idea of an announcement before a show, which I've seen, warning it contains "outdated or prejudicial views no longer acceptable and may offend some viewers" is, I think, a good way to say, look, this was written/made a long time ago or set in a period long ago, when such things were accepted. They're not now, but we're going to present it to you as it was.

The other way, so far as I can see, involves a sort of Orwellian idea of rewriting history in a way it makes us more comfortable, and either ignoring or changing things so that they fit in with today's views. There has to be some sanity here. Both ways, when practiced to extremes, are, in my view, totally wrong.

No offense TH, but what on earth are you talking about?

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:15 PMCongratulations on posting your right wing reactionary talking points on this brand new forum. No doubt this will lead to wonderful things for this fledgling community.
it stayed civilised for longer than I feared it might actually, but here we are :/

Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 06, 2023, 08:30 PM
Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 06, 2023, 08:15 PMCongratulations on posting your right wing reactionary talking points on this brand new forum. No doubt this will lead to wonderful things for this fledgling community.
it stayed civilised for longer than I feared it might actually, but here we are :/
For real. This kind of shit is why stopping posting much on MB.