Thought I'd follow this, as it's basically almost another Euros, as such. From what I can see and know of the competition, the difference is that every nation qualifies. I mean, JJ can tell me if I'm wrong, but with 54 teams in the competition - would have been 55 but for you-know-who, who were automatically disqualified as their president should be disqualified from the human race, and personally I think Israel should have been kicked out too -  I think that looks right.

In the UEFA Nations League, teams are seeded or ranked according to how well, or badly, they've done in previous competitions, such as the Euros and World Cup. A high ranking, however, does not guarantee opposition of the same quality, as teams are selected randomly.

Another difference between both the Euros and the World Cup is the length of time involved. Rather than complete the competition over the course of a month or so, the Nations League will go on into next year, with the finals taking place in March. As well as this, there's an element of a kind of international Premier League about this tournament, as teams can be promoted to a higher group and also relegated to a lower one. Add to that the fact that a good performance and a high placing in their league will assure that country's team of qualification for the World Cup in 2026, and there really is a whole lot to play for.

Numbers shown below in brackets after teams refer to their worldranking/seeding level (the higher the ranking, obviously, the better the team is reckoned to be).

I thought I was getting in on the ground floor here, so to speak, but it seems I've already missed two days of matches, so I'll have to watch highlights and summarise those. Matches after these will be more detailed.

DAY ONE

League A, Group 1 (A1)
Scotland (48) v Poland (28)
Hampden Park, Glasgow
Result: Scotland 2 - 3 Poland

Kicking off the entire tournament, Scotland, the eternal underdogs, could not have been feeling particularly confident off the back of their poor performance in the Euros. Memories of that 5-1 thrashing at the hands of Germany must have been hard to banish from their heads, and coming up against Poland, ranked twenty places above them, would not have helped. What might have helped was playing before a home crowd: if there's one thing you can say about Scotland, it's that they have some of the best and most loyal and dedicated supporters in football, and they'd be raising the rafters (well, you know what I mean) from the very first kick, in hopes of cheering their team on to a win and a good start to the competition.

Unfortunately, despite this it was Poland who went ahead on 7 minutes but Scotland equalised with a scrappy goal from Scott McTominay on 23 minutes. Suspicion of offside led to the goal actually being ruled out for handball, so 1-0 it remained to Poland, until they won a penalty in the 43rd minute, Lewandowski, showing no signs of being tired from what was expected to have been his last international appearance at the Euros, blasted the ball into the bottom corner to give his country a 2-0 lead at the break. Not looking good for the Scots!

Scotland opened the second half in style, halving the deficit within the first minute as Billy Gilmore gave them hope. It was all Scotland now as they pressed for an equaliser, McTominay taking his chance and this time no hint of any decision and the goal stood. All level with 15 minutes to go! Scottish hearts were to be broken though as Poland got a penalty at the death, almost saved by the Scottish keeper, but Poland ran out 3-2 winners.

League A, Group 1 (A1)
Portugal (eight) v Croatia (12)
Benfica Stadium, Lisbon
Result: Portugal 2 - 1 Croatia

While they may not exactly have set the Euros alight, and questions remain over Ronaldo's future, Portugal remain eighth in the world and must be seen as one of the favourites to contest the final. Croatia aren't far behind them, and with Luka Modric in your side you always have a chance. Portugal were of course on the front foot from the off, with Bruno Fernandes going close but his effort beaten away by the Croatian keeper. A minute later though it was a Manchester United team effort on the Croatian goal as Diego Dalot did what Fernandes could not, and put Portugal ahead.

Modric had a great shot in the 14th minute but it went wide, Portugal missed another but then that man would of course not be denied, and Ronaldo got his team's second goal in the 33rd minute. He also made history for the umpteenth time, netting the 900th goal of his career! That's incredible. He's the only male player in world football to have achieved that. Croatia hit back before the break, making it 2-1 as the second half began, and that was how it ended.

League A, Group 1 Table
Poland top Group 1 with 3 points
Portugal are just behind them, also with 3 points but a lower goal difference (2 to 1)
Scotland take third place with 0 points but 2 goals while Croatia, with just the one goal and also 0 points are bottom of the table.

(Annoyed note: Have to write in eight as every time I use the number with brackets it gives me a damned emoticon, and I can't seem to find a way around it).

#2 Sep 08, 2024, 02:18 AM Last Edit: Sep 08, 2024, 02:22 AM by Trollheart
League A, Group 4 (A4)
Denmark (21) v Switzerland (15)
Parken, Copenhagen
Result: Denmark 2 - 0 Switzerland

After having been knocked out of the Euros on penalties by England, Switzerland must have been fired up, while Denmark obviously wanted to improve on their performance in that tournament. You wouldn't know it though; it took almost 30 minutes before there was any sort of a shot on goal, and a staggering 81 before Denmark finally scored, claiming a second in extra time to run out 2-0 winners in what really was a game that didn't come to life until almost the dying moments. Not what you would have expected, though I'm sure the Danes were happy with the result. To add to the Swiss's woes, petulant firebrand Granit Xhaka was sent off after a second yellow card, which won't help their cause.

League A, Group 4 (A4)
Serbia (32) v Spain (3)
Rajko Mitic Stadium, Belgrade
Result: Serbia 0 - 0 Spain

Even playing in front of their home fans, nobody could have expected that Serbia would get much change out of the third-ranked team in the world, current European champions for the fourth time, the only country ever to achieve such an honour. Serbia had punched above their weight in the Euros, but surely they couldn't stand against the mighty Spain?

Well, as it happened, they squandered a gilt-edged opportunity to take the lead in the 33rd minute but shot wide. The word "sitter" was bandied around, and Serbia were left to rue their missed chance. They held on though, and fought out a nil-all draw, no doubt much to Spain's disgust and the delight of the home fans.

League A, Group 4 Table
Denmark's victory over the Swiss places them at the top with 3 points, while Serbia take second place with the one point, Spain below them in a very embarrassing and surely not at all expected third place, while Switzerland are bottom of the group with 0 points.

League C, Group 3 (C3)
Northern Ireland (74) v Luxembourg (84)
Windsor Park, Belfast
Result: Northern Ireland 2 - 0 Luxembourg

You'd have to call Northern Ireland underdogs too: they never do well, and that's not a Republican bias, just the truth. 1 win out of 16 games tells its own story. Mind you, again, we're talking a team playing at home and also taking on a much lower-ranked opponent, and you couldn't imagine they were worrying too much about Luxembourg, more famed for its radio stations and politics than its football.

As it goes, Northern Ireland struck first, and early, with a fine shot on 10 minutes to give them the lead, and five minutes later they were two to the good, holding this lead as they went into the break. Luxembourg came nowhere near the Northern Irish goal. Maybe stick to the radio, guys?

League C, Group 3 (C3)
Belarus (99) v Bulgaria (82)
Zte Arena, Zalaegerszeg
Result: Belarus 0 - 0 Bulgaria

Oh man! Just look at those seedings! You couldn't expect this to be any sort of goalfest, now could you? I can't be sure, but I don't think Belarus have ever been in any international competition before, other than this (I mean one you have to qualify for) and Bulgaria don't exactly have a star-studded football history, now do they? Maybe bring a book if you were going to the match?

Despite dominating the possession, Bulgaria found themselves unable to open the scoring, and in addition their lack of discipline led to one of their men being sent off. Could this be the chance Belarus had been waiting for? Still 18 minutes and extra time to go... Well, no. They tried, and had a shot saved, but the best that could be said was that neither team lost, and it ended another nil-nil draw, which was about all you could expect really.

League 3 Group C Table

Northern Ireland top the table with 3 points, Belarus behind them on second with 1, also with one Bulgaria at third and bringing up the rear it's Luxembourg with 0 points.

League C, Group 1 (C1)
Azerbaijan (111) v Sweden (29)
Tofiq Bahramov Republican Stadium, Baku
Result: Azerbaijan 1 - Sweden 3

This surely looked like an easy win for the Swedes, almost 100 places separating the two countries in the seedings. Even so, the Azerbaijanis held them till the second half, 64th minute in fact, Newcastle's Alexander Isak getting his second in the 70th and then creating the opportunity for the third as he was taken down in the penalty area (ooer!) Sweden were three up seven minutes later.

Azerbaijan didn't completely disgrace themselves, netting a fine header in the 81st minute, but they were well beaten by the Swedes who took the match 3-1.

League C , Group 1 (C1)
Estonia (123) v Slovakia (44)
A. Le Coq Arena, Tallinn
Result: Estonia 0 - 1 Slovakia

Again a huge gap in quality here, or at least standing, with more than eighty places between Slovakia and its East European neighbour. After their heroics against England in the Euros they must have been on a high; nevertheless the first half remained goalless and it was almost the seventieth minute before they netted, Estonia missing the chance late on to equalise, leaving Slovakia with the win.

League C, Group 1 Table

Sweden, as expected, lead the line with 3 points while Slovakia, also with three points but just the 1 goal to Sweden's 3 take second. Estonia are third with 0 points and Azerbaijan make up the numbers, also pointless, at the bottom of the table. So no surprises there.

League D, Group 1 (D1)
San Marino (210) v Liechtenstein (199)
San Marino Stadium, Serravalle
Result: San Marino 1 - 0 Liechtenstein

Oh talk about the battle of the underdogs! When your seeding is as low as Liechtenstein's, you can only hope you come up against opposition lower than you, and they literally don't come any lower than San Marino, ranked 210th and last in the world. Thrills, spills, chills, goalmouth action, dodgy decisions, penalties, sendings-off: expect none of these in what must surely have been a drab, hum-drum, boring affair between what must be considered two of the very worst teams in Europe.

Yeah, about that. San Marino had NEVER scored in a single international competition. Not once. Ever. So imagine their delight when they took the lead (yes, yes, only against Liechtenstein, but let them have their moment of glory, for fuck's sake!) on 52 minutes when a quite excellent lob bounced past the Liechtenstein keeper and into the net, giving them an undreamed-of 1-0 lead! No doubt the team got the freedom of the city when they got home, as they held on for a historic win. Well, shut my mouth!

League D, Group 1 Table

This group has only three teams in it, so to everyone's surprise San Marino top it with an unheard-of and first-ever 3 points, Gibraltar are second with 0 points and poor old Liechtenstein prop up the table in their familiar position of last with 0 points. Hold on a mo! Three teams? Who plays the Rock then? No, I don't mean Dwayne Johnson! Who do Gibraltar play, and is it possible for them to be second without even playing a match? Oooh Liechtenstein! That's gotta hurt!

Day Two

League B, Group 4  (B4)
Wales (30) v Turkey (26)
Cardiff Stadium, Cardiff
Result: Wales 0 - 0 Turkey

Another of the "Home Nations" kicked off day two of the tournament, with Wales taking on what has been a resurgent Turkey, and with only four places between them this could have gone either way. Wales almost opened the scoring on 5 minutes but the shot went over the bar, another effort going close on 14. A sitter missed on 17 showed that though Wales were having all the possession they weren't putting it in the back of the net, and they almost paid for it when Turkey had a penalty shout on the half hour, the Turkish player deemed to have dived instead and picking up a yellow card.

Goalless then as the second half began, with Wales keeping up the pressure but still failing to score, though they came very close on 55 minutes. On 61 minutes the Turkish player who had dived for the penalty got another yellow and so he was off. Surely the Welsh could capitalise on this? In fact, they were almost made to pay for all those missed chances in the dying minutes as Turkey began to play, but another shot going wide at the death left it a goalless draw.

League B, Group 4 (B4)
Iceland (71) v Montenegro (73)
Laugardalsvöllur, Reykjavik
Result: Iceland 2 - 0 Montenegro

While Iceland surprised everyone - especially England - at the last World Cup, they'd been virtually non-runners before that, and their performance at the Euros leaves little doubt that their famous victory was an isolated incident, even a flash in the pan. Still, Montenegro are hardly world-class opposition, so on balance, though they're evenly matched seeding-wise, you would probably have gone for the guys whose name was taken for a supermarket.

They took the lead on 38 minutes with a fine header from a corner, then duplicated that on 58 to double their lead. Montenegro, to nobody's surprise, were little trouble for the victorious Icelanders and they ran out 2-0 winners.

League B, Group A Table

Iceland top the table with 3 points, while Wales are second with 1, Turkey third, also with 1 and Montenegro, without a single point, prop up the table. Maybe the new Ireland manager might have seen this as a sign? He's from Iceland, in case you didn't know or care.

League A, Group 2  (A2)
Belgium (6) v Israel (78)
Nagyerdei Stadium, Debrecen
Result: Belgium 3 - 1 Israel

Not wishing to bring politics into sport, but as I said above, if you're going to kick one nation out for invading another and murdering thousands or millions in an unjustified war, then why let another rogue state that is doing what it likes, whose leader is now a war criminal and whose actions rival that of the man who tried so hard to exterminate his own race, take part? But there it is: whether it's due to their backing from America (shouldn't be anything to do with it as USA are not involved in UEFA) or just double standards, but the Israel team is allowed to take part, and here they took on one of the European footballing powers who, though they took their time to get going in the Euros, are still ranked sixth in the world.

Their talisman, Kevin de Bruyne, opened the scoring on 20 minutes with a fine shot, but a lucky own goal fifteen minutes later had Israel level. Belgium regained the lead almost as soon as the second half began, then a few minutes later got a penalty, taken and converted by De Bruyne. A second Belgian penalty was missed, though it didn't matter as Belgium won comfortably 3-1, and to my mind at least, justice was done.

League A, Group 2 (A2)
France (2) v Italy (10)
Parc des Princes, Paris
Result: France 1 - 3 Italy

Two footballing titans met, but Italy's failing fortunes on the world stage must be reflected in a relatively low seeding of tenth compared to high-flying France, who are second in the world. Showing why, they scored after thirteen seconds (!) which must be some sort of record. Italy were back in it on the half-hour, and then took the lead five minutes after the restart. Surprisingly, it was the Italians who again scored in the 73rd minute to take the match 3-1, a shocked France probably wondering qu'est que c'est que'ca? Or something.

League A, Group 2 Table
Quite a shock really. Italy lead with 3 points and 3 goals, Belgium come second with the same tally while Israel, with nil points, are third and amazingly the mighty France occupy the last slot, with no goals and no points. Sacre bleu!

League B, Group 3 (B3)
Slovenia (52) v Austria (22)
Stozice Stadium, Ljubljana
Result: SLovenia 1 - 1 Austria

The match between Slovenia and Austria got going with a penalty awarded to the former on 14 minutes. Unlike their Euros penalty shootout against Portugal, where they scored nary a single one, this was converted and Slovenia were ahead. Their lead didn't last long though, as Austria pounced to level the game on 28, and take the score 1-1 into the break.

The second half is probably better forgotten; it was certainly forgettable, with just the one decent chance near the end for Slovenia, missed though, so the match ended 1-1.

League B, Group 3 (B3)
Kazakhstan (109) v Norway (50)
Almaty Ortalyk Stadium
Result: Kazakhstan 0 - 0 Norway

Quite a gulf here too, over fifty places between the two teams. Even with the mighty Erling Haaland in the Norwegian team it was scoreless at the break, and so it remained to the end, which has to be a compliment to Kazakhstan. After all, when you have a goal-scoring machine in your side you expect to at least have your keeper make more than one save, yet in fact a last-gasp dive near the end by the Kazakhstan keeper was the ONLY save in the entire match! Nil-nil at the end then, surely an unexpected result.

League B, Group 3 Table
Again, something of a surprise, with Austria topping the group with a single point and goal, Slovenia duplicating that result and coming second, Norway down at third with one point and no goals, and Kazakhstan, despite their heroics in holding the Norwegians to a scoreless draw, at the bottom with one point and no goals.

League C, Group 2  (C2)
Kosovo (106) v Romania (45)
Fadil Vokrri Stadium, Pristina
Result: Kosovo 0 - 3 Romania

Seldom see Kosovo in action, and with Romania fresh from a decent performance in the Euros, all eyes would have been on them. They were ahead on 40 minutes, adding a second when they got a penalty just after the start of the second half. A third netted in the last ten minutes left Kosovo with nine men and Romania with a 3-0 win.

League C, Group 2 (C2)
Lithuania (135) v Cyprus (127)
Marijampole Football Arena
Result: Lithuania 0 - 1 Cyprus

Although there was little between these two teams, they were both around the same seeding, down in the low hundreds, so again a goalfest not expected. A good goal for Cyprus was about all that happened in either half until Lithuania had the chance to equalise right at the death, but the Cyprian keeper saved, giving his team the victory.

League C, Group 3 Table

More or less as expected, Romania top the group with 3 points and 3 goals, Cyprus also have 3 points but only 1 goal, still gives them second place. Lithuania have 0 points and 0 goals and take third while Kosovo languish at the bottom with 0 points and 0 goals.

Day 3
Note: For some reason there are no highlights available to me on the telly, and YouTubes do my head in basically. You're never sure if you're watching the right match, there's usually no commentary, and they are, as we say in football, a pain in the hole. So the only one I managed to get that ran properly for me was the Germany-Hungary match. For the rest, other than Ireland-England, which I obviously watched live, you'll have to do with the scores. Soz. Well look, I'll glean what I can from the match reports, best I can do. Yeah, I'm good at gleaning.

League A , Group 3 (A3)
Germany (13) v Hungary (31)
Merkur-Spiel Arena, Dusseldorf
Result: Germany 5 - 0 Hungary

The Germans remain one of the powerhouses of European football, even if their ranking has slid slightly, and Hungary were no doubt still stinging from the thrashing they took at their hands in the Euros, but Germany were in no mood to be gentle this time out either. They were already 1-0 up on 27 minutes, netting their second soon after the restart, and things didn't get any better for the Hungarians on the 65 minute mark, when Germany scored their third. This was turning into another rout.

Twelve minutes later it was 4-0, the Hungarians looking shell-shocked, seemingly having had not a shot on goal, though I can't say for sure, as these YouTube videos are not great on details. Even so, Germany were definitely in total control and added their fifth in the eightieth minute when they were awarded a penalty, which was duly converted. Poor old Hungary must have thought it was Groundhog Day!

League A , Group 3 (A3)
Netherlands (7) v Bosnia & Herzegovina (75)
Philips Stadion, Eindhoven
Result: Netherlands 5 - 2 Bosnia

Although I of course would have expected Netherlands to, um, run all over Bosnia, they must have put up a decent fight as they got two goals of their own, and in fact it looks like they levelled the game at 1-1 on 27 minutes, holding the Dutch till extra time in the first half, pulling it back to 3-2 in the second half but then the Netherlands scored twice again and the game was won. A good effort though, it would seem.

League A, Group 3 Table
No real surprises here. Germany top the group with 3 points, with Netherlands in second place, also with 3 points. Perhaps a slight surprise is that Bosnia take third place thanks to a better goal difference than poor Hungary, who are shattered and last in the group.

League B, Group 1 (B1)
Georgia (70) v Czech Republic (47)
Mikheil Meskhi Stadium, Tbilisi
Result: Georgia 4 -1 Czech Republic
Georgia, who came of age in their first Euros this year, stormed into the lead with a penalty on 33 minutes, then led the scoring as they added another three over a thirteen-minute period from minute 55, with the Czechs only able to pull one back in the 80th minute. This score would not have been expected. Watch these guys.

League B, Group 1 (B1)
Ukraine (25) v Albania (66)
Stadion Letna, Prague
Result: Ukraine 1 - 2 Albania
Just one example of how seeding doesn't always make the difference, as Albania, who impressed in the Euros too, came back almost immediately from a second-half Ukrainian goal to take the match 2-1.

League B, Group 1 Table
Probably quite a surprise to see Georgia head the group after that 4-1 thumping of the Czechs, giving them 3 points, and equally unexpected to see Albania take second place after knocking Ukraine down and also gaining 3 points. Speaking of Ukraine, they're at third with 0 points and the bottom of the table is occupied by the Czech Republic also with 0 points.

League B, Group 2 (B2)
Greece (54) v Finland (63)
Karaiskakis Stadium, Piraeus
Result: Greece 3 - 0 Finland
Looks like Finland did themselves no favours, scoring an own goal in the 37th minute after having gone down one already 14 minutes previous. Greece then added a third in the 76th minute and it was all over.

League B, Group 2 (B2)
Ireland (58) v England (4)
Aviva Stadium, Dublin
Result: Ireland 0 - 2 England

Nobody will be surprised to hear this is a real grudge match, with England expected to far outclass Ireland on our home ground. No Irish or English person - or, indeed, anyone from any other country, surely need be told why this is seen as a match between bitter rivals. With such a massive gulf in seedings, you wouldn't have given much for our chances.

And you would have been right.

Despite what could charitably perhaps be called a half-decent start by Ireland, it was of course England who scored early, 12 minutes into the match when Trent Alexander-Arnold passed to Declan Rice, the Irishman almost embarrassed to score before the Irish fans. But soon after Ireland had a free and should have done better; unfortunately, attack turned into defence as England went on the break and almost scored again down our end. They didn't have to wait long for their second though, as almost on the 26th minute mark Jack Grealish showed why Manchester City wanted him from Villa, and a poor Irish defence let him score after a fine pass from the previous scorer, Declan Rice, giving England the lead 2-0 and the match wasn't even a quarter of the way through! Not looking good for the Boys in Green!

Ireland came close in the 32nd minute, though not really. It was a good cross but needed a better conversion and really went nowhere. A few moments later Kane was denied a penalty, which perhaps he had a case for, and a rare Irish attack in the last few minutes broke down and came to nothing despite the running of Ogbene. And so we headed into the end of the first half with Ireland 2-0 down, and honestly, not looking likely to halve that deficit, never mind overturn it. In fact, the only thing you could expect would be that England would strengthen their lead and put more balls into the back of the Irish net.

And they started the second half as they had ended the first, putting Ireland, as the great Jack Charlton used to say, under pressure, forcing a corner in the opening minute, not giving Ireland a chance to settle into the game. Perhaps worryingly, given that this was an Irish home game, there were a lot of empty seats by now in the Aviva. Not quite COYBIG, I have to say. Ireland completely outclassed, not really to anyone's surprise, and we couldn't even use the "excuse" that we are bedding in a new manager, as England are doing that too. We're just not good enough, and frankly I'm surprised we're as high up the rankings as we are. Hopeful long balls, shots to nowhere and nobody, poor defence, bad tackles - Ireland were just out of ideas, if they ever had any. This was looking like a walkover for England. They were hardly breaking a sweat.

Finally, a shot on goal! Ah, but it went wide. Well, at least we could say we tried. And again as the clock hit sixty, but the shot was snatched at and went high over the bar. I suppose we were getting closer? If there was, let's see, 90 minutes extra time we might have a chance? Hah! Lee Carsley (English manager) looked to me like Ross Kemp (British TV tough guy) on the touchline! Do wot? Shut it! I guess, given how poorly we played, being beaten 2-0 would not be the worst result, but we still had a half-hour and extra time to go, and honestly, I could see the English scoring again. Certainly didn't help that we kept giving possession away. You know, England were good enough against us - they didn't need any help from us!

A raft of English substitutes around the 77-minute mark at least eased the pressure for a few minutes, but the replacements were straight at it once they got on the field, and Ireland seemed to have no answer as we headed into the last ten minutes of normal time. Two amusing moments then, firstly when the board wouldn't work and England couldn't get their next two subs on (bloody technology, huh? Used to be just printed cards, I don't know, kids these days etc) and then as Kane went off and handed the captain's armband to Rice, the Irishman didn't want it! Nah, you're all right mate: give it to someone else. I'm embarrassed enough as it is, never be able to show me face in an Irish pub again!

5 minutes extra time did nothing but draw out the agony for Ireland, with England coming close to a third, but it finished 2-0, which, given how poor we were, has to be seen as something of a small achievement that we weren't battered by a lot more. Yeah, that's about all you can say about Ireland: we were beaten but not thrashed. Hardly a ringing endorsement, is it?

The Irish commentator said it best at the end: men against boys.

League B, Group 2 Table
Probably to England's annoyance, Greece take top spot due to superior goal difference. England are second with 3 points and we're third with, um, no points and no goals. That leaves Finland to bring up the rear, but at least we're not last. Um.

League C, Group 4  (C4)
Faroe Islands (138) v North Macedonia (72)
Torsvollur, Torshavn
Result: Faroe Islands 1 - 1 North Macedonia
A game of two penalties, looks like, the first scored in the opening ten minutes by the Faroes, with a corresponding one awarded to North Macedonia as the second half got going. Points shared, doesn't look as if this was anything to get terribly excited about.

League C, Group 4 (C4)
Armenia (97) v Latvia (137)
Vazgen Sargsyan Republican Stadium, Yerevan
Result: Armenia 4 - 1 Latvia
This seems to have been more like it! A storming performance from Armenia, as they scored in the first six minutes, helped out their opponent by then scoring an own goal three minutes later, Latvia repaying the favour by scoring an own goal themselves on 35 minutes, and then Armenia going on to take the match by netting twice more (both in the opposition goal, I should stress!) in the second half. Must have been quite funny in a way.

League C, Group 4 Table
After a performance like that, no surprise to see Armenia top the group with 3 points, while North Macedonia take second spot with 1 point, the Faroe Islands are in third, also with 1 point, and poor shell shocked Latvia are recovering down at the bottom with not a single point.

League D, Group 2 (D2)
Moldova (152) v Malta (172)
Stadionul Zimbru, Chisinau
Result: Moldova 2 - 0 Malta
Looks like Moldova had this one wrapped up from the start, with two goals in the first half, the second a penalty awarded in extra time, and no reply at all from Malta.

League D, Group 2 Table
Only three teams in it, so Moldova top the group with 3 points. Andorra, despite having yet to play, are second thanks to Malta's poorer goal difference, and they prop up the table as last.