You knew I was going to start a thread on the Beatles somewhere, didn't you?

Anyway, this thread will be for all things Beatles whether in the form of YouTube videos, stories on Beatle history (Including post Beatle endeavors), album and single reviews, whatever you want, as long as it is Beatles related.

Anyway, I'll start with a bit of trivia. How many of you knew that the Beatles' original bass player was a sunglass wearing chap by the name of Stu Sutcliffe? Not really part of the core group as Lennon had enlisted him (Sutcliffe was an art school buddy of Lennon's). His bass playing was adequate at best and the embarrassed Sutcliff would turn his back to the audience when the Beatles would perform in Hamburg. Sutcliffe dated photographer Astrid Kirchherr, who is also credited with encouraging what would become the Beatle haircut. Sutcliffe would leave the band in the beginning of 1962 to pursue a career in art and Paul McCartney would take up the bass. Sutcliff would tragically die of a brain hemorrhage just months later.

Okay, so who's next, or who wants to talk about Sutcliffe?

The Word has spoken :D

What's a Beatles? Never heard of 'em.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Geez! They came down to Earth on a Flaming Pie. Don't you know anything? :D

I'm sorry but I don't follow techno.

Beatles were a big part of my musical childhood as my parents were fans. I like a lot of their music even if I don't often seek them out these day.

By the way, I imagine it must've been fun being a Beatles fan when Peter Jackson's documentary came out. I heard on the radio that PJ's company also had made algorithms that could isolate the audio of an instrument like a bass f.ex from blended tracks and that they'd used this to create new stereo mixes. I wanted to check that out, but forgot about it and am not sure which album they were talking about.

Anyways, fun that there's still stuff coming out  :)  I hear them WAY less on the radio nowadays, though. Used to be a regular thing in the 80s/90s.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Actually, they were kind of overplayed on the oldies station I listened to in the nineties. The Beach Boys were too actually. It's bad when you get sick of a classic like God Only Knows. In the Beatles' case it was Hello Goodbye that seemed to get played daily. It remains one of my least favorite Beatles songs.

Quote from: Janszoon on Jan 30, 2023, 07:18 PMWhat's a Beatles? Never heard of 'em.

They were probably after your time. Definitely a childhood classic for me, though.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Quote from: Mrs. Waffles on Jan 30, 2023, 09:49 PMThey were probably after your time. Definitely a childhood classic for me, though.

:laughing:

I used to jam to the Beatles a lot but over the past decade now I havent really.

https://twitter.com/shhon_

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 30, 2023, 08:01 PMBeatles were a big part of my musical childhood as my parents were fans. I like a lot of their music even if I don't often seek them out these days.

Ditto. My experience of hearing a lot of their music now is kind of like listen to children's music as an adult, not because it really is, but just because I associate it so strongly with my childhood that it's become over-familiar (for lack of a better way to describe it)

Of course, I'm old enough where the Beatles, and certainly the solo Beatles, were part of my childhood. I can remember an eight to nine year old kid listening to the lyrics of My Sweet Lord. I was eight when I first saw a Hard Day's Night on local TV and became an instant fan from that point on. I'd save my lunch money and buy an album whenever I had saved enough. I was quite resourceful in those days. :D

#11 Jan 31, 2023, 10:21 PM Last Edit: Jan 31, 2023, 10:23 PM by ribbons
<------ Can you tell by my avatar whether I'm a Beatles fan?  Not only am I a fan of The Beatles' music (both my parents were big fans) but I'm also obsessed with the entire Beatles *soap opera*, George's spirituality (a huge influence on my life philosophically) and Paul and Linda's lovely relationship and natural living on the Scottish farm with sheep (hence my avatar lol). 

My daughter and I made the pilgrimage to Liverpool years ago and rode the Magical Mystery Tour bus.  I won the Beatles trivia quiz contest on the bus (yes I am a dork) with the final answer to the question, "John and Paul performed as a double act in a pub with acoustic guitars in 1960.  What was the name of their act?"  Answer: "The Nerk Twins".  My prize for this victory was a free pint at a Liverpool pub; my daughter thought this was a very big deal and my claim to fame.  :laughing:

^Cool ribbons :)

About Paul, I've only seen a small part of Get Back (the 2021 Beatles doc with footage of the making of Let It Be), but I was impressed with Paul from the part I saw. He has a good ear, great musical instinct and a way of getting the guys along which was really positive. I've always liked him, but got a little extra newfound respect.

I really should watch the rest of that.

Happiness is a warm manatee

#13 Feb 01, 2023, 03:27 AM Last Edit: Feb 01, 2023, 03:29 AM by ribbons
Couldn't agree more, Tore.  What I find most impressive about Paul in Get Back is the incredible amount of effort, musicality and direction he lends to the other Beatles' songs as much as his own songs.  And he keeps going on and on for the entire eight hours!  Awesome. 

I was just thinking (because this is obviously of immense importance) if I were stranded on a desert island but could keep 15 Beatles songs to while away my time alone, what would they be.  Not necessarily what I think are the *best* Beatles tracks, but those most meaningful to me.  Here goes:

Strawberry Fields Forever
A Day In The Life
Let It Be
Something
I'll Be Back
Two of Us
Love You To
Don't Let Me Down
Things We Said Today
Yesterday
Fixing a Hole
Think For Yourself