Quote from: Marie Monday on Jan 30, 2023, 09:54 AMVery subjective and in no particular order and I'm probably forgetting a lot:
Fanny and Alexander
Seven Samurai
Ghost World
Heathers
Daisies
Show Me Love
Alien
Thelma and Louise
Thelma
We Are The Best
Hausu
My Summer Of Love
Heavenly Creatures

Who doesn't love Fucking Åmål!

A film that would fit perfectly with this list's theme of female bonding is Beautiful Creatures (2000). In fact, been meaning to recommend it to you for a while. One of those trashy British gems mainstream audiences are too dim to get 

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

#31 Mar 12, 2023, 08:49 PM Last Edit: Mar 12, 2023, 08:51 PM by Marie Monday
and it has Rachel Weisz too?! I need to watch that

I was generally aware of it, but I hadn't fully realised just how many of my favourite films revolve around female bonding :laughing:

#32 Mar 13, 2023, 02:48 AM Last Edit: Mar 13, 2023, 02:54 AM by Lisnaholic
:laughing: yes, it's funny how our film choices suddenly end up revealing something about ourselves. That's why I'm very wary of starting my list with a film I just loved as a child:

Zulu (1964) by Cy Enfield: really doesn't pass by today's standards, but intoxicating colour and excitement for a 10-year-old.

More mature choices:-

Taxi Driver (1976) by Scorsese (on tristan's list too)
Angel Heart (1987) by Alan Parker
Naked Lunch (1991) by David Cronenberg
Brief Encounter (1945) by David Lean
A Room With A View (1985) by Ivory/Merchant
Schindler's List (1993) by Spielberg (thanks for the reminder, Guybrush)
Thelma And Louise (1991) by Ridley Scott (ditto, Marie Monday)
Fargo or Barton Fink by The Cohen Brothers (I couldn't choose, though Rubber Soul and Janzsoon have been able to.)
Secrets And Lies (1996) by Mike Leigh
Mississippi Burning (1988), my second Alan Parker nom.
Everything Is Illuminated (2005) by Liev Schreiber

Same disclaimers as others are mentioning: not in order, not definitive, etc.

Honorable mentions of "just loved at the time but now I'm not sure": (i) already mentioned by other members: those classic Hitchcock movies Vertigo, North By Northwest, then Blue Velvet, 2001: A Space Odessesy, (ii) from my very own brain: Lawrence Of Arabia, The Naked Civil Servant, The Talented Mr.Ripley.

Finally, a film I haven't heard mentioned in years: Dream's choice of The Chant Of Jimmie Blacksmith. I didn't actually like this movie, for reasons that may be obvious from some of my choices above: The Chant Of JB focuses on people being relentlessly cruel to each other. Where's the heart-warming romantic element, the nice scenery, the tasteful literary connection ?!? For a movie set in Australia, I might go for the one immortalised by Elaine Benes:-

To get lost is to learn the way.