4. La La Land
5. Taxi Driver
6. 2001: A Space Odyssey
7. Donnie Darko
8. Amélie
9. The Life Aquatic
10. Buzzard

"I own the mail" or whatever Elph said

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Oh no forgot about Inland Empire, it'll have to be honorary

u shud eat like at least two golf ball sized fists of dirt every day RETurn to S  O  I  L!!!1!

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Feb 02, 2023, 03:55 AM1. Arrival
2. Vertigo
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. La La Land
5. Taxi Driver
7. Donnie Darko
8. Amélie
9. The Life Aquatic
10. Buzzard
That's a great list! But I just want to call attention to Buzzard because I think you're the only person I know who has seen it. Isn't great? I actually got into a couple of bands because of that movie.

This is what you want. This is what you get.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 02, 2023, 04:26 AM
Quote from: tristan_geoff on Feb 02, 2023, 03:55 AM1. Arrival
2. Vertigo
3. Blade Runner 2049
4. La La Land
5. Taxi Driver
7. Donnie Darko
8. Amélie
9. The Life Aquatic
10. Buzzard
That's a great list! But I just want to call attention to Buzzard because I think you're the only person I know who has seen it. Isn't great? I actually got into a couple of bands because of that movie.

It's so good!!  Love the atmosphere about it and the minimal dialogue, just makes it that much quirkier and laughable conceptually.  Although it's still pretty dark near the end, you still kinda find yourself rooting for this dumbass con-man throughout the whole thing  :laughing:

Quote from: tristan_geoff on Feb 02, 2023, 04:28 AMIt's so good!!  Love the atmosphere about it and the minimal dialogue, just makes it that much quirkier and laughable conceptually.  Although it's still pretty dark near the end, you still kinda find yourself rooting for this dumbass con-man throughout the whole thing  :laughing:
lol. True.

Have you ever seen anything else by that filmmaker? I know he did a movie called Ape about comedians, I think, and maybe one or two other animals themed ones as well.

Quote from: Janszoon on Feb 02, 2023, 04:36 AM
Quote from: tristan_geoff on Feb 02, 2023, 04:28 AMIt's so good!!  Love the atmosphere about it and the minimal dialogue, just makes it that much quirkier and laughable conceptually.  Although it's still pretty dark near the end, you still kinda find yourself rooting for this dumbass con-man throughout the whole thing  :laughing:
lol. True.

Have you ever seen anything else by that filmmaker? I know he did a movie called Ape about comedians, I think, and maybe one or two other animals themed ones as well.

I have not seen any other films by Joel!  But now I want to!!!

Fast Times at Ridgemont High *
Slacker
Henry:Portrait of a Serial Killer
Glengary Glen Ross
The Exorcist *
Midsommar
Crumb
You Killed Me First
Harlod and Maude
Gummo

honorable mention:
The Chant of Jimmie Blacksmith
Once Were Warriors *
Superfly (1972)
The Warriors *
The Bridge

Films without specific titles that are brutally disturbing and intensely socially relevant:

The live streamed suicide of Katelyn Nicole Davis

The live streamed footage of the Christchurch Mosque Massacres

The filmed decapitations by knife of 21 Coptic Christians on a beach by Isis terrorists

The iphone footage of George Floyd's murder

* reading the book is essential

Hell yes to Slacker getting a shoutout

#23 Feb 02, 2023, 07:46 PM Last Edit: Feb 02, 2023, 07:50 PM by Guybrush
Harold and Maude is brilliant! It's been a while, so should definitely watch that again.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a movie many like, but which felt pointless to me and also very distant from the actual lives of the two murderous characters it portraits. They were hobo lovers. Didn't Ottis like to dress up as a huge woman and pick fights in bars? Get some of that in there. Would've made for a much better movie :)

About the snuff, I might agree that we sometimes should be faced with the cruel / bad things in the world, but I'd still give a hard pass on most of those. George Floyd's murder I have seen.

Happiness is a warm manatee

the 12 year old girl hanging herself from an oak tree in georgia is really hard to watch and i don't recommend it to anybody

but she set it up she posted it live she wanted it to be seen

it might be the most disturbing transgressive film ever made and among the most profound social commentaries so far in the 21st C

i certainly won't ever watch it again - i think just watching it left a bit of a scar

Is that video even allowed on the internet? I can't imagine YouTube permitting it though they have shown suicides before. I think just about everyone in the US has seen the George Floyd video.

The Word has spoken :D

QuoteIs that video even allowed on the internet?

it's not in violation of any law i'm aware of

i think her parents could copyright it and then sue those who make it available

i found it on some creepy website

Quote from: Guybrush on Feb 02, 2023, 07:46 PMHarold and Maude is brilliant! It's been a while, so should definitely watch that again.

Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is a movie many like, but which felt pointless to me and also very distant from the actual lives of the two murderous characters it portraits. They were hobo lovers. Didn't Ottis like to dress up as a huge woman and pick fights in bars? Get some of that in there. Would've made for a much better movie :)
I'm with you on both of those movies. Harold and Maude is fantastic and has aged extremely well. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer is kind of underwhelming, I feel like it could have been a much better movie than it was.

1. Sonatine (1993)
2. Blade Runner (1982)
3. Don't Look Now (1973)
4. Tough Guys Don't Dance (1987)
5. Beyond The Black Rainbow (2010)
6. Risky Business (1983)
7. The Seventh Seal (1957)
8. Drive (2011)
9. To Live & Die In L.A. (1985)
10. Blue Velvet (1986)

QuoteLéolo

Nice one... Such a great film, poetic, imaginative, baroque etc etc. Filmed in what is now naturally the single most gentrified Montreal neighborhood. The actors are fantastic, the Tom Waits on the soundtrack, the way he brings the (great) Réjean Ducharme novel into the world of the film... really love it

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism