Went antiquing this morning to cheer myself up and found a crate of old Classics Illustrated. I already had several adaptations of my favorite classic sci-fi novels but I hadn't realized there was still another H.G. Wells title in the series so I grabbed it.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Gullivers Travels, and it's annoying me. The humour is dated and pretty cheap, and the satire is superficial without making intelligent points. The only real amusement (apart from some of the more imaginative bits) is the unintentional irony of a small-minded, self-satisfied writer complaining about small-minded self-sarisfaction in others

Quote from: Marie Monday on Feb 11, 2024, 09:59 PMGullivers Travels, and it's annoying me. The humour is dated and pretty cheap, and the satire is superficial without making intelligent points. The only real amusement (apart from some of the more imaginative bits) is the unintentional irony of a small-minded, self-satisfied writer complaining about small-minded self-sarisfaction in others

Just skip to Book 4, the one with the horses, that's the true masterpiece. You don't have to read the first three ones to get it, it's not a 19th century novel where you can't skip a single word.

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

I just finished the 3rd book so that tip came too late but thanks anyway! At this point I can't imagine this guy being capable of any masterpiece by modern standards, but I'll suspend my judgement a while longer

I've finished the fourth book now and while it's certainly more interesting than the previous ones, it's still narrow-minded and superficial. Swift just complains about bad symptoms in society without questioning the causes in any depth. His sketch of an utopia also has an odious fascist flavour reminiscent of Plato's republic. And then I'm not even considering the racism and sexism (and homophobia)

#200 Feb 21, 2024, 10:06 PM Last Edit: Feb 21, 2024, 10:14 PM by Dianne W

Just gone recently from reading many lightweight books to going back to research the Ancestry Tree I started so now reading History related stories relating to my family. I found a perfect French Translator on Rootschat who I think is Dutch but he loves to get his mits into translations of the really bad writing of the BMD documents and has given me information that nearly knocked me for six's. Hand written documents of many many Thousand including our relative, Pierre Aumonier born 1630 in Fressines, Deux Sevres Poitou-Charente, France. He was Murdered by the French Dragoons...the murderous disciples of the King Louis XVI...one Son Jonas escaped to London injured but alive...........
I have stopped now..... ;D

Well almost because the picture is about another relative that moved as a youngster to New Zealand for the Coromandel Gold Rush where he hit it big time. The community loved him and honoured him with a house they built him next to the first known church as such and an Avenue named after him. He held Charity Fairs each year in his vast garden of 23 acreas and raised huge amounts for the needs of others.

http://www.kelticfair.co.nz/index.php?s=1&page=history LESS

Quote from: Guybrush on Jan 16, 2024, 06:42 AMWill be starting this soon:

I think it's a horror novel about boys in an orphanage or something? We'll see 🙂

Finished this. It's got some great reviews (including an endorsement from Stephen King, I believe), but I didn't really care too much for it. It left a lot of questions unanswered and I didn't care too much for the supernatural elements.

Now I'm reading a collection of Lovecraft-inspired short stories, but I don't care that much for them either 🤔

Happiness is a warm manatee