Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jul 14, 2023, 07:50 PMCEO fires 90% of customer support staff because AI chatbot outperforms them

I asked a AI chatbot about that. The potential for humans to consistently lose jobs because of AI and his explaination is that the jobs that they get fired from are obsolete and that they need to train for jobs where AI will assist them to complete jobs similar to how Guybrush uses AI on his job.

I was this cool the whole time.

No idea about other jobs, I'm sure there will be massive restructuring in many fields.

But in our situation, the man of the house works as a computer programmer, and from what I've gleaned from him, at least at the current stage AI can't fully and accurately automate all the things knowledgeable programmers do, it will always have little flaws in the code it spits out that need to be corrected or redirected. So from what I understand, AI can expedite the generation of code, but it still requires human observation. Complex code can break if a single digit is out of place, and AI doesn't always understand the assignment perfectly.

There's also the issue of human intention being required, AI bots can't always glean the subtleties or context of the problems the desired code is meant to solve.

So at least as far as his programming job is concerned, the mister seems cautiously optimistic? Take all of this with a grain of salt of course, computers hurt my brain, but it is a very real issue that we're having to confront right now for the sake of our own financial security.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

Programming jobs will be in high demand because they are going to be the ones telling the AI what to do and creating the parameters for them.

Your SO's job is super secure imo.

I included job loss forecast studies in my research for the five AI events I conceived and hosted for The Center for Inquiry. I'll share a few of them below for your consideration. I agree that it won't be a situation of pure job loss - more of a restructuring, but the transitional period may be incredibly difficult.

According to this McKinsey study, 30% of the world's workforce will lose their job to AI within 7 years. An expected 400 to 800 million people will lose their job due to Artificial Intelligence by 2030, which means a third of the world's workforce loses their livelihoods.

And an Oxford University study from 2013 forecast that 47% of all US jobs will be lost to automation.

And a more recent study by Goldman Sachs in March predicts that 300 Million Jobs Will Be Lost Or Degraded By Artificial Intelligence

The World Economic Forum (WEF) concluded in a 2020 report that 85 million jobs will be displaced by AI.

A 2019 Wells Fargo study concluded that robots would eliminate 200,000 jobs in the banking industry alone within the next 10 years.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

(I'm like this all the time.)

Continuing my ongoing AI research and relating it to current events, I thought I'd address the writer's strike and the potential backlash of movie studios using future iterations of ChatGPT and other AI tools to potentially replace the 180,000 actors and writers who are members of SAG-AFTRA and the WGA.

This week, Fable Studio released Showrunner AI technology, dubbed SHOW-1, which will write, animate, direct, voice, and edit to create TV shows from a text prompt. They prove that their concept works with a 22-minute episode of "South Park" that, surprisingly, is about the impact of AI on the entertainment industry.

This link includes the details of the AI's function and the complete South Park episode it created.

Consider a post-singularity future where shows and films are written AND acted by AI. How will this impact the jobs of writers and actors? Will audiences engage AI-generated TV and film?

I welcome your thoughts!

(I'm like this all the time.)

Quote from: DJChameleon on Jul 17, 2023, 08:35 PMProgramming jobs will be in high demand because they are going to be the ones telling the AI what to do and creating the parameters for them.

Your SO's job is super secure imo.
that's what they said about chess grandmasters 20 years ago lol. 

Imagine not seeing the writing on the wall at this point.  Humans are useless.

Quote from: innerspaceboy on Jul 20, 2023, 12:28 AMI welcome your thoughts!

Not sure how people in the US would feel, but here it might be another argument for implementing the nation wide new standard of 4 days work week or 6 hours workdays.

People work less so you need to employ more people.. although proponents for the 6 hour workday would typically say that most peeps only manage to stay productive for 6 hours anyways and it's cheaper to not have to employ them for the extra time when they're tired and unproductive.

Anyways, I'd welcome either.

Happiness is a warm manatee

Quote from: Guybrush on Jul 20, 2023, 08:27 PMNot sure how people in the US would feel, but here it might be another argument for implementing the nation wide new standard of 4 days work week or 6 hours workdays.

People work less so you need to employ more people.. although proponents for the 6 hour workday would typically say that most peeps only manage to stay productive for 6 hours anyways and it's cheaper to not have to employ them for the extra time when they're tired and unproductive.

Anyways, I'd welcome either.

We need four day work weeks regardless.

My partner actually currently has a four day work week but it's kind of weird scheduling. She has Wednesdays off instead of having like Friday off or Monday off. It will go a long way to help with work/life balance for sure.

Quote from: Jwb on Jul 20, 2023, 06:18 AMthat's what they said about chess grandmasters 20 years ago lol. 

Imagine not seeing the writing on the wall at this point.  Humans are useless.

Are chess grandmasters not a thing nowadays? i don't know because I don't follow them but I believe they still exist. They keep doing those stupid human vs AI chess matches but the human grandmasters are still around.

Chess is alive and well in Norway. Of course, we also have Magnus Carlsen.

In Norway, there's been a lot of talk about AI and cheating at exams and the failing math and grammar skills of even our teachers (!).

And I read this one piece that, among other things, mentioned an example of how, when a school was looking to employ a new teacher, there were grammatical errors in the job advertisement.

My knee jerk reaction is to think that's bad, but on further consideration, maybe it's time to rethink what it is people are supposed to know. Maybe AIs should correct our grammars and know maths and teachers focus more on life skills, sex ed, social interactions, human shit (and hopefully stuff like scepticism and source criticism as we live in a society of information and being able to sort good from bad is preferable).

I learned how to make statistical models to make predictions. It's complicated, especially when your data isn't normally distributed etc. Now you can just feed data into an AI and they make the models in seconds and they're more accurate than the ones you could make.

So let the machines do stuff machines are good at and then humans can focus on things they're good at.

I agree with leaving things to computers if we can, except that I'm not sure about these aprticular examples. Learning maths is also by extension learning analytical reasoning, which is imprtant for people too. And grammar is important in making language understandable; have you ever had to read text with grammar so bad that you can't make out what's being said? I've had that happen with university lecurers and students who were native speakers. It seems potentially dangerous to let people lose their command of grammar to a point where we would be dependent on machines to make their communication understandable

I agree with leaving thigns to computers if we can, except that I'm not sure about these particular examples. Learning maths is also by extension learning analytical reasoning, which is important for people too. And grammar is important in making language understandable; have you ever had to read text with grammar so bad that you can't make out what's being said? I've had that happen with university lecurers and students who were native speakers. It seems potentially dangerous to let people lose their command of grammar to a point where we would be dependent on machines to make communication understandable

Yeah I agree with Marie. Outright delineating decisions or outsourcing knowledge to AI feels like a recipe for disaster. I wouldn't trust ChatGPT to be a substitute for logic, intuition and knowledge as far as I could throw it.

"stressed" is just "desserts" spelled backwards

I actually agree, but I also think this is what's happening and we need to be prepared for it 😅