Quote from: jadis on May 30, 2023, 03:12 PMYeah. After my gf got raped at 15, she couldn't handle anyone's touch on her skin for over a year. She had trouble hugging her grandma. So "it was just a fuck, how could it do all that to you" just doesn't cut it.

I think you could hazard a guess that minimizing her rape is GG's way of coping with it and diminishing its effect on her.

Christ bro, sorry that happened to your GF, people can be so disgusting and awful.

Yeah she's gone through some rough shit as a teenage scene chick in Portland. They got the guy but only cause he raped somebody else, she was in no condition to talk to police

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

Attended a brilliant lecture yesterday by a Princeton historian on the experiences of LGBT people in the workplace in the US. The exact same lecture she gives here minus the Q&A session obv. One of the arguments she makes is that corporations moved earlier toward inclusion than the govt or organized labor 

"Gay workers are a template for post-Fordist employment relations"

Practitioner of Soviet Foucauldian Catholicism

https://twitter.com/shhon_
May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet
Kindness is the highest form of intelligence

May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet

May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet

Living in China vs. Living in USA - How did this happen?

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jun 26, 2023, 05:12 PM

Interesting. Why do you think this is?

It's got me wondering is this a selection bias sort of thing? E.g. Showing one of the best subway stations in China compared to one of the worst subway stations in America (full disclosure, I didn't watch the whole thing, so might've missed that detail if it was clarified)

Quote from: SGR on Jun 27, 2023, 12:15 AMInteresting. Why do you think this is?

It's got me wondering is this a selection bias sort of thing? E.g. Showing one of the best subway stations in China compared to one of the worst subway stations in America (full disclosure, I didn't watch the whole thing, so might've missed that detail if it was clarified)

He has other videos showing other metro stations in China and they all look just as modern and clean as that one. There are other expats living in China with similar videos on YouTube. I haven't been to China and I haven't been to NYC for years, so I can't compare from personal experience. Maybe it has a lot to do with the U.S. spending so much on its military-industrial complex compared to how much it spends on infrastructure? 

May 1st, 2024

Big fan of the Internet

#41 Jun 28, 2023, 03:50 AM Last Edit: Jun 28, 2023, 03:55 AM by Lisnaholic
Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jun 26, 2023, 05:12 PM

Yep, I'm sure that US under-investment in its metro system is the biggest part of the disparity - not just expensive refurbishments, but also in day-to-day maintenance like cleaners + security staff.

TBH, I almost didn't watch your video, Psy-Fi, because of the guy committing two cardinal sins of this type of amateur video: (i) at the start, we are treated to 1 and a half minutes of watching his head bobbing down a street, (ii) his narration is often as redundant as a child's, "Oh look! I can see a cleaner."(China) "This place is dirty."(New York).

But I also like watching stuff about public transport (often UK based); this guy, Jago Hazard, is not without his faults, but he does 2 things well: (i) he keeps himself out of the picture and (ii) he does research.

I hope some of you may like it - especially all the SCD members who delight in the sight of London Tube station buildings from the more-or-less 1920s-1950s

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.

Quote from: Lisnaholic on Jun 28, 2023, 03:50 AMYep, I'm sure that US under-investment in its metro system is the biggest part of the disparity - not just expensive refurbishments, but also in day-to-day maintenance like cleaners + security staff.

TBH, I almost didn't watch your video, Psy-Fi, because of the guy committing two cardinal sins of this type of amateur video: (i) at the start, we are treated to 1 and a half minutes of watching his head bobbing down a street, (ii) his narration is often as redundant as a child's, "Oh look! I can see a cleaner."(China) "This place is dirty."(New York).

But I also like watching stuff about public transport (often UK based); this guy, Jago Hazard, is not without his faults, but he does 2 things well: (i) he keeps himself out of the picture and (ii) he does research.

I hope some of you may like it - especially all the SCD members who delight in the sight of London Tube station buildings from the more-or-less 1920s-1950s

I've been in and out of various London Underground stations all over London countless times but I never paid any attention to the spikes that some roundels have through them. In fact, I never knew they were called "roundels" until I watched that video.

Quote from: Psy-Fi on Jun 28, 2023, 02:04 PMI've been in and out of various London Underground stations all over London countless times but I never paid any attention to the spikes that some roundels have through them. In fact, I never knew they were called "roundels" until I watched that video.

^ Absolutely ditto on every point of your comment, Psy-Fi !

If you want to be reminded of other bits of the London Tube, check out some of JH's other videos, but be warned, they can be a bit nerdy. He tends to dive deep into the ownership/company history of the various rail lines, and never shows enough maps for my liking.

What you desire is of lesser value than what you have found.